Premed 101 Forums

Current Med students, have any of you experienced doubts?

I'm a med student going into my second year this fall but after first year, I am hesitant about going back and am also doubting if this is the profession for me. Have any of you experienced any of these doubts? If so, what did you choose to do/what keeps you going through the slog that is med school?

I think it depends on the reason behind your doubts.

One thing that helps me is doing observerships and making connections with physicians who are practicing the kind of medicine that I want to practice. It reminds me that medical school isn't the same as being a doctor and that it's something that I have to do to get what I want, but that it won't always be this way.

I also reflect on the reasons that I went into medicine. And I keep a list in my head (which I really should move to paper) of patient encounters that I have had that have really cemented my desire to go into the field that I want to go into and have left me feeling that I really am in the right place.

Are there any particular doubts that bother you the most?

Lots of people have doubts. Maybe you could explain what you're feeling, and we could try to help you?

Ellorie's got some good advice too. I know the schedule can feel tight in pre-clerkship but trust me, you're not as busy as you think you are (in Canada at least). Get out there and get involved with clinical medicine. Maybe even do some research. There's a lot of cool stuff in medicine that you don't get to see in the lecture halls.

I used to think I knew that I wanted and what population I wanted to work with but not I've become very confused. I'm finding myself lonelier than I have ever been since starting med school and perhaps that it is part of it. It is difficult to see yourself as part of a profession when you seem disconnected from colleagues. I also am seeing the sacrifices that physicians make more clearly regarding with time for family and friends and yourself and don't know if I want to make those sacrifices. And, as someone who never truly made the effort to get into medicine and who came to the decision later during school, I feel as if I lack the drive and passion my classmates have for medicine. I worry that I am ungrateful for the coveted spot in the class I have or if I just am not made for this field.

I used to think I knew that I wanted and what population I wanted to work with but not I've become very confused. I'm finding myself lonelier than I have ever been since starting med school and perhaps that it is part of it. It is difficult to see yourself as part of a profession when you seem disconnected from colleagues. I also am seeing the sacrifices that physicians make more clearly regarding with time for family and friends and yourself and don't know if I want to make those sacrifices. And, as someone who never truly made the effort to get into medicine and who came to the decision later during school, I feel as if I lack the drive and passion my classmates have for medicine. I worry that I am ungrateful for the coveted spot in the class I have or if I just am not made for this field.

There are many professions in medicine that don't require you to make much sacrifice- Dermatology, Ophthalmology, Family Medicine, Psychiatry, Pathology, to name a few. That's a very broad spectrum of jobs to choose from that are VERY lifestyle friendly (and some make quite a bit of $$). Try exploring these before making a decision.

To me, it seems like you've somehow grown distant from your peers and haven't had the opportunity to spend enough time interacting/socializing with them. Interacting with others is key to keep sane. You need to find ways to connect with your classmates, colleagues, profs, and/or others in your environment whom you could befriend during the time you're studying in med school. Friends will help make the whole med experience much more enjoyable for you.

To me, it seems like you've somehow grown distant from your peers and haven't had the opportunity to spend enough time interacting/socializing with them. Interacting with others is key to keep sane. You need to find ways to connect with your classmates, colleagues, profs, and/or others in your environment whom you could befriend during the time you're studying in med school. Friends will help make the whole med experience much more enjoyable for you.

Thanks for the advice, easier said than done though...but I will try.

And Lactic Folly, speaking to a mentor would probably be a good idea. I shall look into that.

Hopefully I can find myself a reason to stay in this program, be it through exploring more lifestyle friendly fields and so forth.

At the same time though, if I continue to feel like this a few years later, it'll be much more debt to repay and less flexibility with leaving the field.

There are physician well-being resource lines that you could also talk to, if you prefer not to go through your school... doesn't have to be an acute distress situation.

My question is, do you have an alternative field that you are more passionate about? If not, how do you know you would not feel the same way about another line of work in the future if you left medicine?

I'm a med student going into my second year this fall but after first year, I am hesitant about going back and am also doubting if this is the profession for me. Have any of you experienced any of these doubts? If so, what did you choose to do/what keeps you going through the slog that is med school?

It's normal. Med school can be rough.

In my experience it gets better once you find something in medicine to work towards, be it a particular specialty or interest. I know this is easier said then done.

Stick in there! It gets better!

How much debt are you in right now? Can you afford to be in this situation? What is your backup plan?

I wouldn't do something I wasn't passionate about for the rest of my life but these are questions you should really consider.

I currently hold about 20k in debt, which will be significantly more once I pay tuition for the term.

My backup plan when first applying to med school was to complete a masters in social work and for the past while, I've been wondering if I prioritized the wrong degree.

rogerroger, I really hope so.

I currently hold about 20k in debt, which will be significantly more once I pay tuition for the term.

