Premed 101 Forums

Which Mcat 2015 Review/prep Books?

groverdot

I'm planning on taking the MCAT this summer. In addition to a prep course I was planning on purchasing a set of Review/Prep books. From what I've gathered, the predominant MCAT prep book companies to have published their 2015 editions are as follows:

The Princeton Review: Princeton Review MCAT Subject Review Complete Set: New for MCAT 2015 ($143.57)

Kaplan: Kaplan MCAT Complete 7-Book Subject Review: Created for MCAT 2015 ($163.01)

Examkrackers: Examkrackers Complete MCAT Study Package (9th Edition) ($274.94)

The Berkeley Review hasn't released any 2015 material yet as far as I know.

I've tried scouring the internet for evidence supporting one over the other. While TBR has a great following, I'm hesitant to purchase their current books as they don't pertain directly to the new material. However, EK has received lots of praise across the board (especially here) and TPR has is generally well-received. Kaplan has received positive feedback, but I have come across a couple of negative reviews as well. Overall, on the Amazon links posted above, they all seemed to have done the job for people at one point or another.

I'm seriously deliberating purchasing the entire set of TPR and EK but that price tag looks like it's going to hurt (total = $418.51 before taxes, shipping etc.). I figure if it means I have a better shot at admission to med school (in addition to the potential resale value) it'll be worth it long-term. 

I know there is technically no "wrong" decision as all have their strengths and weaknesses, but does anyone have any particular insight/advice/knowledge/experience they could share that would help me out?

I bought the examkrackers 2015 books and while I just started to get into them, I really like them.  Very colorful, lots of good strategies.  Seems like they have adjusted their books to reflect how the test will be administered and not just the content on the test.  For example, the psych and soc book is divided up by concepts which they are focussing on.  This way we remember concepts/general trends/ideas and not necessarily all the facts.  In addition they are focussing on the relation between the psych and soc and the other sections of the MCAT, including identifying correlations between the psych and soc concepts themselves.  

Also I got the whole set from chapters.ca for 214$ with tax and shipping.   Much cheaper than amazon or examkrackers.  

I bought the examkrackers 2015 books and while I just started to get into them, I really like them.  Very colorful, lots of good strategies.  Seems like they have adjusted their books to reflect how the test will be administered and not just the content on the test.  For example, the psych and soc book is divided up by concepts which they are focussing on.  This way we remember concepts/general trends/ideas and not necessarily all the facts.  In addition they are focussing on the relation between the psych and soc and the other sections of the MCAT, including identifying correlations between the psych and soc concepts themselves.  

Also I got the whole set from chapters.ca for 214$ with tax and shipping.   Much cheaper than amazon or examkrackers.  

Thanks for your input. Especially that mention about Chapters! You've definitely saved me some serious cash.

For those who are interested: as it turns out, I've purchased all three - TPR, EK and Kaplan from Chapters.ca. Not gonna lie, it's probably overkill and it definitely hurt my bank account. But hey, I'm willing to bite the bullet and work a few extra shifts at the restaurant.

For the price I got them it was a steal. At my local bookseller just TPR alone was way over $300. As I said above, TPR and EK would've been >> $418 together on Amazon and the EK website. However, a purchase for all three on Chapters.ca only cost me was just over $500. I was able to take advantage of some coupon codes and received some money off by signing up for an e-mail subscription. I also qualified for free shipping.

I'll probably update this thread in the future letting whoever wants to know which I'm finding the most useful, economic, etc. etc. I'll likely do a post-MCAT update as well to let whoever wants to know how each prepared me for MCAT 2015 and how I did.  

Thanks for your input. Especially that mention about Chapters! You've definitely saved me some serious cash.

For those who are interested: as it turns out, I've purchased all three - TPR, EK and Kaplan from Chapters.ca. Not gonna lie, it's probably overkill and it definitely hurt my bank account. But hey, I'm willing to bite the bullet and work a few extra shifts at the restaurant.

For the price I got them it was a steal. At my local bookseller just TPR alone was way over $300. As I said above, TPR and EK would've been >> $418 together on Amazon and the EK website. However, a purchase for all three on Chapters.ca only cost me was just over $500. I was able to take advantage of some coupon codes and received some money off by signing up for an e-mail subscription. I also qualified for free shipping.

