Premed 101 Forums

Calgary Interview Discussion 2014

You may want to separate OOP and IP scores from your first GPA and VR calculations, since those could probably be considered different populations for this purpose (i.e. more stringent criteria for OOP). You may end up getting more significance for accept vs. deny that way.

Look at the last two calcs. Already did that.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look at the last two calcs. Already did that.

The last two calcs only look at accepted scores though, and I thought the first two calcs were to look for statistical significance between accepted vs. rejected stats.

Basically I'm thinking that someone OOP that was rejected may not have been rejected if they had had the same stats but were IP, so I'm not sure if it makes sense to lump all invites and rejects together when doing calcs. Might make sense to separate between OOP and IP first.

It's been a while since I've taken a stat course though, so I may be wrong :)

The last two calcs only look at accepted scores though, and I thought the first two calcs were to look for statistical significance between accepted vs. rejected stats.

Basically I'm thinking that someone OOP that was rejected may not have been rejected if they had had the same stats but were IP, so I'm not sure if it makes sense to lump all invites and rejects together when doing calcs. Might make sense to separate between OOP and IP first.

It's been a while since I've taken a stat course though, so I may be wrong :)

Well, there aren't many results posted for rejections, so it's not really a worthwhile stat. It would be really nice to have the raw data for the whole cohort of applicants from this year :):)

Well, there aren't many results posted for rejections, so it's not really a worthwhile stat. It would be really nice to have the raw data for the whole cohort of applicants from this year :):)

Yeah, that was the issue I was worried would come up as I was suggesting the above lol. I suppose more people want to post their acceptances rather then rejection stats, can't really blame anyone tbh

This is my first time applying to Calgary, when do they usually post their full interview stats up? I know UBC does it right before they send out invites, but haven't seen anything on the Calgary med site yet

At Mac? 10% of interviews go to OOP so 50-60. Ish.

Ahh I meant invites to the program (acceptances). I imagine the OOP waitlist, like most other universities, moves quite a bit, so if 15 OOP candidates end up accepting, I was just wondering how many in total are actually offered a spot, if that data is even out there.

(was really hoping somewhere in the >50% range, so like 25 - 30 offers haha :P)

Ahh I meant invites to the program (acceptances). I imagine the OOP waitlist, like most other universities, moves quite a bit, so if 15 OOP candidates end up accepting, I was just wondering how many in total are actually offered a spot, if that data is even out there.

(was really hoping somewhere in the >50% range, so like 25 - 30 offers haha :P)

I'm also interested in this. I know that they over accept OOP knowing that many will opt to going to their home provinces.

I hope my rejection post can make your stats better! :) Haha.

:P Glad you're in good enough humour to joke about it! Your app looked really good, so I guess it could be a Top 10 thing? Really sorry to hear you got a regret. I hope you fare better with uAlberta!

And yes, I'll definitely be using your post to help my terrible 1st year stats analysis :)

I honestly suspect it is linear, scaled over 7 and up (something like ([score]-7)/8)*10%), or bell curved around ~11...both a simple to implement. Could be just me though...my answer to everything statistical is to bell curve it somehow.

Calgary does everything with mean being = 100 and curves everything perfectly. They want to make sure that if VR is worth 10%, it really is worth 10%. Sorry it's been a while since I took stats but basically the perfectly average applicant will be at 100 for every single criterion. It's all pretty clear if you listen to their podcast.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry about discussion too much. They usually change up scenarios day to day (remember he did say they had a bank of 70ish or so scenarios). And also, we are scored relative to the group of students seen that day, and different scorers participate on each day.

If anything it would probably be more disadvantageous to go on one of the later days if we did not knowledge of what to expect and some students did! So people on the first day and probably on the second day shouldn't worry too much I'd think.:)

Anyways, apparently knowing questions in advance doesn't change much (according to Dr. Walker on the podcast).

Agree 100%

We did a ton of practice this year, and I've had several instances of having the same question from session to session. I honestly don't think I did any better the second go-around on them. If anything I was worse because I didn't feel the need to work so hard at showing my thought process.

Just my 0.02p in case anecdotal counts in anyone's book. :)

Archived