Premed 101 Forums

Advice On Style On The Ward Or In The Clinic [Paging Dr. Renin]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any advices for a female clerk soon to be? Thank you :)

Tops - make sure you do the bend-over test, especially if you're going to be doing physical exams. Sleeveless is okay if the rest of you is covered up. Any cleavage is not okay. Sleeveless can be useful to regulate temperature, especially if you have to wear a white coat over it.

Bottoms - I don't wear pants, so someone else can say something about pants. If you're wearing a pencil skirt and you're on a code team ... make sure you can actually run. Actually, if you're on a code team, wear scrubs or whatever the rest of them wear. I had to run once in a pencil skirt, and yeah, that wasn't pretty. Flared skirts with pockets = my favorite. 

Accessories - belts are useful for hanging things like ID's and pagers. Dangly earrings can impact your auscultation with stethoscopes because they hit the metal piping on the stethoscope. I wear a simple watch, no bracelet. Keep fancy rings at home - you'll be washing your hands a lot. A lot of girls wear wedding bands and engagement rings, but I wouldn't wear anything beyond that. If you have a HUGE HONKING DIAMOND, get insurance. If you lose it, don't come crying to ol' renin.

Shoes - Sensible flats. I wear heels, and wedges, but depending on the situation I am in. Never more than 3". Gel inserts are your friends. Tights + boots in the winter are my go to.

Similar to above, except you can substitute skirt for slacks as you wish. Avoid club wear hidden under the white coat.

If you want to lose the respect of ol' renin fast, this is how you do it. And if you have to pull down your dress, it's TOO SHORT.

I wear a white undershirt or camisole under EVERYTHING just in case.  And especially under scrubs.  I don't know how they are at other hospitals, but the ones I had as a clerk were NOT appropriate if you had to bend over.  I was never a big camisole person before clerkship but now I am all over that.

I wear a white undershirt or camisole under EVERYTHING just in case.  And especially under scrubs.  I don't know how they are at other hospitals, but the ones I had as a clerk were NOT appropriate if you had to bend over.  I was never a big camisole person before clerkship but now I am all over that.

Dudes always be looking down my scrub top. Like come on. Give me a break.

Saw a different look recently:  oversized scrub top being worn like a short dress or tunic over a pair of yoga pants.

While it was kind of hot, it didn't really scream "medical professional".

Oh yes, while we are on this ... LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS. I don't get this. I've seen the tunic with tight leggings look on residents too. It's not professional at all.

Neither are yoga pants.

Yes, we know they are yoga pants.

Oh yes, while we are on this ... LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS. I don't get this. I've seen the tunic with tight leggings look on residents too. It's not professional at all.

Neither are yoga pants.

Yes, we know they are yoga pants.

Hmm I've always been okay with the long shirt/sweater/dress and leggings look as long as the following are met

1. Nice leggings (I have legging style dress pants from R W and Co) that are pant thickness and thus have no chance of being see through

2. Whatever you wear over it is mid thigh and thus has no chance of exposing one's legging clad rear end

3. It's winter and there are boots involved.

I can't find a decent picture but I don't think that's unprofessional. I feel like it's basically the same as tights but you can wear something slightly shorter over top (mid-lower thigh instead of knee length)

I mean, you have to read the room. If the men are wearing ties and then women always wear heels, probably not. If it's more of a "just don't wear jeans" kinda place (like lots of the family doc offices I've been in) then I think it's okay.

Edit: like this but a nicer (maybe a bit longer) sweater and nicer (less hooker-ish) boots, haha. It's the best I could find.

http://designvertigo.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/leggings211.jpg

Anything that's showing off any thigh in my book is not professional. Save that for after work or coffee or whatever.

ETA: Don't forget it's not just about covering up unprofessional "bits" - but it's also cultivating an image of someone who is professional that patients will feel comfortable to talk to. Would an elderly lady feel comfortable talking to someone who had tights-clad thighs? I'm not sure, that will be your call. I mean, I have patients who feel uncomfortable talking to me because I don't have a wedding ring, and there are certain flexibilities I will have with my patients.

