Premed 101 Forums

Cardiology Salary

How much does the average cardiologist take home approximately every year in Canada. Is it difficult to get a job as a cardiologist in Toronto after completing residency/fellow-ships?

This guy, honestly... not in med school yet and he's asking about things that residents don't even worry about until PGY-2.

So I'm guessing it's tough to come back to Toronto?

In general yes, and the market is pretty saturated in cardiology overall - people are finding it challenging to find work currently etc.

As a side note - predicting how much a field will make in close to 15 years from now is very difficult (undergrad, med school, residency and at least one, likely 2 years of fellowship, ahhh possible grad degree in there) - the government has a tendency to eventually knock down any field that is earning too much for instance. Not fast, but does eventually occur.

interventional jobs are v difficult to land I hear. General and echo are much better but I guess still not that great. the more rural you go the easier it is, like every other specialty.

and they just cut into echo services quite a bit in the last fee schedule in terms of limiting routine scans.

It is like anything in life - if people think there is an easy path to something they flock that way and in so doing actually make that path not that easy at all. Expect the government to take a swipe at anything that looks relatively over paid.

Archived