Premed 101 Forums

Med and dating

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is a good looking female med student likely to get snatched up by a male peer ?

If a man is single, nobody thinks much about it. However, society does wonder why an attractive woman is single (especially after 4 years in university). This is when speculation about her history, personality flaws etc come into play. Aside from being fellow medical students, her male peers probably won't be all that different from other guys who have approached her and been rejected. So, unless she's changed something (e.g., preferences, attitude towards dating, etc), I'd say the chances won't be any greater than before.

Hehehe, snatched up? Makes it sound like the female medical students are mice running around for the the male eagles to swoop down and grab. Not exactly the impression I have my colleagues in medical school either way :)

There are some class romances. It is only natural - I mean they are your peer group with similar interests often etc. It isn't extremely widespread (or CARMS would be a whole lot messier) but it does happen.

I wouldn't go after a med student although romances can definitely happen since the student body is always together, tired and run-down and some may be attractive to one. I wouldn't because of the size of the student body, how close people are to one another, etc. Sounds like a lot of gossip could be had and I try to stay clear of that. While plans do not always pan out, I am planning to find someone studying in my previous bachelor's field of study.

If a man is single, nobody thinks much about it. However, society does wonder why an attractive woman is single (especially after 4 years in university). This is when speculation about her history, personality flaws etc come into play. Aside from being fellow medical students, her male peers probably won't be all that different from other guys who have approached her and been rejected. So, unless she's changed something (e.g., preferences, attitude towards dating, etc), I'd say the chances won't be any greater than before.

Sure I can see your point but some people are not interested in dating in undergrad... or want someone with similar interests as themselves hence wait until med school. I know lots of normal single chicks in med!

Sure I can see your point but some people are not interested in dating in undergrad... or want someone with similar interests as themselves hence wait until med school. I know lots of normal single chicks in med!

People in med school are not necessarily more likely to have similar interests. The only thing somewhat guaranteed is having an interest in medicine, and the nature of that interest could be completely different.

The person you date, assuming you're going for a longer-term relationship, is the person you'll be spending your time with away of school/work - unless you're keen on also working with your partner, having similar work interests isn't all that important. There will definitely be couples in any med class, because people in the class happen to have other interests which are similar and because there will be an increased opportunity for those individuals to meet. But that doesn't mean the best match for a med student is another med student!

Plus, things can get nasty quickly if a relationship doesn't work out! :(

Going from not being interested in dating during undergrad, to becoming interested during med school is a change in attitude to dating, which I mentioned in my previous post. It's possible to find someone with similar interests during undergrad (e.g., among guys who are aiming for medical school). So I'm not going to count that one unless you were specifically after a future doctor.

People in med school are not necessarily more likely to have similar interests. The only thing somewhat guaranteed is having an interest in medicine, and the nature of that interest could be completely different.

The person you date, assuming you're going for a longer-term relationship, is the person you'll be spending your time with away of school/work - unless you're keen on also working with your partner, having similar work interests isn't all that important. There will definitely be couples in any med class, because people in the class happen to have other interests which are similar and because there will be an increased opportunity for those individuals to meet. But that doesn't mean the best match for a med student is another med student!

Plus, things can get nasty quickly if a relationship doesn't work out! :(

Yeah may not be the best match :) Still you are far more likely to have interests similar to a medical student than a random person in the population - plus the classes are large so the chances someone in there is similar is quite high. One benefit of course is they at least understand the need to study, that you cannot always be available etc, etc.

This doesn't need as far as I can tell in medical school - same patterns seem to pop up in residency and beyond. You run into these sorts of power couple all the time it seems (duel doctors salaries is quite an impressive sum for yearly income).

Thanks everyone haha. I guess it has always been my dream to marry someone who understands my work... It's draining to always hear "why so you study so much" or "can't you do that later" from past boyfriends

so this is why i was hoping there would be a better chance for me this time around!

Nothing wrong with wanting someone who understands what's important to you and why. But your partner doesn't need to be doing the same thing, or even want to do the same thing, to be supportive and understanding; heck, even another doctor won't perfectly comprehend what you do (that's why it's YOUR work :D )

I think it's a good thing that you know what you want from a partner and are willing to look for it - just don't restrict yourself to classmates, there are many other fish in that sea!

Thanks everyone haha. I guess it has always been my dream to marry someone who understands my work... It's draining to always hear "why so you study so much" or "can't you do that later" from past boyfriends

so this is why i was hoping there would be a better chance for me this time around!

in that case they are likely to understand. and it might be that another guy is also looking for a similar relationship as you

but by the way doctors aren't the only professionals who work so much

I am a bit worried about this too. My girlfriend is going back to school (ottawau) for biomedical engineering and I am not sure how med school + her engineering degree is going to effect our relationship..

I guess wel see..but education > relationships 9times out of 10.

If you are single, I think I would recommend staying that way until residency or later.

I am a bit worried about this too. My girlfriend is going back to school (ottawau) for biomedical engineering and I am not sure how med school + her engineering degree is going to effect our relationship..

If you are single, I think I would recommend staying that way until residency or later.

WHAT! Woah by then I'll be in my late 20s!!!!! I'm a female btw...maybe this is okay for guys but definitely a no no for girls.

This is not a very good recommendation lol.

I think as a Medical Professional, you owe it to your clients to dedicate your time to your studies.

As lovely as girlfriends and boyfriends are..i don't think they belong in medical school.

26 is not old, far from being old. Most women have kids in their 30s, I myself am in my late 20s and just getting to medical school now..

I think as a Medical Professional, you owe it to your clients to dedicate your time to your studies.

You owe it to yourself and your sanity to have a life outside of medicine.

To the OP: Plenty of medical students & residents juggle dating, weddings, and families during their training. Medicine is no reason to neglect that aspect of life. There were several relationships that formed between two people in my med classes, but even more met people outside of medicine. The most important thing is an understanding partner, who can cope with your schedule.

As lovely as girlfriends and boyfriends are..i don't think they belong in medical school.

26 is not old, far from being old. Most women have kids in their 30s, I myself am in my late 20s and just getting to medical school now..

I'd like you to remember that you work to live and don't live to work...Having a Girlfriend/boyfriend that understands you can be really helpful...plus there is the sex part to keep you healthy but that's another subject

There will always be reasons NOT to enter into a new relationship, and for physicians, they'll only build as the career progresses. If you want a relationship now, why wait? It's not going to get any easier, and there are factors which mean starting the search later can be detrimental (as pointed out, this unfortunately affects women more than men...)

I wouldn't say education > relationships, but rather that career (and education) have to be balanced with the rest of life, including family. As long as you have someone who can work with you to achieve that balance, and in turn, who you can help achieve balance in their life, it'll all turn out fine :)