Premed 101 Forums

Advice On Style On The Ward Or In The Clinic [Paging Dr. Renin]

About to start clerkship in a few weeks, and I was wondering what kind of styles are suitable for men and women?  Is there a difference if you are on the ward vs. being in a outpatient clinic?  What about during different rotations? [e.g. is it better to wear pink/purple for OB while wearing a darker, more classy colour for surgery/IM?]

How frequently can you wear slacks rather than dress pants (for men)?  Is a tie ever necessary? If you are on call, do you get to wear comfortable shoes, and how comfortable are we talking about :P

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Professional dress for your first day - if you're a dude and you want to impress, wear a tie on your first day. Who cares if you do on day 2 (unless your preceptor and your resident does, then sorry bro).

Colour doesn't matter. 

Dress to impress on your 1st day (see above note), so that means dress pants. The rest of the time, no one is gonna look, seriously. On call, we all wear scrubs, so wear yo scrubs. Unless your resident doesn't - then wear whatever your resident wears. Except if your resident is me, then you'd be wearing a dress.

Wear COMFORTABLE things on your feet. You're gonna be on them all day. No white runners. I'll hunt you down and smack you if you wear white runners, except if it's with scrubs. Then I will give you a pass. Not make a pass AT you.

Wear a belt. It's to hold your pager.

Also, get a man bag or use your med backpack. Do not use your gym bag. Or your duffle bag. Or your backpacking across europe backpack. Or a rolling suitcase. Or any combination of these weird things - I don't know how people think they can get away with it.

And put your cell phone on silent.

And floss your teeth. I hate it when people don't floss.

In general - clinic days are dressier, and days where you are doing things is more dressed down. Obs/gyn - wear shoes you don't mind if you never see them again, because you'll probably get things on those shoes you don't ever want to see again. Do not wear your good pants to obs/gyn either. I wore scrubs all obs/gyn.

And don't wear pink on your first day of obs/gyn. Please. That's just weird.

The smart ones wear ties on the first day of their rotation. Better to be over dressed than to be under dressed. Don't wear ones with donuts and other rubbish on them. You're there to be a doctor, not Homer Simpson.

Shoes. Comfortable. 

Also, get a man bag or use your med backpack. Do not use your gym bag. Or your duffle bag. Or your backpacking across europe backpack. Or a rolling suitcase. Or any combination of these weird things - I don't know how people think they can get away with it.

And put your cell phone on silent.

And floss your teeth. I hate it when people don't floss.

In general - clinic days are dressier, and days where you are doing things is more dressed down. Obs/gyn - wear shoes you don't mind if you never see them again, because you'll probably get things on those shoes you don't ever want to see again. Do not wear your good pants to obs/gyn either. I wore scrubs all obs/gyn.

And don't wear pink on your first day of obs/gyn. Please. That's just weird.

Wow. I usually just tell the med students: "Show up on time. Don't forget to wear pants".

You could wear scrubs and white coat pretty much in every rotation maybe except psych and peds. It surprises me how many medical professionals don't wear our uniform, the white coat.

Just because you CAN wear something doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD.

I think it's nicer to wear "real" clothes.  If I go to a doctor's office, I feel more comfortable if the doctor is dressed professionally rather than in scrubs.

I think its gross in the hospital setting. If we were serious about controlling infections in hospitals, we'd have adopted a system where everyone dealing with inpatients in the hospital wears scrubs, which are laundered by central laundry daily. Ties and white coats are among the worst things, unless they are laundered daily (or at the very least, multiple times per week). Outpatient clinics, family doc offices and things like psych/path/rads are a different story.

As a side note: I encourage any med students on service with my team to wear scrubs all the time. I don't want them getting pee/poop/vomit/pus on their nice clothes and then dragging that around the hospital all day. Plus, honestly, scrubs are awesome. It's like working in pajamas.

Yeah - I mean, I'm going into psych and as a patient, I see doctors on an outpatient basis, so I was thinking more of those settings.

Yeah... I guess it's different if you're going into the OR.

I think scrubs in clinic (unless you're going back and forth to the OR) is sloppy looking, but eh, that's just me.

I think its gross in the hospital setting. If we were serious about controlling infections in hospitals, we'd have adopted a system where everyone dealing with inpatients in the hospital wears scrubs, which are laundered by central laundry daily. Ties and white coats are among the worst things, unless they are laundered daily (or at the very least, multiple times per week). Outpatient clinics, family doc offices and things like psych/path/rads are a different story.

That's how it worked in Austria when I did an elective there. No outside clothes. And you were supposed to wear all white. White pants. White shoes. 

Fortunately I was in the OR exclusively and could wear scrubs. Not that I owned white shoes anyway. 

I agree that scrubs in clinic looks sloppy, but I did on neurosurgery a couple times as a clerk because I hadn't expected to be sent to clinic. Apparently neither did the staff because she was wearing scrubs too...

That's how it worked in Austria when I did an elective there. No outside clothes. And you were supposed to wear all white. White pants. White shoes. 

Fortunately I was in the OR exclusively and could wear scrubs. Not that I owned white shoes anyway. 

I agree that scrubs in clinic looks sloppy, but I did on neurosurgery a couple times as a clerk because I hadn't expected to be sent to clinic. Apparently neither did the staff because she was wearing scrubs too...

Well, if your staff wears scrubs that's okay. My staff sometimes wears a t-shirt and khaki's but I'm not going to do that :P

Maybe it's location dependent but at my school all surgical residents ware whitecoats, which they hang outside the OR. So if they go from OR to clinic they just put their white coat over their scrubs. I would like to believe the serious nature of our medical enterprise should be reflected by an austere attire.

The smart ones wear ties on the first day of their rotation. Better to be over dressed than to be under dressed. Don't wear ones with donuts and other rubbish on them. You're there to be a doctor, not Homer Simpson.

Shoes. Comfortable. 

To clarify, no suit jacket here, correct? I would assume that this is overkill. In some ways I'd prefer a white coat or suit jacket to hide my chunk :).

When your medical school states "dress professionally" or "business attire" does this mean in a suit? Business attire in the industry I'm coming from is very much not formal attire--it's simply fashionable if you're in a client-facing role.

To clarify, no suit jacket here, correct? I would assume that this is overkill. In some ways I'd prefer a white coat or suit jacket to hide my chunk :).

When your medical school states "dress professionally" or "business attire" does this mean in a suit? Business attire in the industry I'm coming from is very much not formal attire--it's simply fashionable if you're in a client-facing role.

No suit jacket needed. That's a bit much, unless you're just always a snazzy dresser or the blazer just makes your outfit. Professional and business attire doesn't mean suit. It just means dress nicely like you're a doctor seeing a patient. Nice shirt, dress pants/slacks, dress shoes, etc. Probably similar to whatever industry you're from.

No suit jacket needed. That's a bit much, unless you're just always a snazzy dresser or the blazer just makes your outfit. Professional and business attire doesn't mean suit. It just means dress nicely like you're a doctor seeing a patient. Nice shirt, dress pants/slacks, dress shoes, etc. Probably similar to whatever industry you're from.

Except if you used to be a used car salesman :)

Archived