Premed 101 Forums

vacation time?

I actually have no idea how many weeks doctors get off after they are done with residency. i guess it depends on the speciality? or the working place?

does anyone know an average?

(i'm not going into a career for it's vacation time, obviously, but i'm just curious! :) )

Thanks!

This varies hugely. If you are independent, you don't get paid for time off so you can take as much vacation as you want and earn less.

Yes, but its not quite that simple- you also need to find coverage for your patients, whether that be through a locum or through coverage from your colleagues. This, I've heard, can be difficult depending on factors such as your specialty, location, and whether you're part of a group or not. In other cases you're part of a large group and taking good chunks of time off is no issue at all.

... Emergency medicine ... no need for coverage of 'your patients' because you dont have 'your patients' ... though if your department has limited human reasources you do need to cover the department. But by far emerg is excellent for time off as you can switch shifts, plan ahead a string of shifts together to get more time off later.

can a hospital hire someone who works like 9 months on and have 3 months off? kinda part time but over the whole year.. (it would be way too nice i guess haha :P)

and how many weeks off do we get in residency? like 2 weeks?

Well my buddy is an internal medicine doc in east toronto and he gets a week off every month. I don't know his hours when he works the other 3. I can imagine they aren't very fun. But it sounds pretty sweet and gives you something to look forward to every so often. He was supposed to come celebrate me getting into med school, instead he went to miami for a week :( I have no idea how he arranged that but I can find out at some point.

It is often what you can negotiate, and that depends on many factors. In general something like 6-8 seems relatively common from the people in various fields I have talked to. Of course the unusual situations are going to pop out and be noticed more but they are just that unusual situations :)

Well my buddy is an internal medicine doc in east toronto and he gets a week off every month. I don't know his hours when he works the other 3. I can imagine they aren't very fun. But it sounds pretty sweet and gives you something to look forward to every so often. He was supposed to come celebrate me getting into med school, instead he went to miami for a week :( I have no idea how he arranged that but I can find out at some point.

So your 'buddy' who basically gets 12 weeks of vacation chose to go to Miami on one of those weeks instead of to see you to help celebrate your accomplishment?

Not much of a buddy.

So your 'buddy' who basically gets 12 weeks of vacation chose to go to Miami on one of those weeks instead of to see you to help celebrate your accomplishment?

Not much of a buddy.

Would you decide to forgo a week vacation in a warm clime and a fun location for a 1 day celebration with a buddy that can be done upon return? Hard choice...:P

I guess it depends on how good of 'buddies' they are.

Would you decide to forgo a week vacation in a warm clime and a fun location for a 1 day celebration with a buddy that can be done upon return? Hard choice...:P

I guess it depends on how good of 'buddies' they are.

When I get 12 weeks of vacation time? Yes. It's not like most normal ppl who get 2-4 weeks that need to prioritize their option.

Not much of a buddy.

I'm not holding it against him as we can celebrate any night this summer. He is a 3 hour drive to where I live. I am definitely not holding it against him. It's hard to mesh our schedules, we only get together 2-3x a year.

And personally, I'm not somebody to "celebrate" the fact I accomplished something. Getting into med school was just another stepping stone. In all honesty it was just a bit of relief and then, "Time to put in the work".

... Emergency medicine ... no need for coverage of 'your patients' because you dont have 'your patients' ... though if your department has limited human reasources you do need to cover the department. But by far emerg is excellent for time off as you can switch shifts, plan ahead a string of shifts together to get more time off later.

Indeed. When it comes to work/life balance, EM is a pretty good specialty. Lots of downsides too, but it's all about what you want in your career.

Indeed. When it comes to work/life balance, EM is a pretty good specialty. Lots of downsides too, but it's all about what you want in your career.

I dont mean to derail the thread, but I would be interested in hearing about the downsides you are aware of. I certainly have been doing my own research into this but you seem further along the medical training path so would be happy to pull up a chair and hear what your thoughts are. Thanks.

Archived