Premed 101 Forums

Medical School Preparation- Class of 2017

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
haha silvantes, dt is a bit nuts until you get used to it. my first year of UG i was petrified driving

Haha I rented a car after interviews and zipped around for a day, it didn't seem too bad. Maybe that's because islanders are also crazy drivers. I'm so excited! The whole family is making a road trip of moving me up.

Yeah, we drove by and it was pretty clear the new building probably wouldn't be ready in time. Thanks for the info about our packages, I just got my new mailbox key and my confirmation letter from MUN was in there!

We have been staying around Kenmount as it is a good area and downtown/uptown there is a ton of one way, no turn and weird street maneuvers lol and everyone seems to drive faster, I figured Kenmount Rd. speed limit was 70 as that was what people were doing and it turns out the sign posted was 50, also not so much stopping at stop signs hahaha I've gotten used to it not sure the wife will. We are also looking into some programs for the children (daycare) just for a couple of weeks for my wife and I to spend the days together or for ourselves as we have never gotten a break. Hopefully we are all rested and happy come late August. Good Luck to all of you with the move ahead, it was pretty exhausting for my wife and I.:)

Yeah, we drove by and it was pretty clear the new building probably wouldn't be ready in time. Thanks for the info about our packages, I just got my new mailbox key and my confirmation letter from MUN was in there!

We have been staying around Kenmount as it is a good area and downtown/uptown there is a ton of one way, no turn and weird street maneuvers lol and everyone seems to drive faster, I figured Kenmount Rd. speed limit was 70 as that was what people were doing and it turns out the sign posted was 50, also not so much stopping at stop signs hahaha I've gotten used to it not sure the wife will. We are also looking into some programs for the children (daycare) just for a couple of weeks for my wife and I to spend the days together or for ourselves as we have never gotten a break. Hopefully we are all rested and happy come late August. Good Luck to all of you with the move ahead, it was pretty exhausting for my wife and I.:)

hah yeah the general rule is to stick to 15 over the posted speed limit. On kenmount, the speedlimit it 60 when you're up past kenmount terrace but once you head a little more east it decreases to 50

I'm planning the move and wondering whether to bring my bike or sell it before moving..suggestions on biking in St. John's? :)

there are some amazing trails around central/north end of the city. A lot of people tell me the city isn't 'bike friendly', I guess in regards to street riding.

I was thinking of getting a bike to ride to school on nice days so my wife could keep the car if she doesn't want to drive me, but the route is extremely busy and fast paced from Kenmount area to campus, I would probably die, and I have seen few walkers and no bikers. haha unfortunately I am not much of an outdoorsman so biking in a park or on trails wouldn't appeal to me but I am sure it is beautiful, it has been quite cold the past few days but were hoping for warmer weather.

Any info on good parks for kids with playgrounds etc. from those familiar with the area would be great! There is a small playground in my sub division but it is pretty small and not very flat. Also any good restaurants? any ones to avoid? good shopping? Is Avalon mall the only mall? We are in our exploring phase lol

I was thinking of getting a bike to ride to school on nice days so my wife could keep the car if she doesn't want to drive me, but the route is extremely busy and fast paced from Kenmount area to campus, I would probably die, and I have seen few walkers and no bikers. haha unfortunately I am not much of an outdoorsman so biking in a park or on trails wouldn't appeal to me but I am sure it is beautiful, it has been quite cold the past few days but were hoping for warmer weather.

Any info on good parks for kids with playgrounds etc. from those familiar with the area would be great! There is a small playground in my sub division but it is pretty small and not very flat. Also any good restaurants? any ones to avoid? good shopping? Is Avalon mall the only mall? We are in our exploring phase lol

I think Quidi Vidi has a park there.. or something, I never actually went to check it out, but i always see kids there lol. Bowring Park is the best place to take your kids on a summer day (I assume lol). Outdoor pool, huge playground (they have one area where there's squishy pavement.. I don't know how to explain it but when I was there it was the coolest thing to walk on ever), great scenery, and usually there is a festival/band playing at the bottom of the hill. Avalon Mall gets the most traffic, there's also the Village mall on Topsail and Columbus. Stavanger has a large quantity of shopping stores. I recently went to The Club (restaurant/bar), AMAZING food and good prices. A spot to go without the kids though, probably haha

Biking would be great exercise, but a little risky on Kenmount road. Would you consider the metrobus? Route 16 goes from Kenmount terrace to MUN and I believe it is around $2

Biking would be great exercise, but a little risky on Kenmount road. Would you consider the metrobus? Route 16 goes from Kenmount terrace to MUN and I believe it is around $2

I would consider the bus if I had to lol It really doesn't seem far to the school.

