Premed 101 Forums

Medical School Preparation- Class of 2017

Some of the houses in Kenmount Terrance are of crap quality though. I remember being in one house with music on moderately loud, but not blasting, and the neighbours hearing it clear as a bell next door, despite both houses having windows closed. These were not attached houses.

Of course, if you aren't buying this isn't as much of a concern.

I won't be around during the day much and I cannot have loud music past 7PM as we have the kids in bed between 7-8PM every night. They are loud and crazy during the day but they sleep well.. 7PM -7AM give or take..and of course there is the special night exception... Hopefully we don't hear anyone's music too bad...haha. The new houses all seem to look nice, and it looks as if there are some areas with playgrounds.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think kenmount terrace is a lovely place to live from personal experience. All of the houses are new, there are a lot of young families, and the streets are relatively quiet and out of the way from the city traffic. A huge benefit is that you will be minutes away from Walmart, Sobeys, Canadian tire, Home Depot, the Avalon mall and all kinds of restaurants. Kenmount terrace is also on a school bus route to Larkhall Academy and Leary's Brook Junior high as far as I know. I attended both and they are great schools with fantastic teachers. Just thought you may want some of this info, hope it helps!

I think kenmount terrace is a lovely place to live from personal experience. All of the houses are new, there are a lot of young families, and the streets are relatively quiet and out of the way from the city traffic. A huge benefit is that you will be minutes away from Walmart, Sobeys, Canadian tire, Home Depot, the Avalon mall and all kinds of restaurants. Kenmount terrace is also on a school bus route to Larkhall Academy and Leary's Brook Junior high as far as I know. I attended both and they are great schools with fantastic teachers. Just thought you may want some of this info, hope it helps!

Thank You very much for the specific info. It is hard to see these things on google maps and have a sense of what the actual landscape is like when it comes to nearby amenities. We live for Wal-Mart, we only have a regular one here but they are about to upgrade it, is the one there a Super? :)

Thank You very much for the specific info. It is hard to see these things on google maps and have a sense of what the actual landscape is like when it comes to nearby amenities. We live for Wal-Mart, we only have a regular one here but they are about to upgrade it, is the one there a Super? :)

No it's not a Super...they are building one on the East End off of Stavanger Drive.

No it's not a Super...they are building one on the East End off of Stavanger Drive.

If the one in Kelsey drive isn't considered to be a Super, I can't imagine what is... This Super Walmart store you speak of must be a monstrous and terrifying thing...

If the one in Kelsey drive isn't considered to be a Super, I can't imagine what is... This Super Walmart store you speak of must be a monstrous and terrifying thing...

hahaha, they are pretty massive, regular wal-mart+ and full grocery pretty much. TERRIFYING.. I don't care to shop there but it's cheap, kids shoes for as low as 8-10$, 4$ shirts and pants for kids... but the people are crazy.. like really crazy....

Did anyone get a confirmation from MUN after having sent the acceptance and deposit in? I called them to make sure they got it (which they did), but me being myself, I was hoping to get paper proof. I'm still in the stage where I am not sure that this is real life!

Did anyone get a confirmation from MUN after having sent the acceptance and deposit in? I called them to make sure they got it (which they did), but me being myself, I was hoping to get paper proof. I'm still in the stage where I am not sure that this is real life!

The only thing I received was a receipt for the deposit. Came a couple weeks after I sent the money in.

Anyone having luck with housing? I have been seeing a few things pop up for summer, also looked at the off-campus housing listed, I however cannot post a wanted ad yet myself. Classes almost over, soo ready to be done with this stuff and move on haha

I've been looking, but most leases right now are for May 1st. I would be looking for August 1 ideally, so I'm mostly just trying to get an idea of what's offered where and for what price range. My mom and I will probably go up late June or early July to find and sign a place, then come back in August to move in.

I don't think I would sign for a place without physically being there to look at it first. I also have a cat that I refuse to leave behind, so finding a place that allows animals that is half decent is proving to be easier said than done.

I've been looking, but most leases right now are for May 1st. I would be looking for August 1 ideally, so I'm mostly just trying to get an idea of what's offered where and for what price range. My mom and I will probably go up late June or early July to find and sign a place, then come back in August to move in.

I don't think I would sign for a place without physically being there to look at it first. I also have a cat that I refuse to leave behind, so finding a place that allows animals that is half decent is proving to be easier said than done.

