Premed 101 Forums

Computer for Med School

I think I've figured out that I'll be using my iPad with Goodreader to take notes (which will hopefully be almost exclusively annotating PDF/PPT's else I'll have to reevaluate), synced to Dropbox so that I can access everything on my phone and laptop, too. OneNote is really appealing, but it's isn't nearly full featured enough on OSX/iOS yet and I'm not ready to migrate away. :P

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I've figured out that I'll be using my iPad with Goodreader to take notes (which will hopefully be almost exclusively annotating PDF/PPT's else I'll have to reevaluate), synced to Dropbox so that I can access everything on my phone and laptop, too. OneNote is really appealing, but it's isn't nearly full featured enough on OSX/iOS yet and I'm not ready to migrate away. :P

What's Goodreader like? I used Notability last year when I switched to my iPad for notes and thought it was pretty good and it had the auto-sync to Dropbox which is amazing.

What's Goodreader like? I used Notability last year when I switched to my iPad for notes and thought it was pretty good and it had the auto-sync to Dropbox which is amazing.

I really like Goodreader, I might try a few other apps before committing, but I think it's really well thought out in terms of design and usability. Notability was good? It looks nice, I think I'll give that a try too! Thanks.

And yeah, I think having the dropbox integration will be great. Being able to access notes anywhere and having multiple backups seems like an ideal situation.

I did this throughout undergrad and it ruled. You'll need to convert the ppt's to pdf's though.

Mine is 16 and I have never needed more. Unless you're planning to store tons of audiovisual stuff on there (especially movies) it should be fine.

Personally I keep all my media on my laptop and just shuffle things around on and off my ipad.

Mine is 16 and I have never needed more. Unless you're planning to store tons of audiovisual stuff on there (especially movies) it should be fine.

Personally I keep all my media on my laptop and just shuffle things around on and off my ipad.

same here - the extra storage seems like a bit of a waste for what most people use it for.

I really like Goodreader, I might try a few other apps before committing, but I think it's really well thought out in terms of design and usability. Notability was good? It looks nice, I think I'll give that a try too! Thanks.

And yeah, I think having the dropbox integration will be great. Being able to access notes anywhere and having multiple backups seems like an ideal situation.

Notability is great! The files get kind of big but it's not a big deal. Can switch colours/pen size, can integrate pictures, boxes, easy to switch between typing and writing. I love being about to move writing around if I decide I need more space, insert blank pages for extra notes, etc... The only thing I didn't like about it for undergrad was the way it stored recordings, but shouldn't be a problem in med because lectures are recorded (at most schools).

Notability is great! The files get kind of big but it's not a big deal. Can switch colours/pen size, can integrate pictures, boxes, easy to switch between typing and writing. I love being about to move writing around if I decide I need more space, insert blank pages for extra notes, etc... The only thing I didn't like about it for undergrad was the way it stored recordings, but shouldn't be a problem in med because lectures are recorded (at most schools).

Recordings could have been really good if they lined up with handwriting in addition to typed text. I'm wondering if a keyboard is a good investment for the iPad, it could be a little faster but switching between writing and typing probably isn't so quick.

Recordings could have been really good if they lined up with handwriting in addition to typed text. I'm wondering if a keyboard is a good investment for the iPad, it could be a little faster but switching between writing and typing probably isn't so quick.

Problem with a keyboard, for me, is that to use it, the iPad needs to be propped up, which is not conducive to hand writing.

Honestly, unless I have to write large blocks of text (which I hardly ever do when annotating PDFs, which I assume will make up the majority of medical school note taking), I just handwrite (on the iPad). Seems to stick better than typing.

I agree though, Notability needs to make a way to sync recording to handwriting. With my limited software knowledge, I don't think it would be that difficult.

what do you guys think is a decent GB storage for the iPAD air - 16GB or 32GB.. am a little unwilling to fork over the extra ~$100 if not really needed.

I bought a 32gb iPad mini this year, and in hindsight, wish that I had gotten the 16gb one with data instead (I got the wifi version). I find that there are a fair number of times I'd like to use my ipad but can't because I don't have an internet connection, and tethering to my phone gets tiring. I know in clerkship I'll have hospital wifi access (I hope!), but a lot of doctor's offices, etc don't have wifi and I'd love to be able to use my ipad from time to time.

I know, privileged problems. But seriously, my one regret is not getting an ipad with data.

I bought a 32gb iPad mini this year, and in hindsight, wish that I had gotten the 16gb one with data instead (I got the wifi version). I find that there are a fair number of times I'd like to use my ipad but can't because I don't have an internet connection, and tethering to my phone gets tiring. I know in clerkship I'll have hospital wifi access (I hope!), but a lot of doctor's offices, etc don't have wifi and I'd love to be able to use my ipad from time to time.

I know, privileged problems. But seriously, my one regret is not getting an ipad with data.

Uh oh, I was hoping we'd have wifi most of the time. I've never had a smartphone with data before and not sure how long I can last on 3 GB. iPad data plans are pretty expensive though, aren't they?

Uh oh, I was hoping we'd have wifi most of the time. I've never had a smartphone with data before and not sure how long I can last on 3 GB. iPad data plans are pretty expensive though, aren't they?

