Calgary Interview Discussion 2014

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to All who got interviews!!!

I got mine during class today and couldn't focus at all

because I was shaking too much.

I'm so humbled, and soo ecstatic that the interview dates overlap

with reading break at U of T. I get to spend time with my family & friends!!!

Two birds with one stone :)

Same, I was I biochem. I silently squealed, bounced in my seat for a minute and then showed my friend the email. I'm pretty sure the prof happened to be looking right at me. I then proceeded to creep PM101 for the rest of the class and have no idea what the prof said about ATP synthase. Shame, since there's a midterm Tuesday.

howdyho! i was looking for you on the stats thread... wondered whether my fellow 4th year u of t albertan got an interview and gets to go home for reading week too :P congratsss!

wow are you referring to the people whose file was closed for misrepresentation?

Obviously it depends on the degree of misrepresentation, but one would assume that if their files were closed it was pretty serious, which is not cool. I don't feel sorry for them at all in that if they felt the need to lie then I do not think they understand what it means to be a professional and should not have been applying in the first place. I know it sounds harsh, but there has to be zero tolerance for this kind of thing.

This looks to be the trend from the stats in the invites thread. Looks like your chance with a 10VR is not very good unless you have a lot of things going on in your app.

Any thoughts?

Well VR is worth 10% of your application score, so it probably plays a good part in it.

and its prob not linear. I can't see them simply going (12/15)*10 or something

for your mark out of 10.

1/10 is probably like a 7 or 8 on VR and 10/10 is prob a 15.

Just my thoughts.

Also, My VR was 10, so it's possible!! (the other 90% of my application must've made up for my low VR)

Well VR is worth 10% of your application score, so it probably plays a good part in it.

and its prob not linear. I can't see them simply going (12/15)*10 or something

for your mark out of 10.

1/10 is probably like a 7 or 8 on VR and 10/10 is prob a 15.

I honestly suspect it is linear, scaled over 7 and up (something like ([score]-7)/8)*10%), or bell curved around ~11...both a simple to implement. Could be just me though...my answer to everything statistical is to bell curve it somehow.

Also, the U of C lists 27.22 as their average accepted age last year, while their average applicant was ~24. Couldn't find other stats, but do you guys think this is typical? I mean, I could see them having a hard time discerning 22 year old candidates (there was ~450 and that's increasing this year probably)...but that seems a bit higher than what I would have expected.

Archived