Premed 101 Forums

May 15Th, 2015 Support Thread

Why do UofC, Dalhousie, & Memorial release the results so early? Do their 1st year courses start earlier than other schools, like sometime in summer?

UofC and UofA both decided to release early this year, so that the students who don't get in have enough time to sign up for the new MCAT.

Dalhousie and memorial always have released earlier from what i've read.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UofC and UofA both decided to release early this year, so that the students who don't get in have enough time to sign up for the new MCAT.

Dalhousie and memorial always have released earlier from what i've read.

True, although this year Memorial won't be releasing OOP acceptances until mid-May (I'm still waiting). For the other 3 competitions (NL, NB, & PEI), the results have already been released, though. 

They just wanted to coordinate with Ontario schools so that we wouldn't have to pay the deposit and forfeit it (I talked to an Adcom), which I personally appreciate despite the wait. 

I guess someone will have to pay the deposit to whichever acceptance released a month earlier while waiting for the top choice later, right? 

True, although this year Memorial won't be releasing OOP acceptances until mid-May (I'm still waiting). For the other 3 competitions (NL, NB, & PEI), the results have already been released, though. 

They just wanted to coordinate with Ontario schools so that we wouldn't have to pay the deposit and forfeit it (I talked to an Adcom), which I personally appreciate despite the wait. 

The american style system overall would not be suited to Canada, as the admissions departments here are not as big or equipped for all the extra work.

But on the specific stance of having a set date to only hold one offer and deadline for final deposit, I agree.  That way schools can individually release results whenever they are complete their evaluation process, but have a unified date for deposits.

This way, the majority of people whom are only interviewing at 1-2 places can have peace of mind earlier and sooner - and be able to plan.

Yeah, I think we'd all prefer to see an American-style system adopted in Canada for this issue. I'd imagine that at some point in the future the system will change. 

The american style system overall would not be suited to Canada, as the admissions departments here are not as big or equipped for all the extra work.

But on the specific stance of having a set date to only hold one offer and deadline for final deposit, I agree.  That way schools can individually release results whenever they are complete their evaluation process, but have a unified date for deposits.

This way, the majority of people whom are only interviewing at 1-2 places can have peace of mind earlier and sooner - and be able to plan.

Agreed. I was specifically referring to the set date to hold an offer, not the system as a whole. 

Here's to a good amount of OOP acceptances getting into other schools and opening up extra spots for the eventual waitlisters :P

And for IP students picking other places over UBC hehe.

The statistics are pretty interesting, the number of people declining UBC's acceptance in favour of other schools has been decreasing, perhaps because UBC's process has changed such that they are targeting a broader population of students that are more likely to pick UBC? or individuals whom UBC was their only interview etc. Pure speculation though.

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/files/2014/10/MED-2018-Admissions-Statistics.pdf

2012:  22 IP  & 42 OOP = 64 Declined

2013: 15 IP & 26 OOP = 41 Declined

2014: 7 IP & 20 OOP = 27 Declined

2015: TBA

In 2012, they ran out wailisters, & had to call some of the rejected ones back on the waitlist.

Here's to a good amount of OOP acceptances getting into other schools and opening up extra spots for the eventual waitlisters :P

And for IP students picking other places over UBC hehe.

The statistics are pretty interesting, the number of people declining UBC's acceptance in favour of other schools has been decreasing, perhaps because UBC's process has changed such that they are targeting a broader population of students that are more likely to pick UBC? or individuals whom UBC was their only interview etc. Pure speculation though.

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/files/2014/10/MED-2018-Admissions-Statistics.pdf

Hm, this is interesting..

In the event I am lucky enough to even get waitlisted, I pray that everyone picks a different school :P  

I'm guessing it has to do with how they changed the AQ and NAQ scoring evaluations. Seems like last cycle especially, people with lower AQs were able to squeak through, but realistically probably wouldn't have much chance at any OOP schools. This applies to myself and a few other low AQ'ers I know at least. So obviously for us, we would take UBC in a heartbeat!! Compared to those whom have multiple offers may go elsewhere for various reasons that are personal to them (new environment, connections etc). 

I personally know a handful of the people who declined in 2012, whom ended up going to UofT in particular. They were all all-star applicants whom had numerous options (some even top 10 US schools).

Why do UofC, Dalhousie, & Memorial release the results so early? Do their 1st year courses start earlier than other schools, like sometime in summer?

In addition to what Gohan said, Calgary does indeed start earlier, at the end of July. It's been a common point of concern, as people have one less month to relocate and move their lives should they need to.

Yikes. If you get onto the waitlist as IP, you may as well assume you were rejected with those numbers...

^To be fair, I don't think there is a separate OOP and IP waitlist... there is just a cap on the max number of OOP that can be accepted.

Exactly. If an OOP declines their offer, that spot goes to the highest on the waitlist, whether that's an OOP or an IP. 

In addition to what Gohan said, Calgary does indeed start earlier, at the end of July. It's been a common point of concern, as people have one less month to relocate and move their lives should they need to.

U of C also release the results about a month earlier, unless you hold the acceptance while waiting for other news in May.

Does UBC know if their applicants interview at other schools?

Not really. Referring to the statis, less & less OOPs who declined UBC's offer, & also, less & less IPs who declined the offer too, that made the waitlist moving very slow. :(

OOPs are also more likely to get into a different school as well, so it probably balances out.

Archived