Premed 101 Forums

Medical School Preparation- Class of 2017

wow, you are doing your homework! hahah

i believe that Kenmount Terrace is much closer to shopping (Wallmart, Canadian Tire, Sobeys, etc) than airport heights. it may be more convenient for you. however, there is still the stavanger drive shopping area that is semi-close to airport heights. out of both of these options, i would chose kenmount terrace... very new and family oriented!

southlands is also a newer, family oriented area. the only thing i forsee with southlands is that the prices are likely to be higher. it is a new and perhaps a more "affluent" area (not all, but many houses are a little bigger than the average joe haha). southlands is also much farther away from MUN (about a 20-25 minute drive). there are tons of students who make the commute everyday, but it is a little longer especially when the traffic gets bad. southlands however, like kenmount terrace, is literally a 2 minute drive from another shopping center which includes all of the main shops again (Walmart, Dominion, etc).

Airport heights is also very close to shopping. Stavanger Drive is just to the east. Plus you have the plethora of stores all over the east end anyway. It's also probably the quickest drive to get to the university. Kenmount Road is BRUTAL in the morning and afternoon. If you can duck back along Kelsey Drive and get over to Thorborne Road you might be faster, but I'm not sure how much.

Airport heights is also full of young family's since there is many new developments in that area.

Southland is not an "affluent" area in St. John's metro. It's not a poor area, but it's hardly affluent. The East End of St. John's and Waterford Bridge Road area have always been the more affluent areas in the metro region. I would personally avoid being that far out if you have to pay for your living expenses (if it's a free spot, then think of the massive inconvenience as rent). The commute is going to be a pain. To go anywhere besides Walmart/Dominion/Canadian Tire (which is in that power center in Mount Pearl) will take forever. If you want to go out for a drink or to a party, it's gonna cost you a fortune for a cab to St. John's proper and back. If you want to go to a play (or movie, concert, hockey game, shopping at a non big box store etc.), it'll be a massive drive or super expensive cab.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Avoid Mount Pearl/Southland/Goulds/Paradise unless you absolutely have to purchase a cheap house and you already have multiple kids (so you don't really care about being close to amenities or entertainment) or are getting the place for free. If I had to pick among those I would probably pick Paradise.

Bus system in St. John's isn't the best. They are infrequent and take a long time to get anywhere off of a major route. Just bite the bullet and get a car. You don't want to be wasting what little free time you have riding the bus 1-2 hours every day. Plus you will need to get to different sites throughout the year (St. Claire's, Miller Center, random family clinics, breast screening center etc.). And you basically need one for clerkship anyway.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, so I am getting really anxious about money to find a place and get settled in St. John's after graduation. I called Memorial to ask what the process was and pretty much I can get confirmation of enrollment after sending my updated transcript that states I have graduated (to Carms). Does anyone how soon they process graduations before the actual ceremony? The ceremony is May 30 but we will have our final marks way before then, I am hoping I can get a transcript with graduation status soon after my final marks are in?? Does anyone have experience with how long that would take? I would really like my money end of May -early June , not just cause I want it but kind of need it for my family.

OK, so I am getting really anxious about money to find a place and get settled in St. John's after graduation. I called Memorial to ask what the process was and pretty much I can get confirmation of enrollment after sending my updated transcript that states I have graduated (to Carms). Does anyone how soon they process graduations before the actual ceremony? The ceremony is May 30 but we will have our final marks way before then, I am hoping I can get a transcript with graduation status soon after my final marks are in?? Does anyone have experience with how long that would take? I would really like my money end of May -early June , not just cause I want it but kind of need it for my family.

Have you talked to any banks about what they need in order to get the LOC process started? Are there other student LOCs you could apply for in the meantime? (My bank has been sending me offers for a low-interest LOC based on my current program, dietetics.) Any other sources of short term loans you could access at your current university that you could then pay back when you get your LOC?

Hey guys! I got my LOC from CIBC already. However, I have a house in my name so that may have allowed them to speed up the process. Just a thought in case you hadn't tried them! Good Luck

WHAT!! wow thanks jock2doc!! what information did they want from you? I have 30,000 in student LOC that is in pretty good standing, I think some good credit already so maybe not being a new credit customer will help? I may need to change banks (with TD), also I should have inquired into other banks earlier as I have been paying a lot in bank fees. I do get good service though.

Does anyone how soon they process graduations before the actual ceremony? The ceremony is May 30 but we will have our final marks way before then, I am hoping I can get a transcript with graduation status soon after my final marks are in?? Does anyone have experience with how long that would take? I would really like my money end of May -early June , not just cause I want it but kind of need it for my family.

Hi Silvantes,

When I graduated from Dal last year, I "officially" graduated on May 15th - this is the date that my transcript was done. The ceremony was on the 23rd I believe. So, your transcript will be done before the ceremony for sure, I think it just depends on a school-by-school basis how early it is available. Mine was a good two weeks earlier.

