Premed 101 Forums

Med and dating

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone haha. I guess it has always been my dream to marry someone who understands my work... It's draining to always hear "why so you study so much" or "can't you do that later" from past boyfriends

so this is why i was hoping there would be a better chance for me this time around!

Coming from a fellow cat lover - cats are usually less of a hassle than boys! :D

Thanks everyone haha. I guess it has always been my dream to marry someone who understands my work... It's draining to always hear "why so you study so much" or "can't you do that later" from past boyfriends

so this is why i was hoping there would be a better chance for me this time around!

Just wait until you hear...

"YOU CAN'T JUST LEAVE ME EVERYTIME YOUR PAGER GOES OFF!!!!"

"WHY DO YOU HAVE TO SLEEP DURING YOUR POST CALL DAYS?"

"CAN'T YOU JUST ASK FOR THE WEEKEND OFF?"

"WHY ARE YOU STUDYING. YOU ARE ALREADY A DOCTOR."

"YOU SHOULD PAY FOR XYZ BECAUSE YOU ARE A DOCTOR."

:mad: :mad: :mad:

WHAT! Woah by then I'll be in my late 20s!!!!! I'm a female btw...maybe this is okay for guys but definitely a no no for girls.

Haha. In my experience, every guy that I've liked has decided to run for the hills as soon as they either hear that I'm in medicine, or the time involved in medicine.

Unfortunately, sometimes you have to put med first (as a M3, M4, R1)... and I've only butted my head against a brick wall. Guys that wanted to marry me before med school all of a sudden packed up and ran for the hills. When I finally cornered one and asked why - he was like, "You're different! You're confident now!" YES. I AM NOT A SAD SORRY PUPPY.

Medicine does change who you are ... enjoy the ride :)

Haha. In my experience, every guy that I've liked has decided to run for the hills as soon as they either hear that I'm in medicine, or the time involved in medicine.

Unfortunately, sometimes you have to put med first (as a M3, M4, R1)... and I've only butted my head against a brick wall. Guys that wanted to marry me before med school all of a sudden packed up and ran for the hills. When I finally cornered one and asked why - he was like, "You're different! You're confident now!" YES. I AM NOT A SAD SORRY PUPPY.

Medicine does change who you are ... enjoy the ride :)

Well at least this weeds out the weaker men. We deserve real men who can handle confident women, am i right? :)

Well at least this weeds out the weaker men. We deserve real men who can handle confident women, am i right? :)

Amen.

It's actually been a very difficult five years for me on the dating scene. I hope you won't have to go through what I did, but from the word on the street, it's hard for a lady doc to find anyone these days... I do feel that I don't have as much time to commit to a guy vs. some of my colleagues in other professions (ie: one of my teacher friends is going to spend 2 months this summer building a cabin with her husband). I could never take that time as a resident to do something like that - I could financially support a project like that, I guess.

Medicine has been very lonely for me.

Amen.

It's actually been a very difficult five years for me on the dating scene. I hope you won't have to go through what I did, but from the word on the street, it's hard for a lady doc to find anyone these days... I do feel that I don't have as much time to commit to a guy vs. some of my colleagues in other professions (ie: one of my teacher friends is going to spend 2 months this summer building a cabin with her husband). I could never take that time as a resident to do something like that - I could financially support a project like that, I guess.

Medicine has been very lonely for me.

I hear ya. That was undergrad for me.

Did you go to resident parties, etc? Do you socialize a lot or do you prefer to be on your own?

I'm scared now :confused:

I hear ya. That was undergrad for me.

Did you go to resident parties, etc? Do you socialize a lot or do you prefer to be on your own?

I'm scared now :confused:

Well, who are you going to socialize with? What are resident parties? You meet other residents you are on rotations with, I guess. They are all taken. Married. Committed relationships.

Well, who are you going to socialize with? What are resident parties? You meet other residents you are on rotations with, I guess. They are all taken. Married. Committed relationships.

Ah!

I don't know how it is in Alberta but in Toronto I find links for resident parties at clubs etc....

But yeah they could be all taken.

Who are they taken by??? I actually heard that people pair off in orientation week and that pretty much sets the tone for the dating scene....

Ah!

I don't know how it is in Alberta but in Toronto I find links for resident parties at clubs etc....

But yeah they could be all taken.

Who are they taken by??? I actually heard that people pair off in orientation week and that pretty much sets the tone for the dating scene....

Most of my guy friends actually have people from undergrad, or even high school. We have some couples in our med class, but that wouldn't be the tone of it. We have some adorable couples that met in med 2 or 3.

Maybe it's because I"m not a bar person. I don't drink ... my idea of a good night is eating ice cream and watching some Star Trek. :) That being said, I do meet people at work and they are lovely friends, just not dating partners.

Most of my guy friends actually have people from undergrad, or even high school. We have some couples in our med class, but that wouldn't be the tone of it. We have some adorable couples that met in med 2 or 3.

Maybe it's because I"m not a bar person. I don't drink ... my idea of a good night is eating ice cream and watching some Star Trek. :) That being said, I do meet people at work and they are lovely friends, just not dating partners.

Yeah, pretty this is the crux of your dating woes and not the med thing :D

Relationships are overrated. It's always the people who don't have experience with them that seek them so desperately. Stay away..its not worth it.

This isn't the best profession for a family. Unless you're thinking of psych, derm, fam or a specialty where you have time...Iunno. I can't imagine somebody working 65 hours a week as being a family man. Maybe I am just too inexperienced though.

Relationships are overrated. It's always the people who don't have experience with them that seek them so desperately. Stay away..its not worth it.

This isn't the best profession for a family. Unless you're thinking of psych, derm, fam or a specialty where you have time...Iunno. I can't imagine somebody working 65 hours a week as being a family man. Maybe I am just too inexperienced though.

My Father was a family doc who worked 70+ hours a week and still had time for my mother and us three kids. I think that the perceptions of a doctors life is a little skewed here. Growing up I knew a lot of doctors(almost all the doctors my father worked with, of a variety of specialties) who had families and hobbies outside of medicine. You make it sound like this isn't the norm.

I know I don't have time for a very needy partner, but I also know that I probably won't be pulling my fair share of child care either - I am psych, so that makes it a bit easier. I can't see myself having kiddies, because I am so busy, and having busy parents when I was growing up, I know it sucks. I don't think I'm willing to give up my career to bring up my kids.

If a guy wants to be a stay at home dad, I'm okay with that too - I'd just work harder to "bring home the bacon" - but that's not okay with a lot of guys, I guess.

I love Star Trek. TNG, k. Just waiting patiently for my Riker.

You're 18 and late in the game. Soon you'll discover you have a penis. You'll want to use it. You will do so, but only sporadically judging on the social skills and non-charismatic traits you've demonstrated on here so far. From that point on, two things may happen :

1) I'm wrong and you get laid like crazy. After a while, you realize something's missing. You want a stable girl. You go and find her and be happy for a while, relationships aren't so overrated now, are they? But that's until she dumps you (and I can't see how any woman wouldn't do that).

2) You can't dip your love stick anywhere and will settle for a relationship with an unattractive girl just so you can get that liquid stress out every now and then.

My point is - you don't know anything. So don't say anything.