At the end of the day, what you wear (as long as it covers a minimum amount) will probably not cause you trouble from your preceptors, but notice how your patient interactions change. Maybe you'll be more comfortable with a tie, maybe not. Maybe you'll be more comfortable with your hair in a ponytail instead of down. There's no rules for this. It's about you and the professional image you are trying to cultivate. What type of doctor do you want to be?

Anything that's showing off any thigh in my book is not professional. Save that for after work or coffee or whatever.

ETA: Don't forget it's not just about covering up unprofessional "bits" - but it's also cultivating an image of someone who is professional that patients will feel comfortable to talk to. Would an elderly lady feel comfortable talking to someone who had tights-clad thighs? I'm not sure, that will be your call. I mean, I have patients who feel uncomfortable talking to me because I don't have a wedding ring, and there are certain flexibilities I will have with my patients.

At the end of the day, what you wear (as long as it covers a minimum amount) will probably not cause you trouble from your preceptors, but notice how your patient interactions change. Maybe you'll be more comfortable with a tie, maybe not. Maybe you'll be more comfortable with your hair in a ponytail instead of down. There's no rules for this. It's about you and the professional image you are trying to cultivate. What type of doctor do you want to be?

You make good points. I just feel like the amount of leg in between the top and the boots is like 6 inches (I'm short, haha) and is not really all that different from dress pants (which, I will admit, I think most people wear far too tight).

I've been known to wear tunics/shorter dresses with leggings and boots.

I find that even at more professional women's clothing stores it is SO HARD to find things that 1) aren't too short or 2) don't have plunging necklines.

It's so hard to find knee length skirts for me, for some reason!  I did well at a BR sale this weekend, thankfully.

I just want a plain coloured knit top with no patterns or odd detailing that has sleeves, is relatively fitted, not see-through, and has a neckline that actually covers my chest, for a reasonable price.  Is that really so much to ask?

I just want a plain coloured knit top with no patterns or odd detailing that has sleeves, is relatively fitted, not see-through, and has a neckline that actually covers my chest, for a reasonable price.  Is that really so much to ask?

Yes. If you find this magical clothing item, let me know.

They are closing down Smart Set in Montreal oh no  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Thank you for the advices everyone  :)

I am more of a blazer, shirt and dress pants female future clerk  :)

I had an amazing off-white cowl neck one from I think Smart Set but it got too gross and I had to get rid of it.  I wish I'd bought seven.

Haha lord no.

I have seen some fascinating combinations of hospital issued top + non-hospital bottoms - it mystifies me.

Scrub top + cargo pants is the key.  Trauma shears, tape, gauze, gloves, cartoon bandaids for the kids, scrub cap, N95s, script pad, extra pens, wallet, cell-phone, maybe a couple of syringes of meds depending on the level of chaos that I'm dealing with, and occasionally lunch, all ready to go at a moment's notice.    It may not be fashionable, but it sure is functional.  ;)

Scrub top + cargo pants is the key.  Trauma shears, tape, gauze, gloves, cartoon bandaids for the kids, scrub cap, N95s, script pad, extra pens, wallet, cell-phone. maybe a couple of syringes of meds depending on the level of chaos that I'm dealing with, and occasionally lunch, all ready to go at a moment's notice.    It may not be fashionable, but it sure is functional.  ;)

I was just about to say that the only time I saw appropriate hospital top + non-hospital pants is when I was in the emerg. All those pockets in the cargo pants are key!

Yes. If you find this magical clothing item, let me know.

Hence the beauty of the white coat. A t-shirt works great underneath, and still looks professional with dress pants and shoes.

I noticed that some of the clerks (quite a few clerks) don't wear white coats in the hospitals? I think that in pediatrics, they discourage students to wear white coat  :P

Hence the beauty of the white coat. A t-shirt works great underneath, and still looks professional with dress pants and shoes.

Scrub top + cargo pants is the key.  Trauma shears, tape, gauze, gloves, cartoon bandaids for the kids, scrub cap, N95s, script pad, extra pens, wallet, cell-phone, maybe a couple of syringes of meds depending on the level of chaos that I'm dealing with, and occasionally lunch, all ready to go at a moment's notice.    It may not be fashionable, but it sure is functional.  ;)

These would all fit in the pockets of a white coat, plus stethoscope, blank admission and consult sheets.

Archived