There was also an option at Dal to request a transcript to be sent and checking off the box saying "as soon as final marks are in", so basically they would hold sending it off until all your marks are in, but you can submit the request ahead of time. I believe this was also the case for the classes I took through UNB this fall.

Good luck!

Hi Silvantes,

When I graduated from Dal last year, I "officially" graduated on May 15th - this is the date that my transcript was done. The ceremony was on the 23rd I believe. So, your transcript will be done before the ceremony for sure, I think it just depends on a school-by-school basis how early it is available. Mine was a good two weeks earlier.

There was also an option at Dal to request a transcript to be sent and checking off the box saying "as soon as final marks are in", so basically they would hold sending it off until all your marks are in, but you can submit the request ahead of time. I believe this was also the case for the classes I took through UNB this fall.

Good luck!

Thank You!!! hopefully I will get the money sooner rather than later.

I called my bank hoping for more info. my actual banker is always busy as he's pretty cool but I spoke with another guy who said all I need is the acceptance letter :eek: but.... told me the max was 200k... my actual banker said it had been increased to 250k...I made an appointment to straighten things out as I already went to the bank after my acceptance and he said I had to wait. We shall see, I will make appointments with other banks depending.. Thanks everyone for your help!!!:) feeling like I may not be soo stressed until my move.

I called my bank hoping for more info. my actual banker is always busy as he's pretty cool but I spoke with another guy who said all I need is the acceptance letter :eek: but.... told me the max was 200k... my actual banker said it had been increased to 250k...I made an appointment to straighten things out as I already went to the bank after my acceptance and he said I had to wait. We shall see, I will make appointments with other banks depending.. Thanks everyone for your help!!!:) feeling like I may not be soo stressed until my move.

What month are you moving again? I will also be doing to u-haul ferry special, and I haven't even begun to consider apartments or houses. I can't stand the St. John's market, and I only take a look when experiments are going particularly poorly.

What month are you moving again? I will also be doing to u-haul ferry special, and I haven't even begun to consider apartments or houses. I can't stand the St. John's market, and I only take a look when experiments are going particularly poorly.

July or August ..possibly will pay for June for the right place but we cannot be there until earliest early July...we would have to give our notice a month early and leave depending on the ferry however, it is soo long it only runs every couple days. The ferry only starts the Argentia route in June I believe so I have heard it can get busy, I want to find a place and book those things ASAP. I have done a lot of UHaul renting and would also recommend people reserve at least a couple weeks in advance probably much earlier as they book up and wont let you know they do not have a UHaul for you until the day before :eek: ...had it happen... and this is not a move we can make multiple trips with just a pick-up truck. It is rough rental market..you'll make up for that cheap tuition...looking around 1500/month for my family, biting the bullet.:)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm wondering if anyone has any idea of what the orientation schedule might be like? I have a couple of friends hoping to visit St. John's at the end of August but I'm not sure whether we'll be busy with orientation..? : )

last year it was August 20-24 and then sessions started Septmeber 4. I figure it will be similar this year maybe August 19-23 this year? let me know if you find out for sure!

Here's the handbook:

http://www.med.mun.ca/getdoc/7c8b3704-2c46-4342-a579-b3c2cc2028bd/The-Handbook---a-student-reference-for-the-MD-Prog.aspx

last year it was August 20-24 and then sessions started Septmeber 4. I figure it will be similar this year maybe August 19-23 this year? let me know if you find out for sure!

Here's the handbook:

http://www.med.mun.ca/getdoc/7c8b3704-2c46-4342-a579-b3c2cc2028bd/The-Handbook---a-student-reference-for-the-MD-Prog.aspx

AHA! I've been looking for that book (not very hard, but trying to find it since pre-interviews when I first read it). Thanks :D

Orientation will probably be in the last week of August or the 3rd week... But its a very jammed back week!! Starts Monday morning with things going on every day and night. Take advantage and dont miss out on the bonding opportunities! It will be one of the funniest weeks of your life . Make sure you go to all the events!

Here's the handbook:

The Handbook and Mun Diary were wrong last year. Our orientation was August 27-31, and then classes started on September 4th.

I would imagine that your classes will start the Tuesday after Labour Day and that orientation would be the week before that. You will find out once you get your orientation package (over the summer?).

Like CoffeeNut said, its jammed with activities, you should try to attend all of them, this is when you get to know your classmates!

The Handbook and Mun Diary were wrong last year. Our orientation was August 27-31, and then classes started on September 4th.

I would imagine that your classes will start the Tuesday after Labour Day and that orientation would be the week before that. You will find out once you get your orientation package (over the summer?).

Like CoffeeNut said, its jammed with activities, you should try to attend all of them, this is when you get to know your classmates!

Thank You, that is certainly good to know! so most likely last week of August.

Archived