Premed 101 Forums

May 15Th, 2015 Support Thread

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very shocked by the possibility of this news. To be honest, I think it's a great move by UBC if they choose to move the date up. It shows that they are sympathetic to the issues that some applicants would have with writing the MCAT. 

Happy about it, just didn't expect it from UBC.

UBC is pretty receptive, I mean sure they get flack for sometimes not being transparent in public- but they always answer questions and provide insight if you message them through the applicant system. The people in that office are always super pleasant when responding to inquiries.

UBC is actually one of the more transparent schools :P

Might be even earlier to allow those who are only waiting on UBC to plan for an MCAT rewrite, if need be. ​Hopefully, they do consider our situation, which would be wonderful. However, there is no benefit in speculating right now, as they have suggested. 

Just curiously, what are the last MCAT taking dates that will work for the next coming cycle of UofC & UofA? UBC still accepts old MCAT until 2017, right?

The smiley face indicates sarcasm? :P  But yeah, really though, they are super awesome through communication via OAS. 

Not at all! UBC at least gives you some scores and is transparent on how they rank applicants pre-interview. If you apply to Ontario schools you basically enter a black box and they will tell you the result with nothing else.

Do you guys think having a car is useful for the first two years of med? 

Useful, depends on your own preferences and lifestyle. I can say you don't need a car in vancouver if you're fine with transit(our transit system here is really good for the most part. Especially if you're really only going to campus/VGH etc). 

It is helpful if you want the flexibility of taking advantage of local hikes and outdoors, without having to waste a lot of time on transit for those further distances/ rely on others for group outtings etc.

Then again, i'm not sure if the pre-clinical years require you to go to any other hospitals outside of Vancouver proper on a regular basis, i'll leave that for a current student to answer!

Do you guys think having a car is useful for the first two years of med? 

It really depends where you live. Anywhere within Vancouver proper has great transit. As soon as you're outside the city itself though (getting into Surrey, Delta, White Rock, New West, etc.), I've always found transit to be terrible. Within the city, you shouldn't have an issue getting around just by bus (or by biking, which is big in Van). 

Archived