I haven't really looked into cost... but I've heard $20 a month tossed around, which isn't bad.

When we're on campus at Mac, we have Wifi, and we have access at one of the hospitals (St Joes), but at HGH or the Juravinski (where I've been for tutorials fairly often), there's no wifi access for preclerks. I think during clerkship we'll get internet access there, but not for now, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure I won't have internet access for 5/7 of my weeks of electives this summer (I'm only in hospital for 2/7 weeks). I have data on my phone which I use to supplement.

why is wifi needed when in clerkship..? shouldn't any reference material be saved on the ipad itself? and are clerks really allowed to use electronic devices so extensively in hospitals? (sorry if this sounds ignorant).:o

oh we use them all the time. All the time.

and many useful things are just online without an off line option. Uptodate for instance which we check a lot.

I think the thing that attracts people the most about macs is that they are (1) super user friendly and (2) super sleek and simple - simple things like that make mac so attractive to people who don't need much complex functions out of their laptop

I bought the mac air for udnergrad (still in undergrad) and it was honestly the best decision I've ever made - you can never overestimate the advantages of having such a light laptop :) (for school purposes of course, where you generally don't need it for anything complex)

When do you guys think the next refresh of the Macbook Air or Retina Pro models will come? I want to buy one but am hesitating for now since I'm not sure when they'll update the lines.

Last year, the Air's came out in time for the September school rush. The retina's came out around November of the same year. I used an old laptop and waited to get the Retina.

I think the thing that attracts people the most about macs is that they are (1) super user friendly and (2) super sleek and simple - simple things like that make mac so attractive to people who don't need much complex functions out of their laptop

I bought the mac air for udnergrad (still in undergrad) and it was honestly the best decision I've ever made - you can never overestimate the advantages of having such a light laptop :) (for school purposes of course, where you generally don't need it for anything complex)

I've been using a PC for a good portion of my life and recently bought a mac laptop. While I agree with (2)+battery life, I don't necessarily agree with (1) lol. There are little bugs that I've found in Mac OS that annoy me. Some of them is just because I've not bothered to read an instruction manual (which btw, is the internet itself), while others are just plain bugs that have resonated with some of my classmates as well.

When do you guys think the next refresh of the Macbook Air or Retina Pro models will come? I want to buy one but am hesitating for now since I'm not sure when they'll update the lines.

Apple wanted to refresh the Macbook Pros earlier last year, but they were waiting on the Haswell processor availability from Intel. This year, for a major refresh, we'll have to wait for Broadwell (Intel's Haswell refresh). Current estimates are that the laptop Broadwell chips will be available before year's end, but not before school starts in September.

Haswell brought about some impressive battery life improvements for laptops, and rumors are that Broadwell will bring about a 30% reduction processor power requirements. Perhaps this will mean 15 hours of battery life for an Macbook Air and 10 hours or so for the updated Retinas (currently ~12 for Air and ~7-8 for Pro)? I hope so.

Apple wanted to refresh the Macbook Pros earlier last year, but they were waiting on the Haswell processor availability from Intel. This year, for a major refresh, we'll have to wait for Broadwell (Intel's Haswell refresh). Current estimates are that the laptop Broadwell chips will be available before year's end, but not before school starts in September.

Haswell brought about some impressive battery life improvements for laptops, and rumors are that Broadwell will bring about a 30% reduction processor power requirements. Perhaps this will mean 15 hours of battery life for an Macbook Air and 10 hours or so for the updated Retinas (currently ~12 for Air and ~7-8 for Pro)? I hope so.

the delay is kind of annoying - I have friends who have been waiting for them to come out. Looks like maybe as you say christmas (logical time actually for sales etc) or early next year.

I've always told myself I'd never buy a Mac because of how overpriced they are and I despise the OS. Also, I decided to go with an Android for my phone so the only other Apple device I own is my iPad.

But... the battery life and low weight is so tempting at this point. Any good PC either has horrible battery life or is huge. Then again, if I get a strong laptop, I'm going to end up gaming/wasting time :P

I was gonna buy a retina MBP but apparently they have display issues, like most other ultra high res screens (I would guess they get them from the same companies). I'm waiting till those get resolved.

What screen issues are you referring to? I know several people with both 13" and 15" rMBPs and none of them have had any screen issues. The main selling point of the rMBPs is the incredible quality of the screen...

If you aren't talking about display quality issues (like manufacturing defects), perhaps you are referring to software support for high-resolution displays. On this front, Windows laptops with high resolution displays have many issues due to Windows poor handling of DPI scaling. Mac, on the other hand, has fantastic support for DPI scaling in the newest version of OS X.

On the Windows front, many applications will have to be updated in order to have proper display in Windows 8.1 with a high resolution display. Older applications are unlikely to be patched. In Mac, on OS X, scaling works great from (what I understand) all applications.

Other issues that do exist with high resolution screens (in ultrabooks especially) is a lack of graphical processing to power the high res display (e.g., the 1st generation 13" rMBP was known to have screen refresh problems when scrolling quickly). Haswell (and later Broadwell) processors from Intel, however, have much better integrated graphics than their predecessors and so this is not a major concern for standard 2D interfaces.

Archived