Premed 101 Forums

Uoft Interview Discussion 2015

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering if anyone can provide any insight as to why some people received their invites for the April 18th interview date starting from March 24th (about 3.5 weeks in advance). This seems a lot earlier than the previous interview dates.

I don't want to start any drama or anything, but just wondering why that is.

I was wondering if anyone can provide any insight as to why some people received their invites for the April 18th interview date starting from March 24th (about 3.5 weeks in advance). This seems a lot earlier than the previous interview dates.

I don't want to start any drama or anything, but just wondering why that is.

Maybe they throw us a bone for having an interview during final exams...

Not sure if this would answer your question but last year  (last year of my MSc) I applied to U of T and didn't hear back until AFTER the last interview date, like the Monday after. I remember thinking that they were going to add another date. This was AFTER they posted a Facebook message saying that all the rejections have been sent out, and to please reapply. When that FB post was made, I called the Admissions Office thinking that I had actually forgotten to apply to U of T. They basically told me that I was a back-up for interviews in case someone bailed last minute but since the interview date had just passed and they have decided not to add additional dates, I'll be receiving an email shortly informing me of my rejection. I received an email 2 hours later...

Just wanted to point out that I was in almost this exact situation last year, but I was rejected in the first batch of rejections this year. Statistically given one case of good news and one of bad news throws a wrench in the gears on this theory!

However using common sense, it would seem quite probable that if you've survived this long, they're taking/have taken a good long look at you...hopefully next year is your year everyone!

Just wanted to point out that I was in almost this exact situation last year, but I was rejected in the first batch of rejections this year. Statistically given one case of good news and one of bad news throws a wrench in the gears on this theory!

However using common sense, it would seem quite probable that if you've survived this long, they're taking/have taken a good long look at you...hopefully next year is your year everyone!

Yeah...there goes my theory. 

Update from Admissions

https://utmedadmissions.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/april-has-arrived/

April is here and we have a few more updates on this year’s admissions cycle to share with you.

With the final interview date of April 18th just over a week away, we can officially say that all interview spots are now full. Unless we have any interview cancellations between now and April 18th, we will not be sending out any additional invites.

The majority of our decisions have now been released, but as indicated in the last blog update, we will hold off on a few decisions until just before the final interview date.

Congratulations to all of those who received an interview invitation this year.

To those who did not, we would like to wish you good luck in your future endeavors. If studying Medicine is your passion, remember, it is not uncommon to apply more than once before being successful. While we cannot offer individualized feedback on applications, we do suggest that you view the information posted on our website here to consider why your application may have been unsuccessful this year.

And as always, if you have additional questions please get in touch with our office. We are here to help.

• 2 weeks later...

After clicking on one of the links from a previous post in this thread, I eventually came to this site: http://www.medhopeful.com/e-book-mastering-the-admissions-essay-university-of-toronto-medical-school/

Has anyone used this resource? Is it helpful? Is it even legal for the author to advertise himself as a "mentor" in this context and use his status as a (past) UofT medical student for financial gain?

I actually bought that .pdf when I was applying, didn't find it to be very helpful though since a lot of the advice he gives is straightforward and the essay writing tips he provides are things you probably learned in English 12. 

Is anyone able to comment on what the final breakdown of each applicant's standing will be? I.e. Percentage of interview (likely worth a larger chunk), BPEs, LORs, etc.?

I was trying to look online for anything legitimate but came up short. Ideas?

When I was at my interview, I asked one of the med students the exact same question, and I heard the same question asked numerous times throughout the day. No one seems to know the answer. I heard some speculate that the reason for hiding this information, is that they want each applicant to do their best one each component of the admission process and not worry about a single part influencing their chances.

Is anyone able to comment on what the final breakdown of each applicant's standing will be? I.e. Percentage of interview (likely worth a larger chunk), BPEs, LORs, etc.?

I was trying to look online for anything legitimate but came up short. Ideas?

It's not public in any way so I don't think you will get an answer. There used to be a formula floating around but I've heard that's no longer applicable with the new MPI interview format.

What were everyone's thoughts on the MPI? I found it to be probably the most relaxing and enjoyable interview yet. I wish I had a little more than 12 minutes to flesh out my responses some more, but I feel pretty good about what I said the other day!

Yeah I like how multiple one-on-one interviews gives us more chances and that each interview is independent from each other. However, I found the one-on-one style a bit intimidating with the interviewers who were more straight-faced. But I dunno, we'll see how it went in a month!

Archived