Yeah, I have noticed a lot of no pet ads. I also have a cat but she is not vital and will probably stay behind with family (my wife doesn't want her anyway) I was looking for July or August but I heard there is more of a summer rush so I am hoping to get something for June 1. I have someone I trust going to St. John's to hopefully secure something, I do not think I will be able to head over as it quite expensive to do so and there are some family issues as of late, good news comes with bad I guess....

On another note, I had my FD do some bloods and I am immune to everything (minus mumps but I have had the shot and apparently the bloods can give false negatives) and she has found my records of everything. I am also legit borderline Asthma per testing so I am getting some just in case inhalers. Trying to get everything squared away early so it is not a crazy summer. It also looks like I will be doing some paid research at UNBSJ during the summer so I might have to come back down and stay with someone if I have already moved.

Yeah, I have noticed a lot of no pet ads. I also have a cat but she is not vital and will probably stay behind with family (my wife doesn't want her anyway) I was looking for July or August but I heard there is more of a summer rush so I am hoping to get something for June 1. I have someone I trust going to St. John's to hopefully secure something, I do not think I will be able to head over as it quite expensive to do so and there are some family issues as of late, good news comes with bad I guess....

On another note, I had my FD do some bloods and I am immune to everything (minus mumps but I have had the shot and apparently the bloods can give false negatives) and she has found my records of everything. I am also legit borderline Asthma per testing so I am getting some just in case inhalers. Trying to get everything squared away early so it is not a crazy summer. It also looks like I will be doing some paid research at UNBSJ during the summer so I might have to come back down and stay with someone if I have already moved.

Many people our age aren't immune to mumps anymore since most of us only got a single MMR vaccine. I have seen a case in ER of a 30-ish guy with mumps for exactly that reason. Both myself and my wife had to get a reboots MMR a few years ago.

If you are testing as not immune to mumps and you only had a single MMR, I would strongly consider that you are no longer immune and get an MMR booster.

Many people our age aren't immune to mumps anymore since most of us only got a single MMR vaccine. I have seen a case in ER of a 30-ish guy with mumps for exactly that reason. Both myself and my wife had to get a reboots MMR a few years ago.

If you are testing as not immune to mumps and you only had a single MMR, I would strongly consider that you are no longer immune and get an MMR booster.

Thank you! I will look into that.. I thought I read we do TB testing as a class?

Also, Is anyone who has been accepted to MUN done anything about their LOC yet? I am starting to get anxious as I am running out of money. Once I send my transcript how soon will I get confirmation and can we register only from June 1 on? Anyone who has done this before how early have you received LOC? Should I maybe contact admissions once I submit final transcript...also when do we get our e-mail etc.? after registration?

sorry guys, just anxious for the LOC, kids will be needing some new clothes and I was hoping to have a grad/acceptance party/get-together, nothing fancy but I wont have any money for anything until LOC.

I was wondering if MUN has an immunization form for us to submit? I have found one online but I'm not sure if it the most recent one.

As for LOC, I had a meeting with RBC recently, since I graduated last May, they were going to give it to me right away. However, I decided to wait to make sure that it is definitely MUN that I will be attending, as they said they have to resubmit it based on which school/program you are going to. I thought the acceptance letter was enough, but maybe they do need the confirmation of enrollment, I'm not sure. They told me it only takes like 2 days to process once I decide where I am going, as I will need to start renting as soon as I know.

I was wondering if MUN has an immunization form for us to submit? I have found one online but I'm not sure if it the most recent one.

As for LOC, I had a meeting with RBC recently, since I graduated last May, they were going to give it to me right away. However, I decided to wait to make sure that it is definitely MUN that I will be attending, as they said they have to resubmit it based on which school/program you are going to. I thought the acceptance letter was enough, but maybe they do need the confirmation of enrollment, I'm not sure. They told me it only takes like 2 days to process once I decide where I am going, as I will need to start renting as soon as I know.

OK great! Thanks docspice..Maybe as soon as I graduate I can get the LOC with my proof of degree and acceptance letter (currently hung on wall lol) June 1 seems so far away for registration if we have to wait...

As for immunizations I just took information from the med handbook from MUN went to my family doc to see if I was immune, she ran bloods but also came across my childhood form I lost. I wanted to get on top of some things but I really don't think it's a big deal from what I have heard. I think that all that information will also be in our package we get in the summer (source Blade Runner) I wish we got something sooner. I also assume info. about when /how we get the criminal record check will be included in the package.

Went and ordered my immunization record today, submitted a request for a criminal record check, and made an appointment with my doctor for bloodwork!