I'll probably update this thread in the future letting whoever wants to know which I'm finding the most useful, economic, etc. etc. I'll likely do a post-MCAT update as well to let whoever wants to know how each prepared me for MCAT 2015 and how I did.  

followup posts for during and after mcat would be very valuable to many! thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I got the EK 2015 in the mail. It's really good and I feel really comfortable studying with it. I got it from chapters like everyone suggested and it was well worth the price for sure. I also purchased TBR books (the entire set only for 150!!! From kijiji). I think I'm going to start on one section with EK ie. Biology, and then use TBR after, and so on.

• 1 month later...

Looking forward for an update on your part :)

You guys bought examkrackers for 214$ at chapters? Was it a deal that might have terminated? As far as I can see it is only being sold for 313$ plus tax and it is on sale.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/home/search/?keywords=examkrackers#facetIds=&page=0&priceValues%5B%5D=3&priceValues%5B%5D=20&sc=&sf=&sortDirection=1&sortKey=AdjustedPrice , am I missing something?

Hello again everyone. I just purchased the EK series of books online and I am awaiting the shipment in order to study for the MCAT. After having looked at the content something worries me. There is no dedicated book for biochemistry. This is a little worrisome because according to aamc there has been some biochemistry added. Now this confuses me a little. I thought the EK package was supposed to contain everything for the new MCAT. Is it because it's integrated in the chemistry section, I did not seem to find it in there when looking at the contents online.

Thank You

Hey Aj. I think it's integrated in the biology sections (as there are two biology books now). I also grabbed a Kaplan biochem book for $30 for MCAT 2015 just in case.

Thank you, I think I might do something similar. I have heard that EK is best representative of the MCAT but really skims everything down. It gives you the bare bones. So whatever I feel needs more depth I might purchase a separate book. I am anxiously waiting the books :)

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone here order the new EK set that had previously studied with an older one? How do they compare? I don't want to spend a lot of $$ if the sets are basically the same, with the exception of the new Psych/Soc section. I don't know who to trust for reviews out there... it seems that EK has the most favourable review, followed by Kaplan. I might end up getting both, but would love to hear from those who used a previous EK set.

I ordered the 2015 EK set, the huge 2015 princeton book (because it came with 4 full practice tests) and some kaplan flash cards.

I had the old EK set before and when i compare what I used for the old MCAT vs what I have now to study for the new one i feel as though I'm short a lot of practice questions...  Does anyone have an recommendations for extra questions for 2015 mcat or should I go and re-buy 1001 EK question books from the old mcat?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading a lot of reviews for the 2015 prep packages.

- It seems like the Princeton set has loads of errors and basically just reused their < 2014 content in a rush to be one of the first on the market. However, I like that you can buy the "test package" alone through their website and will probably do that.

- EK seems to be the best bang for your buck, but lacks a devoted biochem section, as someone mentioned above. Has this been a problem for anyone yet?

TPR has an online "self-guided study" for 2015, but $1900 is completely ridiculous. I just wish I could access the practice questions. Do you feel like the EK books offer enough practice questions?

I've been reading a lot of reviews for the 2015 prep packages.

- It seems like the Princeton set has loads of errors and basically just reused their < 2014 content in a rush to be one of the first on the market. However, I like that you can buy the "test package" alone through their website and will probably do that.

- EK seems to be the best bang for your buck, but lacks a devoted biochem section, as someone mentioned above. Has this been a problem for anyone yet?

TPR has an online "self-guided study" for 2015, but $1900 is completely ridiculous. I just wish I could access the practice questions. Do you feel like the EK books offer enough practice questions?

I believe the biochem section is incorporated in the biology book.

I'm using NextStep Test Prep books and I like them a lot so far. I bought the content books, as well as the strategy and practice books. They have a really good online schedule that incorporates Khan's videos... I also think the schedule will be do-able with my work schedule. 

Welp, just ordered the EK 2015 and TPR Psych (for the 3 full lengths, 1 being free anyways but w.e). Not going to write until August but damn, this year is hectic lol. Good luck to us all with this new behemoth that is the 2015 MCAT. We can do it :D.

I purchased them, but they haven't arrived yet. I'll give you an update when I've taken a look at them.

If anyone is ordering the EK package off of Amazon, be aware that the 3-5 business day shipping is not accurate since the book comes from the publisher. My estimated time of deliver is approximately 1 month. Amazon will refund you shipping costs because of this if you give them a call.

Archived