Premed 101 Forums

2015 Waitlist Anonymous

Yeah it only says standard first aid on the website but when you go for registration, you have to specify the level and I was not sure about that.

@sunday yes it is one of their requirements to have a standard first aid certificate.i think you need to have it before classes begin. You can check it on their website as well.

If anyone knows about the level then please let me know.

Standard First Aid and CPR for Health Care Professionals. The CPR course needs to specify HCP specifically.

http://www.bcfirstaid.ca/first-aid-training/cpr-comparison.php

Let me know if you have any questions

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Standard First Aid and CPR for Health Care Professionals. The CPR course needs to specify HCP specifically.

http://www.bcfirstaid.ca/first-aid-training/cpr-comparison.php

Let me know if you have any questions

I emailed the office to ask what we needed and Sherrill replied "Standard first aid only, you'll get cpr training in a course" but I couldn't find first aid classes only cause I think they only come with cpr so I'm taking level C. Don't think it matters since it isn't required.

If you are IP, SIAST offers first aid only courses for $120. OOP could look into technical colleges that could offer them separately.

My fist aid + cpr C was 116 through the city of saskatoon! So it's not more expensive to do cpr too but maybe its an extra day or something

edit: just checked, same length of course at SIAST

CPR C is the one you need. It should only cost around $80 and you can register through the heart and stroke foundation website (at least in Ontario you can).  I'm not really sure what the difference is between a first aid course and the CPR course. The CPR course is basic life support and teaches the initial algorithm to either a respiratory or cardiac arrest as well as the Heimlich and how to use the AED. 

I emailed the office to ask what we needed and Sherrill replied "Standard first aid only, you'll get cpr training in a course" but I couldn't find first aid classes only cause I think they only come with cpr so I'm taking level C. Don't think it matters since it isn't required.

No CPR is required for medicine start date, only first aid. If you do a course with both that's fine. But you'll get CPR training in the medicine program.

I got an email from UofS saying they are still working through the list as they get declines.

Did you two email them asking and get that response, or did they just send it without being asked? I'm curious because I didn't get an email from them saying they're still working through the list. Also, when did you get that email?

Did you two email them asking and get that response, or did they just send it without being asked? I'm curious because I didn't get an email from them saying they're still working through the list. Also, when did you get that email?

I emailed (on May 15th) explaining that I'm a non-trad applicant and I have other obligations. I wanted to see if they could give me the same indication of where I was on the list that they give the IP (i.e. top, middle or bottom third) considering this year there were 3x the # of people who passed the interview stage.They emailed me back today saying they could not tell me my position, resent the emails stating that they will not give further indication of where OOP applicants land on the list and said they have already started going down the list.

I think they triage their emails and they finally got to the emails that were going to be a 'no, we won't give you more information.'

CPR C is the one you need. It should only cost around $80 and you can register through the heart and stroke foundation website (at least in Ontario you can).  I'm not really sure what the difference is between a first aid course and the CPR course. The CPR course is basic life support and teaches the initial algorithm to either a respiratory or cardiac arrest as well as the Heimlich and how to use the AED. 

Office says it's just first aid, not CPR. But I think you'll be hard pressed to find a first aid only class and in Saskatoon (maybe thats easier in Ontario?) they aren't any cheaper or shorter than the ones that include CPR here - not sure about how things work in Ontario. Also not sure about heart and stroke foundation, but the links they give on the U of S website go to red cross (which shows dates and times for U of S Aquatics, City of Saskatoon, and I think red cross classes at their location) or st john's ambulance and apparently our tech college, SIAST, has them too. Also: here they're all ~$115-160 based on my shopping around, but the cheaper ones don't include the 25$ book and the more expensive classes (160) from st johns give a 10% student discount.

Just dropping by to say I've been accepted off the waitlist in my home province, so I will be removing myself from the OOP waitlist at Sask. Hopefully sometime during this miserable summer of waiting, this helps a few folks out! (unless I'm last on the list, then it's the thought that counts I guess? :))

Just dropping by to say I've been accepted off the waitlist in my home province, so I will be removing myself from the OOP waitlist at Sask. Hopefully sometime during this miserable summer of waiting, this helps a few folks out! (unless I'm last on the list, then it's the thought that counts I guess? :))

Congrats!!!

Hi I am kind of confused now about the waitlist ranking. Is it just top third, middle third and bottom third only? Or is it like top first, middle first, bottom first and then top second, middle second and so on?

Top, middle, and bottom third for IP, no information for OOP.

Archived