Premed 101 Forums

May 15Th, 2015 Support Thread

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None of my verifiers said anything about being contacted post-interview. That being said, they were definitely contacted before interview!

do you know how many of your verifiers were contacted? 

Only two of my verifiers told me that they were contacted... wondering if it's a random process or not..

do you know how many of your verifiers were contacted? 

Only two of my verifiers told me that they were contacted... wondering if it's a random process or not..

I think it's pretty random. 3 of mine told me they were contacted, all pre-interview. 

Do you guys think UBC might recognize/remember you when reviewing your application if you applied several year? :rolleyes:

Maybe, but I don't see how that would be relevant though. Persistence is nice yes, but every cycle is different and they want the "best" candidates - whatever metrics it is that they choose to base those decisions on.

Any input on UBC vs UofT for medicine? I interviewed at both this cycle and I'm completely torn on which to choose. Vancouver is my home and UBC Med has some awesome facilities, but I'm anxious about the new curriculum...My worries with Toronto aren't academic, but more related to the harsher climate. 

Of the small number of peers from UBC, who were ultimately accepted at both UBC and UofT, 7 out of 8 picked UofT.  Can't really say much about the rationale, except that all of them were definitely interested in strong academics and specialties.   I know a few of them definitely wanted a change of scenery as well, and the opportunities that come with going to a different medical school/pushing themselves out of their comfort zones.

Of the small number of peers from UBC, who were ultimately accepted at both UBC and UofT, 7 out of 8 picked UofT.  Can't really say much about the rationale, except that all of them were definitely interested in strong academics and specialties.   I know a few of them definitely wanted a change of scenery as well, and the opportunities that come with going to a different medical school/pushing themselves out of their comfort zones.

I can only say from few friends I have in u of t that u of t has a freakin difficult first year curriculum 

Any input on UBC vs UofT for medicine? I interviewed at both this cycle and I'm completely torn on which to choose. Vancouver is my home and UBC Med has some awesome facilities, but I'm anxious about the new curriculum...My worries with Toronto aren't academic, but more related to the harsher climate. 

As a Vancouverite who lived in Toronto for a few years, the winter was tough at first but you do adapt. I really miss Toronto now and the feel of the city. I was really hoping to get an interview at UofT this year because I'd go back in a heart beat.

As a Vancouverite who lived in Toronto for a few years, the winter was tough at first but you do adapt. I really miss Toronto now and the feel of the city. I was really hoping to get an interview at UofT this year because I'd go back in a heart beat.

That's great to hear, really sorry to hear that you didn't get an interview this cycle. I wish I had more time to explore the city but I had to come back for final exams. I've spent the past 20+ years here in Van so I can definitely see it being refreshing.

Maybe that is part of the reason why less & less OOPs declined the offer. While, UofT is still one of most competitive schools as they don't separate IPs & OOPs. Residency is another factor. Will attendance of different schools impact the residency location in the future?

From their website: 

"Post-Interview: All aspects of applicants’ files are looked at. The Admissions Selection Committee will consider that applicants, whatever their particular academic background, have demonstrated they are likely to perform well in the rigorous curriculum and problem-based format of the program. Assessment of academic performance also includes reviewing trends in grades from year to year as well as senior undergraduate and graduate level achievements completed by application deadline."

Does this mean they consider courseload and how many of your courses were from upper-level courses?

From their website: 

"Post-Interview: All aspects of applicants’ files are looked at. The Admissions Selection Committee will consider that applicants, whatever their particular academic background, have demonstrated they are likely to perform well in the rigorous curriculum and problem-based format of the program. Assessment of academic performance also includes reviewing trends in grades from year to year as well as senior undergraduate and graduate level achievements completed by application deadline."

Does this mean they consider courseload and how many of your courses were from upper-level courses?

I think they check if the grades are going down or up. Some schools specifically check the GPA of last 2 years, Queen's or McGill?

Archived