Premed 101 Forums

Western Interview Discussion 2015

At mine they specifically said "Well this is the end of the formal questions" and then proceeded just to ask me questions about myself.

Oops yeah I should've specified I meant that Lithos' interviewers might've wanted to mention to him that they ran out of time but he answered everything. My interviewers said the same thing as yours :) Although they didn't really ask questions about me :(

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's worth repeating over and over again - how you think you did and how you actually did are completely unrelated

Coming out of interviews, I made a guess of how well I thought I did at each school I interviewed and where I'd get in or not get in. I went 1 for 3 in my guesses, and no, Western was not the 1 :P

My panel was very receptive and very nice to me! I really liked the atmosphere they set and it helped to ease my nerves. I was pretty confident for all my answers.

Although one thing that has been eating away at me was that a sensitive topic came up near the end of my interview and I teared up a little bit and need about 10 seconds to recompose myself but after that I was able to still deliver confident answers, albeit slightly more shaken up. I wasn't sobbing like crazy or anything. The panel was really nice about it and said don't worry and that we could move to the next topic, but I can't help but feel that tearing up in the interview has negatively impacted my overall great interview. There was a tissue box on the desk so I assume they were prepared for some applicants to become emotional but I was just wondering what your opinions are, do you think tearing up would be a sign of weakness and would show that you are unable to handle the emotional stress doctors undergo daily?

Thanks for any input, I may also be thinking about this too much haha.

My panel was very receptive and very nice to me! I really liked the atmosphere they set and it helped to ease my nerves. I was pretty confident for all my answers.

Although one thing that has been eating away at me was that a sensitive topic came up near the end of my interview and I teared up a little bit and need about 10 seconds to recompose myself but after that I was able to still deliver confident answers, albeit slightly more shaken up. I wasn't sobbing like crazy or anything. The panel was really nice about it and said don't worry and that we could move to the next topic, but I can't help but feel that tearing up in the interview has negatively impacted my overall great interview. There was a tissue box on the desk so I assume they were prepared for some applicants to become emotional but I was just wondering what your opinions are, do you think tearing up would be a sign of weakness and would show that you are unable to handle the emotional stress doctors undergo daily?

Thanks for any input, I may also be thinking about this too much haha.

If the topic that came up was a death of a family member/friend (or something similar) then tearing up would be completely fine and your panel won't look down on that.  If anything, it might even humanize you..

But if the topic was starving kids in Africa or how not everyone has access to basic care, and you started tearing up, that might come off as odd.

Qwertiest, 

That sounds perfectly acceptable to me. I don't think it would have negatively impacted your interview. Death is a weighty subject and I'm sure they're aware that the grieving process takes time (and everyone responds differently). You obviously cared a lot about the patient. You were also able to gain composure and proceed with the remainder of the interview. I would have found it difficult to do so in 10 seconds.

One of my verifiers/references will be changing their contact information sometime this month. Am I allowed to update admissions regarding this when I find out the new contact info? Also, if they try to get in touch with the referee, if they're unable to, would they let me know so I could update them? I wouldn't want to get flagged / rejected over this.

My other verifiers / referees probably have the same contact info, so I don't know if someone would get rejected over something like that if everything checks out otherwise.

One of my verifiers/references will be changing their contact information sometime this month. Am I allowed to update admissions regarding this when I find out the new contact info? Also, if they try to get in touch with the referee, if they're unable to, would they let me know so I could update them? I wouldn't want to get flagged / rejected over this.

My other verifiers / referees probably have the same contact info, so I don't know if someone would get rejected over something like that if everything checks out otherwise.

Couldn't hurt to send an e-mail to the admissions office.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

GPA and MCAT minimums are based on the quality of the applicant pool and may vary from year to year.

For applicants from outside Southwestern Ontario, the GPA and MCAT minimums for the 2014-15 application cycle are as follows:

• GPA: 3.70
  • MCAT:
  • Biological Sciences: 12
  • Physical Sciences: 9
  • Verbal Reasoning: 11
  • (Combined total of 32)

Some flexibility with the MCAT  is given to applicants from Southwestern Ontario. The Schulich Medicine Admissions Committee's definition of Southwestern Ontario consists of Grey, Bruce, Huron, Perth, Oxford, Middlesex, Lambton, Chatham-Kent, Elgin, Essex and Norfolk Counties. If you attended high school in one of these counties, you would be considered a Southwestern Ontario applicant.

In the 2014-2015 application cycle, for Southwestern Ontario applicants, a minimum score of 8 in any one section of the MCAT is acceptable as long as the combined score for Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, and Verbal Reasoning is 32 or more.

• GPA: 3.70
  • MCAT:
  • Biological Sciences: 8
  • Physical Sciences: 8
  • Verbal Reasoning: 8
  • BS, PS, VR combined total must be 32

Thanks but I wanted to know the average of the accepted applicants :P

Since it's a hard cutoff to get an interview and no bonuses for being above the cutoff (pre-interview at least), the distribution is going to be weighted heavily towards the lower end of the spectrum. Non-SWOMEN have section-specific considerations, so they're probably a bit higher than SWOMEN (a 32 with 8+/8+/8+ is more likely than a 32 with the precise 9/11/12 distribution, so non-SWOMEN tend to overshoot in at least one category). Most people will be in the 32-36 range or so, though I know most classes have a couple people with 40+ scores.

I just remembered - I didn't put my name/ID information on the photograph I submitted on interview day. That shouldn't matter right? :S I assumed the photos were going in specific pre-existing files/folders for each applicant.

Also, I'm sure this has been asked but I couldn't find a definite answer. Does Western send outright rejections (other than the "low waitlist" status)? Or is almost everyone essentially placed on the waitlist?

I just remembered - I didn't put my name/ID information on the photograph I submitted on interview day. That shouldn't matter right? :S I assumed the photos were going in specific pre-existing files/folders for each applicant.

Also, I'm sure this has been asked but I couldn't find a definite answer. Does Western send outright rejections (other than the "low waitlist" status)? Or is almost everyone essentially placed on the waitlist?

I think I asked the staff if I need to write info on the back of the photo and remember them saying they'll figure it out.

And I've heard that Western doesn't really send out rejections but I haven't heard this from any direct source.

I think I asked the staff if I need to write info on the back of the photo and remember them saying they'll figure it out.

And I've heard that Western doesn't really send out rejections but I haven't heard this from any direct source.

I'm not sure if they send direct rejections, but if you get the 'low waitlist' email, that is a rejection.

Okay phew that's good to know :)

I'm not sure if they send direct rejections, but if you get the 'low waitlist' email, that is a rejection.

Yeah I figured that too. I was asking because I was trying to figure out if the normal waitlist would be longer or shorter than the low waitlist (because if it's shorter, normal waitlisters may have a better chance than they think) but I'm guessing it's longer.

Archived