Premed 101 Forums

Western Interview Discussion 2015

Just wondering why do some people get offers to a certain campus and others to unspecified? Does it have anything to do with interview rankings? And does unspecified mean that you have an equal chance of getting either London or Windsor? Thanks!

Posted by ralk in another thread:

"It looks like the acceptances are starting to come out! Slightly off topic, but probably best to put here - a question that often comes up is what "Unspecified Campus" means.

In past years, London has been more highly requested than Windsor by accepted applicants. Rather than simply put students in Windsor who would prefer London, Schulich says "Unspecified" and as accepted applicants decline their offer, spots open up in London which go to individuals who previous had "Unspecified Campus". In the past, as far as I'm aware, enough people have declined their offers to Schulich that everyone who initially got "Unspecified Campus" ended up in London.

Basically, "Unspecified Campus" means London, but Schulich won't make any promises in case there are very few people who decline the offer of acceptance."

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondering why do some people get offers to a certain campus and others to unspecified? Does it have anything to do with interview rankings? And does unspecified mean that you have an equal chance of getting either London or Windsor? Thanks!

kind of - there are fixed number of spots western has - and still there is a bias towards going to London (even though Windsor is amazing, and this is coming from one the students that spend time at both campuses). So when they offer say 171 spots for people usually, and again this year, of the people offered more people really wanted London than there are available spots (say I don't know as an example there are 140 spots in London and 31 in Windsor - and of the 171 people offered acceptance 160 want London - making up some numbers).

The thing is the school wants to honour your choice if it can - and it knows there will be an amount of waitlist movement. So by the time that movement occurs then yeah there will be enough spots in London. So eventually everyone in round one listed as undecided with the movement actually gets what they chose. Worst case and the waitlist doesn't move enough and then you will be assigned a location based on your rank choice and preference (you want Windsor and you will get it, you want London and you may get it).

Those pulled off the waitlist are pulled one at a time - so they can see how many spots are left at each campus - if there is a spot left where you want to go you get it. If not then you will get what is left which basically means Windsor (again Windsor is an amazing place for a lot reasons I would love to go into elsewhere - those advantages are why it has a crazy high CARMS match rate in part).

Thank you both for the answers! I'm guessing they won't specify which campus before decisions are due (in 2 weeks?). Just wondering since that may be a deciding factor is choosing Schulich over other schools. Thanks!

Don't think they've specified campus until after the deadline in the past, but as ralk mentioned, there's a high chance of getting into your preferred campus

Thank you both for the answers! I'm guessing they won't specify which campus before decisions are due (in 2 weeks?). Just wondering since that may be a deciding factor is choosing Schulich over other schools. Thanks!

yeah they won't - although again Windsor really is a great campus as well. Ha, I sound like a broken record - but really the facilities are top of the line new, much more space, better teacher student ratio and you would be a big fish in a small pond (ie if you say want rads chances are you are the ONLY one that does in your year  - guess who gets the research projects, goes the presentations, gets one on one instructions (no residents, no fellows) and generally is at the head of the line. Don't forget stuff like that - it is very powerful).

Any way of confirming if my reply to be kept on wait list was received? Send another email?

No automatic way or email or call - although I should say since it came up a few times that they would expect a response either way and I would be very surprised that they just removed your name without attempting contact in the end. While they are still busy they are also no longer dealing with 1000s of applicants etc, etc. They don't want a missed email to be the cause of problems.

Thanks. Also, I took 3 courses this year as part-time studies for prereqs to OOP schools. Will this be factored into the decision? Should I wait before sending my final transcript or is this just a formality?

the only things that matter are that you graduated and have of course the two years they want - as long as you didn't start a new degree you meet their rules.

Archived