Premed 101 Forums

Medical School Preparation- Class of 2017

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I click on Medicine 2012-2013 nothing shows up. I guess you are good to go and everything is confirmed!

oh never thought about it that way! haha

How did you guys get your student number? Do we have to call in?

my undergrad was completed @ Memorial so I just use that student number

When I click on Medicine 2012-2013 nothing shows up. I guess you are good to go and everything is confirmed!

I just took a look at mine. My seat is confirmed, deposit paid and everything is good to go but I'm not showing a registration time either. However, if I go to the financial information page it shows that I paid $200 towards the 2013-2014 Medicine term.

I guess it's different for everyone...

Do we need student IDs or MUN e-mails to register? Do we get IDs as soon as we are confirmed with transcript or do we have to register to get these things?

I keep checking transcript to see if it will be updated before actual convocation, I have heard that sometimes it comes through on transcript before.

I would also like to know before I move if I will need any criminal check done through here (Saint John) first. I believe I have all my immunization documents from family doc already....

Do we need student IDs or MUN e-mails to register? Do we get IDs as soon as we are confirmed with transcript or do we have to register to get these things?

I keep checking transcript to see if it will be updated before actual convocation, I have heard that sometimes it comes through on transcript before.

I would also like to know before I move if I will need any criminal check done through here (Saint John) first. I believe I have all my immunization documents from family doc already....

In order to register, you need to log into mun self service which needs a student ID and a password. When you officially become a mun student they will give you a student ID and temporary password. I hope this helps and hopefully we will all get more info soon!

Would July be too late to venture down to St Johns to find myself a place? I have options of mid June and mid July to travel over (I don't want to sign a lease without actually seeing the place...). I just have no idea exactly how competitive the market is.

Would July be too late to venture down to St Johns to find myself a place? I have options of mid June and mid July to travel over (I don't want to sign a lease without actually seeing the place...). I just have no idea exactly how competitive the market is.

I had to sign my lease without seeing the place (although it is brand new) I would suggest skype, they can always carry their device around the place and lots of pictures. My wife must have asked the owner a thousand questions before we signed (And then after we e-mailed the deposit we were waiting anxiously for the receipt). Make a list of things you want to know. Also the place we wanted advertised for May but we wanted June so I mentioned what we were there for and we wanted to sign a year lease hoping to not move again and he was more than happy to help us out and offer June occupancy (even though we wont be moving in until June 22). I think that July is quite late but I am a new comer as well so maybe it's not. Also St. John's does have short term rentals for worst case scenario (and there is always bunking with someone). I had to get mine early for the family but if I was going it alone I probably wouldn't worry as much. Good luck! Only slightly over 3 weeks left for me until I am a Newfoundlander.

You can always ask them for references too.

My landlords were reasonable, told them I wasn't moving to SJ full time until mid august but would like the keys mid july and he let me sign by just paying half rent for june and july. From my experience it was pretty competitive trying to find a decent apartment. A lot don't have laundry machines and are plus utilities which would get super expensive. While looking a ton of people I would contact would say they just rented it out even though the kijiji ad would be 2 days old. Good ones go quick even if you find one you like but won't sign a lease till you get down to see it ask to pay the damage deposit or half rent to hold it for a month, that might work.

Cheers,

From my experience the market is pretty competitive. I tried to lease an apartment from a 1 day old kijiji add and by the time I called it had already been taken. I ended up leasing a place without seeing it and will be paying for rent throughout the summer (although I was pretty specific in what I was looking for because I'll be walking to school rather than driving). You may have to scope out options when you go over rather than before because apartments go pretty fast, but it's great that you'll get to see the place before signing the lease!! :)

Are there any areas in St. John's where you would want to avoid living (ie. sketchy, poorer housing conditions, less safe, "ghetto")? I am laughing at myself for asking, but I really have no idea. I don't want to pick somewhere and then learn I'm living in a nightmare area, as a female, by myself (my cat is no bodyguard).

I sent my transcript in today! Has anyone else done this and how long before you received word? and/or your spot was confirmed?

My in laws also bought me a stethoscope for graduation, hopefully I don't lose it in the move..

I pick up my UHaul 2 weeks from Wednesday is anyone else heading up on the first ferry (Argentia) and/or will be there? I hope to be able to meet some of you before orientation.

Also..WTF shooting in kenmount terrace..my new neighborhood...you do not hear of many shootings in suburbs... I slept through a drive-by once in a much more sketchy area while in the US...not something I wanted for my kids nor something I would want especially with the $$ I am spending on rent.... :eek:

It was beautiful here today! Around 20 degrees and sunny...not our typical weather haha. Expect a lot of rain and fog with the occasional nice day.

The shooting that happened came as a shock to me, and likely everyone. You don't hear tell of much violence.. so horrible. I have lived here all of my life and to be honest, I have always felt safe. The shooting, along with much of the news that happens in St. John's, is drug related.

I was told that we will get our student numbers/log-in mid summer when we receive our full package with all the dates and specific information. Everyone who has accepted an offer and paid the downpayment gets this whether having all of their transcripts etc confirmed or not since we don't have to have confirmation in until the first day of class.

I was told that we will get our student numbers/log-in mid summer when we receive our full package with all the dates and specific information. Everyone who has accepted an offer and paid the downpayment gets this whether having all of their transcripts etc confirmed or not since we don't have to have confirmation in until the first day of class.

Yes this package...what is mid -summer? can anyone who knows or has received this magical package in the past give us an estimate of the date? I am sure we are all anxious.

Sooner would be better than later! Like.. this month I hope. The later we get, the less likely I know I am going to be to have everything done on time. Only so many weeks left on the Island, then I have to go to Osheaga (yes, "have to" ;) ). Plus, I'm just impatient!

Archived