Premed 101 Forums

Calgary Interview Discussion 2014

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So can someone please suggest me a good, cheap place to stay near university of calgary? I'm so lost.... (coming from BC)

Hotel Alma is on the UofC main campus, which is about a 15/20 minute walk from the Foothills. Not sure how prices are, but you could check it out! Otherwise, there are a bunch of hotels on Banff Trail, which is also close to the hospital, but not a super nice area of the city. Maybe check out Airbnb and see if anyone is offering a room for cheap near the hospital?

Hotel Alma is on the UofC main campus, which is about a 15/20 minute walk from the Foothills. Not sure how prices are, but you could check it out! Otherwise, there are a bunch of hotels on Banff Trail, which is also close to the hospital, but not a super nice area of the city. Maybe check out Airbnb and see if anyone is offering a room for cheap near the hospital?

Just booked that. 139 a night

So, out of province people. 2 years ago, (no stats from last year) Calgary made offers to 65 non-Albertans. They interviewed about 110 as far as I can tell. This year they are interviewing 90. I know there are less seats now, but still, I like the odds!

The number of OOP seats could not have been reduced that dramatically. I think overall the seat reduction was 10? 15% of seats are OOP, so 1.5 seats lost. So maybe 55-60 offers for OOP this year instead. Good odds, although waitlist movement can vary. Last year I believe that IP applicants actually filled some of the OOP 15% because they were more qualified, so although as a rule OOP's have higher stats it is not always the case.

It's awesome they are interviewing fewer people and I am one of those people! Of course my tune would change if I had not received an interview.

The number of OOP seats could not have been reduced that dramatically. I think overall the seat reduction was 10? 15% of seats are OOP, so 1.5 seats lost. So maybe 55-60 offers for OOP this year instead. Good odds, although waitlist movement can vary. Last year I believe that IP applicants actually filled some of the OOP 15% because they were more qualified, so although as a rule OOP's have higher stats it is not always the case.

It's awesome they are interviewing fewer people and I am one of those people! Of course my tune would change if I had not received an interview.

That's true. At UBC last year, only 22/29 OOP spots actually went to OOP people. As far as I can tell there are two possible reasons for this: either they went all the way through the OOPs on the waitlist and had to dip into the IPs, or they went so far down in the OOP waitlist that there started to be IPs with higher file scores.

Could be the same, who knows. Anyways, it's much better odds than the 15/90 I was originally thinking!

Calgary really did their job in ensuring no one gets an interview with no substantial chances of actually making it in.

~60/90 OOP success rate is a good number.

It's refreshing to have such odds since I have interviewed at Queen's the last 2 years (only interview) where the odds are not in the interviewees favour (~1/4 since there has not been as much WL movement). OOP applicants seem to have the best odds at the interview stage for schools that discriminate based on OOP and IP because the WL moves so much (generally, no promises).

It's refreshing to have such odds since I have interviewed at Queen's the last 2 years (only interview) where the odds are not in the interviewees favour (~1/4 since there has not been as much WL movement). OOP applicants seem to have the best odds at the interview stage for schools that discriminate based on OOP and IP because the WL moves so much (generally, no promises).

I'm hoping that holds true at Mac, but not UBC since I'm in province there! ;)

X-Post from Invite/Deny thread

Stats to 11 AM MST Jan 30:

GPA two-tailed t for Invite vs. Deny: (P=0.26) (Not significant)

Group Invite Deny

Mean 3.8431 3.7750

SD 0.1437 0.1677

SEM 0.0282 0.0593

N 26 8

VR two-tailed t (P=0.013) (significant)

Group Invite Deny

Mean 10.96 9.63

SD 1.40 0.52

SEM 0.27 0.18

N 26 8

Chi-Squared for ECs (two tailed P=0.42)

Average EC High EC Total

Invite 8 17 25

Deny 4 4 8

Total 12 21 33

GPA of successful IP vs OOP Two-tailed t (P=0.051)

Group Invite OP Invite IP

Mean 3.9009 3.7886

SD 0.0501 0.1747

SEM 0.0151 0.0467

N 11 14

VR of successful IP vs OOP Two tailed t (P=0.003)

Group Invite OP Invite IP

Mean 11.82 10.21

SD 0.98 1.31

SEM 0.30 0.35

N 11 14

PM me if you want the spreadsheet, as I am not in front of SPSS right now, so can't do anything much more interesting.