My backup plan when first applying to med school was to complete a masters in social work and for the past while, I've been wondering if I prioritized the wrong degree.

what aspects of social work appeal to you? I'd guess that psych or family medicine have a degree of overlap, especially if you tailor your practice to provide particular services.

I sometimes wonder if I should have done SW or psychology or gone about things a different way - because I do have a strong interest in doing psychotherapy, I just want to be able to prescribe. I had good reasons for going the medical school route but sometimes I do wonder.

I sometimes wonder if I should have done SW or psychology or gone about things a different way - because I do have a strong interest in doing psychotherapy, I just want to be able to prescribe. I had good reasons for going the medical school route but sometimes I do wonder.

Why do you want to prescribe? Just like in some cases psychotherapy only reshapes or hides an existing problem that would be fixed with prescribing meds, the reverse holds true as well.

See, I see why one would want the power to prescribe on top of being able to do counselling. But, I have a fear that as doctors, we might not always be able to do a fine job in the counselling department. This is so for lack of education and training in this area and many times just for lack of time..

I don't see time as the issue because if you are practicing in the community you can spend just as much time with a patient (an hour) and bill for psychotherapy. You just choose to carry less patients - which is actually important to me.

As to training I would agree that it can be an issue. I plan to pick a residency program with strong psychotherapy supervision and use my elective time as well as take additional training opportunities after I finish in order to make sure that I am qualified.

I myself have worked with several psychiatrist-psychotherapists and GP-psychotherapists and have found that the ones who have taken the time to really learn their craft are excellent and I believe that that is completely possible.

I want to do both because I believe that some patients need both in combination and that for these patients there are advantages in having one person managing both - both in terms of time management, ability to monitor the patient, and in other areas as well.

I thought about it quite extensively and I believe that it is a good career path IF you take the time to get the training you need and work within your competency - which is true for anyone, no matter what the field.

As previous posters have already alluded to, things get more interesting once you start clerkships. The problem with being in a classroom is that a lot of the educational context is missing.

I don't see time as the issue because if you are practicing in the community you can spend just as much time with a patient (an hour) and bill for psychotherapy. You just choose to carry less patients - which is actually important to me.

As to training I would agree that it can be an issue. I plan to pick a residency program with strong psychotherapy supervision and use my elective time as well as take additional training opportunities after I finish in order to make sure that I am qualified.

I myself have worked with several psychiatrist-psychotherapists and GP-psychotherapists and have found that the ones who have taken the time to really learn their craft are excellent and I believe that that is completely possible.

I want to do both because I believe that some patients need both in combination and that for these patients there are advantages in having one person managing both - both in terms of time management, ability to monitor the patient, and in other areas as well.

I thought about it quite extensively and I believe that it is a good career path IF you take the time to get the training you need and work within your competency - which is true for anyone, no matter what the field.

That is admirable. I hope that you're able to pull this off. Another advantage I thought of this was that the patient, because they're dealing with an MD whose services are covered by Canadian health insurance, need not shell out hourly sums for counselling. I had thought about this while thinking that if I became a psychiatrist, it might be useful for my patients to have a psychologist in the same office whose salary I would partly cover. Fantasy, now that I think about it, given the salary of a psychologist. However it need not have to be a doctor of psychology, just like a psychiatrist who trains and offers services in counselling need not have a PhD Psych persay.

Anyway, sorry about this rambling. Just wanted to commend you on your plans.

The money aspect is definitely a HUGE reason why psychiatrists need to continue to be trained in psychotherapy in my opinion. I have met many patients who need and would like psychotherapy but cannot afford it. The waiting list for psychiatrists in general is huge, and for patients who need psychotherapy - it can be massive.

Even if you DO have private insurance, the psychotherapy coverage is often still abysmal.

I think sometimes people are unfairly dismissive of psychiatrists who practice psychotherapy.

How well are MSW programs financed? Would you be responsible for the entire cost of tuition and all your living expenses for 2 years? $20K is a manageable debt load, but when you add either your med tuition for this year or the MSW tuition for 2 years, it becomes a lot tougher to manage. I'm assuming you either live with parents or get some financial help from them, otherwise you'd be in a lot more debt after 1st year med (I know my tuition was almost 14K/yr). What medical specialty are you thinking of going into if you were to stay in med school? It's one thing if you have a 2-year residency ahead of you vs. 5-year residency. If you like dealing with people who have major social issues, addiction problems, psych issues - trust me, your family medicine colleagues will gladly pass these patients of theirs on to you, so there'll be no shortage of work for you. It doesn't sound like you outright hate what you're doing in med, so I feel like sticking it out is a pretty good option as long as you are ok with doing family medicine. If you are looking at a 5-yr residency, that's quite a long time of doing something you don't like that much before you can have a practice that matches your interests.

