Premed 101 Forums

Meaningful questions to ask during an observership

Hey Guys,

I am a premed student who is fortunate enough to have secured an observership position with a craniofacial surgeon. My question for the med students and residents is what are some meaningful things that I can ask the surgeon without being a nuisance to the whole OR team?

Thanks in advance!

Ask where you can stand. Before touching anything, or even coming within a few inches, ask.

As for other questions, you'll have to play it by ear as to when is a good time to ask. Some people are more relaxed in the OR, playing music, etc. while others want to concentrate in silence. In that case, it's probably easier to strike up a conversation before entering or after exiting the OR. You can ask any general questions you would like - how did you get into this field, what do you enjoy most about it, any advice for the young, etc.

First off good for you for securing an observorship premedically as that is a difficult feat. I did an emerg observorship before med school and it just ignited my passion further to get into medicine.

Let me be clear that there are no expectations of you as a premed. It is just that you observing what he/she does with no expectations for your involvement or knowledge of the profession. There are no stupid questions. If something intrigues you ask about it.

Even in 1st year med school physicians expectations are VERY low of you so premed they expect nothing so dont try and impress anyone by reading a textbook on craniofacial surgery the night before. :)

Perhaps after the surgery you can ask him/her questions about reason for choosing that specialty, pros-cons of their specialty, where they see the specialty going in 5-10 years, stuff like that.

I dont know what type of OR etiquette this surgeon has so best to play it by ear to see whether people talk a bit or whether it is total silence during the procedure.

Beef

Hey Guys,

I am a premed student who is fortunate enough to have secured an observership position with a craniofacial surgeon. My question for the med students and residents is what are some meaningful things that I can ask the surgeon without being a nuisance to the whole OR team?

Thanks in advance!

If I were you, I would try to show my gratitude for the opportunity to do an observership more than try and ask questions.

First of all, you should ask maybe 1-2 questions, more than that and you'll appear obnoxious. Also, you should choose your moment wisely as to not ask a question while the surgeon needs all of his concentration. The best thing to do, in my opinion is to wait till he asks you if you have any questions at the end of the day.

Is the surgeon a family friend? See if you can find out what's on their list. That way you can watch the surgeries on youtube beforehand and have a relatively good understanding of whats happening in the actual OR.

Contrary to RealBeef's view on the matter I would say that going in as prepared as possible will be a good thing. Even if you have an absolutely rudimentary understanding of the facial bones / muscles / nerves it'll make your experience that much better.

This isn't a "take your kid to work day" kind of experience. It's a time for you to truly learn. Have fun and make the most of it :)

Usually in the OR I don't say anything unless the surgeon asks me a direct question or invites me to speak. It just seems to work better.

If I have a question, I hold it to the end. Ideally, I just hold it to the end and ask the resident, but if there isn't a resident I'll ask the staff when they are done everything.

Thanks guys,

I had the most amazing moment of my life haha!

A quick question, when do surgeons usually retire? Late 50s? I guess it depends on the individual?

yeah I would say that is definitely quite early for a surgeon to retire - although some may.

There isn't a lot of good reasons to retire as a doc unless health gets in the way. Plus naturally a lot of docs self worth is tied up in there careers.

I've noticed that quite a few of them (In community centers without residents to assist) will retire at a normal retiring age ~65 and then just continue to assist in the OR as they wish.

of course earning 50-100 dollars an hour wouldn't be what most people call retirement - but it does pay for the golfing fees :)

Contrary to RealBeef's view on the matter I would say that going in as prepared as possible will be a good thing. Even if you have an absolutely rudimentary understanding of the facial bones / muscles / nerves it'll make your experience that much better.

I agree being prepared will make the experience more useful and interesting. However I was just highlighting the fact that he is not expected to know much as a premed and wont impress anyone with 'smart questions' so as to not worry about it what 'good questions' are.

Within med school preceptors of course would have increasing expectations of your knowledge and give you increasing level of responsibility within that setting.

Another question, for some reason I thought there would be galleries of some sort where people observe the surgery from above but I don't think I saw any. Is the concept of galleries only depicted in TV shows or do they actually exist in Canadian hospitals? Maybe they are centre specific?

Thanks everyone

I agree being prepared will make the experience more useful and interesting. However I was just highlighting the fact that he is not expected to know much as a premed and wont impress anyone with 'smart questions' so as to not worry about it what 'good questions' are.

Within med school preceptors of course would have increasing expectations of your knowledge and give you increasing level of responsibility within that setting.

+1

of course earning 50-100 dollars an hour wouldn't be what most people call retirement - but it does pay for the golfing fees

lol! After hours surgery that takes much longer than expected? Assist might just make more than the surgeon :P

Archived