Premed 101 Forums

Stethoscope colour

Yes, why wouldn't they?

A doctor I used to shadow told me to purchase a black one as its more neutral and professional..but then again..its all subjective.

However, your personality and how you are with the patient .. would be a lot more important than the color of your stethoscope ;).

I have a dark purple one. My personal feeling is that darker colours are just as good as black, but I probably wouldn't have gone with a bright colour.

But that's just me.

Patients are going to judge and comment on all sorts of things as part of their process of feeling you out. I've had comments and questions on my jewelry, my glasses, my hair, my shoes, where I did my undergraduate degree. FWIW, I have REALLY bright (like neon) glasses frames and most of the patients I see who do comment quite like them. But in the end as long as you don't do anything completely unprofessional, how you interact with the patient will carry the day.

If a bright red stethoscope will make you feel confident, I don't see any harm in it. If it was truly unprofessional, there would be no market and they wouldn't bother selling them.

ha - I don't think it matters. All the colours available are pretty professional to start with - there is no flaming hot neon pink for instance :)

People fixate on small stuff like that but I just don't think anyone cares - some of the top cardiologists I know have colours other than black, who am I question that?

ha - I don't think it matters. All the colours available are pretty professional to start with - there is no flaming hot neon pink for instance :)

People fixate on small stuff like that but I just don't think anyone cares - some of the top cardiologists I know have colours other than black, who am I question that?

You really have to be careful with what you say on the internet.

Did he say something bad? Flaming? He wasn't using it in a derogatory way...flaming hot pink is an actual color.

Yes it is :) I know because I had to order it at a paint store once. Surprisingly expensive actually.

I have never even anyone wear a stethoscope like that - one benefit it is highly unlikely you would ever lose that one!

Yes it is :) I know because I had to order it at a paint store once. Surprisingly expensive actually.

I have never even anyone wear a stethoscope like that - one benefit it is highly unlikely you would ever lose that one!

No, all I meant to say was that you can always count on the internet to correct you. Whether it's a spelling error or, as in this case, the existence of a flaming hot neon pink stethoscope.

Personally, I think it looks fabulous!

Also, I'm curious to know, when would you ever need to buy neon pink paint?

If you're jealous of nurses, what's stopping you from applying to nursing school?

being jealous of their ability to have looser rules with respect to attire is a pretty isolated aspect of the job :)

Docs are positively boring compared to nurses in that department. Scrubs are green, clothes are conservative - ha, sometimes we all look like clones.

Archived