Just curious, where did the EC data come from?

It was really qualitative and dubious. I just said "high" for people with lots listed, but "average" if people seemed to indicate that they were not confident in their ECs or indicated that they were just average.

OOPs are "low yield" (needed 65 offers to fill at most ~20 seats?). They also tend to have very high stats, due to high cutoffs (11 VR, 3.8GPA). On average, OOPs who make it to full file review are stronger candidates than IPs and it looks like that's part of the reason why a greater proportion of OOPs get offers... but the other thing is, an OOP with strong stats is probably getting multiple offers from other schools, and might be attracted by names like UBC, McGill, Toronto, etc., hence Calgary gets much lower yield from OOPs. Still important to have them, as they are on average very good students.

OOPs are "low yield" (needed 65 offers to fill at most ~20 seats?). They also tend to have very high stats, due to high cutoffs (11 VR, 3.8GPA). On average, OOPs who make it to full file review are stronger candidates than IPs and it looks like that's part of the reason why a greater proportion of OOPs get offers... but the other thing is, an OOP with strong stats is probably getting multiple offers from other schools, and might be attracted by names like UBC, McGill, Toronto, etc., hence Calgary gets much lower yield from OOPs. Still important to have them, as they are on average very good students.

Yep, those were my conclusions too. I'd be happy to end up anywhere, though!

I'm hoping that holds true at Mac, but not UBC since I'm in province there! ;)

Actually, I think this is the exact opposite :( From what I've heard, Mac doesn't differentiate between OOP and IP seats after the interview, while UBC still has a limited number of seats to give to OOP candidates.

X-Post from Invite/Deny thread

*omitted due to length*

You may want to separate OOP and IP scores from your first GPA and VR calculations, since those could probably be considered different populations for this purpose (i.e. more stringent criteria for OOP). You may end up getting more significance for accept vs. deny that way.

Anyone know if they overaccept initially? Or are a lot of us going to be put on a really fast moving waitlist?

No idea if they do, but I seriously hope they don't...personally I don't think the chance of getting better applicants in the first round of invites is worth the possible ramifications of accepting more people than they have seats for, but I suppose that's just my opinion.

Anyone know if they overaccept initially? Or are a lot of us going to be put on a really fast moving waitlist?

Yes they definitely overaccept on May 15th. They don't say by how much, but I guesstimate somewhere in the 30 people range. In 2012 they put out 218 IP offers to fill 145 seats. I have to check for 2013 to see what it was, but it was slightly lower due to the seat decrease. Just a quick edit - they have pretty detailed stats so they know how much wiggle room they have to overaccept. In the 10 years of stats I've tracked, I've never seen them overaccept to the point of having overfilled the seats.

Someone posted a question about average age of accepted applicants. I'm an older student who applied multiple times so I have collected stats from many years (did I mention I'm a bit OCD too ;) ). Calgary seems to have what I call an "age creep" due to their subjective criteria. In about 2005, they changed their application to be a little more academic focused and the average age decreased in the first year and then started to creep back up again. Now that they changed the application again to be more subjective focused it's "creeped" even higher. That being said the majority of the class is still in the early/mid 20's. Us "older" folk seem to skew the average a tad haha.

Actually, I think this is the exact opposite :( From what I've heard, Mac doesn't differentiate between OOP and IP seats after the interview, while UBC still has a limited number of seats to give to OOP candidates.

You may want to separate OOP and IP scores from your first GPA and VR calculations, since those could probably be considered different populations for this purpose (i.e. more stringent criteria for OOP). You may end up getting more significance for accept vs. deny that way.

No idea if they do, but I seriously hope they don't...personally I don't think the chance of getting better applicants in the first round of invites is worth the possible ramifications of accepting more people than they have seats for, but I suppose that's just my opinion.

Sorry I meant for oop specifically since waitlist clears fast

I don't think so... There were <15 OOPs accepted at Mac For each of the last few years.

Archived