Premed 101 Forums

OSAP + Car

That's fresh, coming from a supposed colleague.

Why should ANY med student, with a projected income of >200K annually, and who will have 100k of debt anyways regardless of government assistance, get any help?

Well, next time you think to ask for advice on how to lie about your assets to the government, ponder the kind of reaction you'll get.

Not sure what your point is? As a taxpayer, I would not like to have my money going to subsidize somebody who has a (unnecessarily) expensive vehicle, plus the associated high costs that go along with that.

If it's not a sports car, and not a V6 or V8 (which I can almost guarantee it is not)... then having a more expensive vehicle does not mean higher costs.... lulz... any damages cost the same price to fix. Fuel is the same, so is an oil change. Older cars actually have higher potential for maintenance fees aside from basics.

If it's not a sports car, and not a V6 or V8 (which I can almost guarantee it is not)... then having a more expensive vehicle does not mean higher costs.... lulz... any damages cost the same price to fix. Fuel is the same, so is an oil change. Older cars actually have higher potential for maintenance fees aside from basics.

Really? I mean maybe in the maintenance costs but the upfront cost of course is higher. In theory you could potentially sell the car (ouch!) and have the difference in price cover costs of something else.

Right or wrong of course the rules are what the rules are. OSAP really is a not a right after all - it is again a form of social assistance. It doesn't pass the broad day light test to have an expensive car and be getting grants from the government for potentially many thousands.

as a side note even without the car the resident's salary will also significantly impact osap for similar reasons.

Yes, a more expensive car DOES mean higher insurance, all else equal. The liability will be the same, but collision is most definitely higher.

Also, as said above, just having an asset worth that much an hoping to hide it to receive (as rmorelan put it) possibly many thousands of taxpayer grants is just wrong, even without considering the high costs associated with ownership.

No. Frequently a more expensive vehicle absolutely does mean higher costs. Do you think maintaining a BMW (or even VW) costs the same as a Ford?

I grant that some trucks can cost upwards of $35,000, but that is certainly around the entry price for a 3-series or the like. In any case, you don't need to spend $35k let alone $20k for a decent car, providing you can suffer the indignity of buying something used or "pre-owned" from a dealer with a warranty.

Archived