Premed 101 Forums

Western Interview Discussion 2015

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do they separate IPs & OOPs with different GPA & MCAT cutoffs?

No, they do not; the only separation is between SWOMEN and non-SWOMEN.

(The Schulich Medicine Admissions Committee’s definition of Southwestern Ontario consists of the following counties: Grey, Bruce, Huron, Perth, Oxford, Middlesex, Lambton, Chatham-Kent, Elgin, Essex and Norfolk.  If you attended high school in one of these counties, you would be considered a Southwestern Ontario applicant.)

So at this point, no invite = reject? 

NVM, i just got an email saying that my transcript does not meet the full course requirement, which i am really confused about. I meet the GPA and MCAT requirements though.

So I am wondering do everyone who meets the GPA and MCAT requirements get an interview? If that is the case, then I should probably contact them to clarify the situation right? Thanks for your help!

How many full course equivalents did you have in your best 2 years that meet the cut-off? Also, are 3/5 of those full course equivalents at the proper academic level? If either of these criteria are not met, that year will not be considered as one of the two years they look at for GPA.

How many full course equivalents did you have in your best 2 years that meet the cut-off? Also, are 3/5 of those full course equivalents at the proper academic level? If either of these criteria are not met, that year will not be considered as one of the two years they look at for GPA.

I did undergrad in the US, and we had a quarter system and none of the courses are labelled at a particular level. I did full course load that are at my academic level. But i guess i can see where they are confused about. 

So at this point, no invite = reject? 

NVM, i just got an email saying that my transcript does not meet the full course requirement, which i am really confused about. I meet the GPA and MCAT requirements though.

So I am wondering do everyone who meets the GPA and MCAT requirements get an interview? If that is the case, then I should probably contact them to clarify the situation right? Thanks for your help!

you should look closely to see if anything is incorrect and yes contact them for clarification etc.

I did undergrad in the US, and we had a quarter system and none of the courses are labelled at a particular level. I did full course load that are at my academic level. But i guess i can see where they are confused about. 

sure that would be confusing - you may have to walk them through it.

Does no email at this point = rejection? So confused...

EDIT: Got the same email as emilylithium. I thought I met the requirements because GPA and MCAT are okay, and I'm completing a 4-year degree in 3 years (with full course load in all 3 years). Any thoughts?

Does no email at this point = rejection? So confused...

EDIT: Got the same email as emilylithium. I thought I met the requirements because GPA and MCAT are okay, and I'm completing a 4-year degree in 3 years (with full course load in all 3 years). Any thoughts?

same thing - the office is very careful but mistakes can happen. Check it over and make an argument that you met the requirements as posted. At least get an explanation of why you were not considered (perhaps they didn't think you could graduate on time etc).

Cutoffs are posted on the website now, no changes from last year

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/medicine/undergraduate/future_students/admission/requirements.html

so the applicant pool didn't change significantly then I guess - plus the test didn't suddenly get easier like it has a couple of times in recent memory.

Going to be interesting next year with the new test!

Anyone know how many people Western invites to interview? Could it be that the applicants got more competitive but Western just invited more people based on the same cutoffs?

Possible, but the change likely won't be large. Western has the same number of spots to offer and not much reason to think they need more interviewees to fill those spots to their satisfaction.

Western can be a bit flexible about the exact number of interviewees though, so if they interviewed an extra dozen or so people, it's well within their normal year-to-year variation.

Possible, but the change likely won't be large. Western has the same number of spots to offer and not much reason to think they need more interviewees to fill those spots to their satisfaction.

Western can be a bit flexible about the exact number of interviewees though, so if they interviewed an extra dozen or so people, it's well within their normal year-to-year variation.

exactly - I mean they aren't trying to get say exactly 450 people to interview, just something around there to be safe, cost effective and not to waste applicants or interviewer time.

Archived