Just starting to get the ball rolling, because my week days off from now until the end of July are few and far between. Also made an appointment to discuss my LOC for a month or so from now, again no rush. Now if only CaRMS would scan my transcript for my English courses, and then I will officially be in!

Went and ordered my immunization record today, submitted a request for a criminal record check, and made an appointment with my doctor for bloodwork!

Just starting to get the ball rolling, because my week days off from now until the end of July are few and far between. Also made an appointment to discuss my LOC for a month or so from now, again no rush. Now if only CaRMS would scan my transcript for my English courses, and then I will officially be in!

can we request a criminal record check yet? When I have asked for them in the past our PD needed a branded letter. Ah CaRMS..hoping the new system won't take longer for things to be verified.

can we request a criminal record check yet? When I have asked for them in the past our PD needed a branded letter. Ah CaRMS..hoping the new system won't take longer for things to be verified.

The lady at the RCMP barracks here let me do it with just the acceptance, which I thought was unusual but I just rolled with it. I need a record check done by next week for something else (getting trained to join PEI Ground Search and Rescue - cool!) so I'm getting two birds with one stone. I don't know if it would be so easy elsewhere.

The lady at the RCMP barracks here let me do it with just the acceptance, which I thought was unusual but I just rolled with it. I need a record check done by next week for something else (getting trained to join PEI Ground Search and Rescue - cool!) so I'm getting two birds with one stone. I don't know if it would be so easy elsewhere.

haha nice, thanks for letting me know. Ground search and rescue that sounds cool, what are you doing that for? Also I am pretty sure we need the first aid CPR basic course, I believe that is on a yearly basis, I have my medical first responder which obviously covers all that but is on a 3 year renewal, I am sure I am covered but if anyone has any info on that it would be appreciated. I will probably wait for the summer package to get my criminal check.

For those of you familiar with NL I have a few houses I have narrowed down my search to... Kenmount Terrace which I have heard is fine...what is there around Airport Heights?? I was pretty sure someone mentioned Kenmount being around some good shopping etc. What can I expect from Airport heights ..and will it be within good distance those things? If anyone knows? and...I really have not heard anything about Southlands?? what is that place like? I am really looking for a family area.

For those of you familiar with NL I have a few houses I have narrowed down my search to... Kenmount Terrace which I have heard is fine...what is there around Airport Heights?? I was pretty sure someone mentioned Kenmount being around some good shopping etc. What can I expect from Airport heights ..and will it be within good distance those things? If anyone knows? and...I really have not heard anything about Southlands?? what is that place like? I am really looking for a family area.

wow, you are doing your homework! hahah

i believe that Kenmount Terrace is much closer to shopping (Wallmart, Canadian Tire, Sobeys, etc) than airport heights. it may be more convenient for you. however, there is still the stavanger drive shopping area that is semi-close to airport heights. out of both of these options, i would chose kenmount terrace... very new and family oriented!

southlands is also a newer, family oriented area. the only thing i forsee with southlands is that the prices are likely to be higher. it is a new and perhaps a more "affluent" area (not all, but many houses are a little bigger than the average joe haha). southlands is also much farther away from MUN (about a 20-25 minute drive). there are tons of students who make the commute everyday, but it is a little longer especially when the traffic gets bad. southlands however, like kenmount terrace, is literally a 2 minute drive from another shopping center which includes all of the main shops again (Walmart, Dominion, etc).

I was wondering if anyone knows how reliable the bus system is in St. John's? Can a person count on them to get you from say downtown area to Health Science every day for class? (I was looking at it and I think the #10 goes that route). I don't think I can get anything close enough to be walking distance to the medical school, and though I have my license, I don't really want to get a car until I absolutely have to.

I was wondering if anyone knows how reliable the bus system is in St. John's? Can a person count on them to get you from say downtown area to Health Science every day for class? (I was looking at it and I think the #10 goes that route). I don't think I can get anything close enough to be walking distance to the medical school, and though I have my license, I don't really want to get a car until I absolutely have to.

It's plenty reliable, just not the most frequent. You'll be fine if you get into a routine and memorize certain times you have to leave for class when getting the bus. The only unfortunate thing is it's not like bigger cities like Toronto where you can walk out the door and wait for the bus without checking the time because it comes so regularly. Also, depending where you are downtown, you can probably walk within 30-40 minutes at worse.

I have a contact heading to St. John's in over a week and someone wants me to view their home this week (possible skype I guess) I do not know what to do about deposit...I can send an e-mail transfer but don't want someone to run off with my money.. Also someone mentioned a lease with an annual 7% escalation..?? does this sound reasonable?

Archived