I think Quidi Vidi has a park there.. or something, I never actually went to check it out, but i always see kids there lol. Bowring Park is the best place to take your kids on a summer day (I assume lol). Outdoor pool, huge playground (they have one area where there's squishy pavement.. I don't know how to explain it but when I was there it was the coolest thing to walk on ever), great scenery, and usually there is a festival/band playing at the bottom of the hill. Avalon Mall gets the most traffic, there's also the Village mall on Topsail and Columbus. Stavanger has a large quantity of shopping stores. I recently went to The Club (restaurant/bar), AMAZING food and good prices. A spot to go without the kids though, probably haha

Thank for the info. We actually went to Bowring today because of your post, great place. My wife and I enjoyed the scenery and the kids loved to play. The splash pad didn't seem to be working ? which was a bummer but overall we had a good day. We also went up to signal hill, my oldest was scared of all the wind, we probably picked the windiest day to go up there although it always seems really windy here. We are hoping to get out to some festivities tomorrow, I think some things are going on at confederation hill?

And we do need to get a babysitter to get out at night, anyone know any babysitters? haha

Went to see Great Big Sea last night. Lets just say I'm that much more excited to get to the Rock!

i heard metric spooked off on Friday and a lot of people were bummed. Glad to hear you had a good time at GBS, there's no shortage of traditional music in the downtown pubs/bars!

Hoping for those packages soon!

My family and I have are having a great time here and we have almost got everything swapped, had my nb medicare cancelled only to find out I still need it. My wife had been calling around to see where we fit as I go through nb loans yet my whole family is moving with me and I have no nb address (they cannot send medicare cards out of province) I had to give them my mother in laws address but a while back they told my wife we had to apply here? Thankful it is sorted out now. So.... Do we need to swap vehicle registration and license as a student? I already have NL insurance as my company wouldn't cover me.

Hoping for those packages soon!

My family and I have are having a great time here and we have almost got everything swapped, had my nb medicare cancelled only to find out I still need it. My wife had been calling around to see where we fit as I go through nb loans yet my whole family is moving with me and I have no nb address (they cannot send medicare cards out of province) I had to give them my mother in laws address but a while back they told my wife we had to apply here? Thankful it is sorted out now. So.... Do we need to swap vehicle registration and license as a student? I already have NL insurance as my company wouldn't cover me.

When I was debating doing this about a month ago or so I found that if I switch my vehicle and license to my newfoundland address my insurance is substantially cheaper than leaving it at my ontario address (from going to Western) so it might be cheaper in the long run to change it.

Hey, a little more news, a friend called in to change some mailing info, and the staff at munmed said the orientation packages are going out wednesday this week! Super excited now! :D I don't know about you guys, but I am so stoked for O-week. Also, not sure if everyone knows this yet, just cause I creep on the MUNmed website so much, but here's a drafted template that keeps getting updated of our schedule up until February-ish http://www.med.mun.ca/getattachment/a0403d90-e2db-494e-8888-614b5f997842/Phase1_Schedule-xlsx.aspx

When I was debating doing this about a month ago or so I found that if I switch my vehicle and license to my newfoundland address my insurance is substantially cheaper than leaving it at my ontario address (from going to Western) so it might be cheaper in the long run to change it.

I'm keeping all mine under PEI. When I looked into it, NL insurance is a lot higher for me because there is moose there... No moose on the sandbar! I'm also getting PEI student loans, keeping my PEI health card, and filing my taxes as a resident of PEI, so it only makes sense.

Hey guys!

I noticed on my self-service that 17 people are already registered for classes. I myself cannot register even though my academic program says "Medicine 2013-2014". When I go under the registration tab it says I have no available registration times (except July 19th for the Fall 2013 semester). I'm not overly worried because we haven't gotten our "packages" and I know my spot is saved, I'm just wondering if anyone else is in this boat?

Thanks!

Hey guys!

I noticed on my self-service that 17 people are already registered for classes. I myself cannot register even though my academic program says "Medicine 2013-2014". When I go under the registration tab it says I have no available registration times (except July 19th for the Fall 2013 semester). I'm not overly worried because we haven't gotten our "packages" and I know my spot is saved, I'm just wondering if anyone else is in this boat?

Thanks!

I registered, but thats just because it was open for me and i decided to just add a bunch of courses that seemed correct lol. since there's only a select number of seats, there wont be a shortage of class spots - nothin' to worry about for sure

Archived