Also, I was under the impression that the job market for SW leaves a lot to be desired, but maybe I'm wrong.

In the end, I feel like once you're 1+ year into med, it becomes 90% an issue of money as to whether you can afford to quit. Also, like others said, I wouldn't judge just based on pre-clerkship, and I wouldn't judge later on based on just 1 or 2 clinical rotations. I know I personally had a horrible experience on internal medicine, which was my last rotation of 3rd year. I remember thinking how glad I was that it wasn't the first rotation of clerkship, so I knew medicine could be enjoyable or at least not a total pit of despair 100% of the time, because I know if it had been my 1st rotation, I would've been like, "what sort of hell did I get myself into," except I didn't have the luxury of quitting as an option for financial reasons.

There are many professions in medicine that don't require you to make much sacrifice- Dermatology, Ophthalmology, Family Medicine, Psychiatry, Pathology, to name a few. That's a very broad spectrum of jobs to choose from that are VERY lifestyle friendly (and some make quite a bit of $$). Try exploring these before making a decision.

You're right, but don't forget that derm and ophtho are extremely competitive, so if OP is not already working his/her ass off to get into these specialties, it's probably a pipe dream. And even if the specialty practice as an attending is pretty low-key and comes with a good lifestyle, you still have to get through residency, which will involve 1) doing all sorts of stuff you don't have an interest in (you'll see psych residents doing obs-gyne rotations, for example) 2) working long hours so that your attending can stay at home (any residency). Not to mention, I feel like path or psych are specialties that are quite polarizing, in that you either love the stuff or hate it. I know no amount of money or non-monetary incentives would make me want to practice psychiatry or pathology, for example.

How well are MSW programs financed? Would you be responsible for the entire cost of tuition and all your living expenses for 2 years? $20K is a manageable debt load, but when you add either your med tuition for this year or the MSW tuition for 2 years, it becomes a lot tougher to manage. I'm assuming you either live with parents or get some financial help from them, otherwise you'd be in a lot more debt after 1st year med (I know my tuition was almost 14K/yr). What medical specialty are you thinking of going into if you were to stay in med school? It's one thing if you have a 2-year residency ahead of you vs. 5-year residency. If you like dealing with people who have major social issues, addiction problems, psych issues - trust me, your family medicine colleagues will gladly pass these patients of theirs on to you, so there'll be no shortage of work for you. It doesn't sound like you outright hate what you're doing in med, so I feel like sticking it out is a pretty good option as long as you are ok with doing family medicine. If you are looking at a 5-yr residency, that's quite a long time of doing something you don't like that much before you can have a practice that matches your interests.

Also, I was under the impression that the job market for SW leaves a lot to be desired, but maybe I'm wrong.

In the end, I feel like once you're 1+ year into med, it becomes 90% an issue of money as to whether you can afford to quit. Also, like others said, I wouldn't judge just based on pre-clerkship, and I wouldn't judge later on based on just 1 or 2 clinical rotations. I know I personally had a horrible experience on internal medicine, which was my last rotation of 3rd year. I remember thinking how glad I was that it wasn't the first rotation of clerkship, so I knew medicine could be enjoyable or at least not a total pit of despair 100% of the time, because I know if it had been my 1st rotation, I would've been like, "what sort of hell did I get myself into," except I didn't have the luxury of quitting as an option for financial reasons.

I am getting financial assistance from family, and I also carried scholarships/bursaries that made my undergraduate essentially almost free. However, an MSW would be another 20-40k tacked on to my debt and that could be difficult to manage based off of a social workers average salary. I am currently considering family (perhaps with a +1 in psychotherapy), psychiatry and neuro or PMR and maybe emerg but have almost completely ruled out neuro due to the lifestyle (though it was one of my interests during undergrad, unfortunately. I have no interest in any of the ROADs or path so I haven't been gearing myself towards either of those, and honestly, I feel so amotivated without a clear pathway that I haven't become involved in too many extracurriculars which will be a detriment during CARMS.

Don't forget that you can take time off and return.

My partner did that; after 3rd year she hated medicine, so she took a year's leave of absence and spent the entire year climbing and meditating.

She came back refreshed, got into her first choice residency spot, and loves her job. It's a decision she is really happy she made and has expressed multiple times that she wishes other people would consider it more too before they burned out. It's worth considering.

Remember, your school has a ton of support for you and they want you to succeed. Your student affairs office is an awesome resource.

I remember back in my first day of med school our dean told us that at one point or another every one of us will doubt our choice of medicine, but that in time none of us will regret having chosen medicine. And that is exactly what happened to me.

So just tough it out. Once you get into a chill residency and finish your basic clinic year things will get much better. In fact, for some med schools things get better as soon as you hit year 4 which is only selectives/electives.

Archived