Premed 101 Forums

May 15Th, 2015 Support Thread

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was the sequence last year? Rejection first in the morning, acceptance in the afternoon followed by the waitlist?

Im skeptical about last years sequence. The interview reject/invite sequence this cycle was similar to that in 2012, maybe the offers will also follow suit. Not sure if 2014 was similar to 2012.

Thanks... getting waitlisted was no fun.  Lots of people said, "Well at least you weren't rejected!" but I often wonder if living in limbo wasn't worse than just getting on with life.  Here's hoping that this year is more definitive!

Somebody said the waitlisters are very close, & could get in sooner or later. Good luck this year. 

Yeah moves less and less the last few years.

Anecdotally, UBC seems to be shifting to interviewing people who aren't as competitive OOP, i.e. have good ECs with lower GPA and MCAT, or at the very least they seem to be looking for a very specific type of applicant.

A lot of people I knew this cycle and last only got the UBC interview, so the ones that were accepted last year didn't really have the choice to decline. On the other hand, I know multiple BC residents who didn't get the UBC interview, but got up to 4 (!) OOP interviews.

Take with a grain of salt of course since anecdotes =/= data

Anecdotally, UBC seems to be shifting to interviewing people who aren't as competitive OOP, i.e. have good ECs with lower GPA and MCAT, or at the very least they seem to be looking for a very specific type of applicant.

A lot of people I knew this cycle and last only got the UBC interview, so the ones that were accepted last year didn't really have the choice to decline. On the other hand, I know multiple BC residents who didn't get the UBC interview, but got up to 4 (!) OOP interviews.

Do you mind if I ask: Did they get in at the end as OOPs?

I've also seen something very similar to this. The first time I applied was the 2012/2013 cycle and it seemed that if one had a strong GPA, they were pretty much guaranteed an interview (was possible to score 50/50 AQ).

In 2013/2014 I saw many people who applied and interviewed the previous year not get an interview, and many people with lower GPA/MCAT who could not score an interview the year before get in. If I had to go out on a limb I think UBC is trying to move towards more importance on ECs than GPA/MCAT.

I've also seen something very similar to this. The first time I applied was the 2012/2013 cycle and it seemed that if one had a strong GPA, they were pretty much guaranteed an interview (was possible to score 50/50 AQ).

In 2013/2014 I saw many people who applied and interviewed the previous year not get an interview, and many people with lower GPA/MCAT who could not score an interview the year before get in. If I had to go out on a limb I think UBC is trying to move towards more importance on ECs than GPA/MCAT.

It's more or less the fact that they standardized the AQ scoring. So now the disparity between a high GPA and a low GPA isn't as large as it used to be, and now low GPA(relatively speaking by med standards) can be overcome to an extent by strong NAQ score.

It's more or less the fact that they standardized the AQ scoring. So now the disparity between a high GPA and a low GPA isn't as large as it used to be, and now low GPA(relatively speaking by med standards) can be overcome to an extent by strong NAQ score.

Right. At some point, it is fairer than before. Before, with a 75% GPA, you could only get 0 of AQ while someone could easily get 50 of AQ with a 90% GPA. 

Right. At some point, it is fairer than before. Before, with a 75% GPA, you could only get 0 of AQ while someone could easily get 50 of AQ with a 90% GPA. 

I wouldn't necessarily say "fairer" since the NAQ portion seems to be much more subjective and unpredictable. But again, it will never be perfect.

Archived