Premed 101 Forums

Ontario Residency?

McMaster says to qualify for Ontario resident the applicant must have resided for at least 3 years in Ontario since age of 14. I lived in Guelph Ontario from age 8 to 14, and I'm wondering if there's ANY way I can contest residency? This policy seems kinda unfair to me since a friend of mine who lived in Quebec for 3 years when he was 5 years old is considered a Quebec resident for McGill. Since McMaster took only 8 OOP last year and 198 Ontario resident, the distinction matters a lot. Any suggestions to what I can do? Does the Ontario government have a different definition for resident that I could use to challenge?

Guys as an OOP is there even a point for me to apply? My GPA and MCAT are both below their avg (I have 3.6, 10 on VR). My EC are impressive and I think i have a solid Personal Statement, but McMaster doesn't even look at those things right? Even if I ace my CASPER 100% there's still not much of a shot considering those stats as an OOP is there

On 8/6/2015 at 12:46 PM, Purple Dolphin said:

Guys as an OOP is there even a point for me to apply? My GPA and MCAT are both below their avg (I have 3.6, 10 on VR). My EC are impressive and I think i have a solid Personal Statement, but McMaster doesn't even look at those things right? Even if I ace my CASPER 100% there's still not much of a shot considering those stats as an OOP is there

I have literally the exact same stats as you, also OOP, and I am thinking it will be a waste of time to even apply ): (I know an OOP last year with 4.0, 11VR and did not even get an interview). And it angers me when I see IP get in with 3.6 and 9VR lol

So it angers you, yet whatever province you from you have your own IP school that Ontarians can't apply to. It shouldn't because if you are from anywhere except Ontario you statistically have a much better deal than any of us get. I guess I do have some more sympathy if you lived for a longer time in Ontario and moved away at the age of 14, 15 or 16, but as long as you have IP status in one province you should be happy.

If you think of it on just a population basis, IP Ontario isn't that much better than OOP, just because Ontario has 13.6 million people for 1 true IP school and every other province has IP schools for populations of much less people.

There is also CASPer for that matter which could be the reason your OOP friend did not get an interview. Remember once you get an interview, your provincial status doesn't matter as well, so Mac isn't truly full IP either.

Mac may have only taken 8 OOP students but remember that a lot of OOP students don't end up choosing Mac esp if they get their IP school, they interview about 55 OOP students each year I believe, I would guess about half 25-30 are going to receive offers.

McMaster says to qualify for Ontario resident the applicant must have resided for at least 3 years in Ontario since age of 14. I lived in Guelph Ontario from age 8 to 14, and I'm wondering if there's ANY way I can contest residency? This policy seems kinda unfair to me since a friend of mine who lived in Quebec for 3 years when he was 5 years old is considered a Quebec resident for McGill. Since McMaster took only 8 OOP last year and 198 Ontario resident, the distinction matters a lot. Any suggestions to what I can do? Does the Ontario government have a different definition for resident that I could use to challenge?

Move back to Guelph for three years...  :huh:

I have literally the exact same stats as you, also OOP, and I am thinking it will be a waste of time to even apply ): (I know an OOP last year with 4.0, 11VR and did not even get an interview). And it angers me when I see IP get in with 3.6 and 9VR lol

Sample size of 1 means nothing as no stats guarantee an interview anywhere, so don't psych yourself out.

10VR is fine, but a 3.6 GPA is a sinker, for IP as well I believe

I'm lost for words as to why OP and others feel disadvantaged for not being considered an Ontario resident. The number 1 tip I've read for years on getting into a Canadian medical school is "Don't be born in Ontario". Additionally, Ontario is unique from other provinces in that it essentially gives no provincial preference to it's applicants unlike EVERY other province in Canada.Whichever province OP qualifies as in-province for will almost certainly be easier to get into than any school in Ontario. Just take a look at the entrance means for Ontario schools (typically around 3.9 and 30+) and compare them to other schools across the country (typically 3.6+ and 28+). As a somewhat extreme, yet entirely less dramatic and realistic scenario, I've heard numerous examples of students getting accepted to MUN with a 3.6 and MCAT of 22.....entirely different applicant field they're playing on.. 

I'm lost for words as to why OP and others feel disadvantaged for not being considered an Ontario resident. The number 1 tip I've read for years on getting into a Canadian medical school is "Don't be born in Ontario". Additionally, Ontario is unique from other provinces in that it essentially gives no provincial preference to it's applicants unlike EVERY other province in Canada.Whichever province OP qualifies as in-province for will almost certainly be easier to get into than any school in Ontario. Just take a look at the entrance means for Ontario schools (typically around 3.9 and 30+) and compare them to other schools across the country (typically 3.6+ and 28+). As a somewhat extreme, yet entirely less dramatic and realistic scenario, I've heard numerous examples of students getting accepted to MUN with a 3.6 and MCAT of 22.....entirely different applicant field they're playing on.. 

Exactly. This is why people are ready to move OUT of Ontario to other provinces for in-province status there. You never hear of people coming to Ontario for that purpose.

Exactly. This is why people are ready to move OUT of Ontario to other provinces for in-province status there. You never hear of people coming to Ontario for that purpose.

Not to mention that even those that have restrictions, i.e Mac, are some of the most flexible in Canada. Other schools require 2+ yrs of non-student residency immediately before application, or having nearly always lived in the province. 

I don't consider myself from ON, but I am according to Mac. And my home province

Yeah to clarify, my problem is I lived in the states for the last couple years of my life, so I wouldn't qualify for IP anywhere else. Ontario was my best bet. And I only got green card a day or so ago lol. So I'm kinda stuck in a not fully canadian not fully american sort of limbo. But thanks for the feedback folks. 

Yeah to clarify, my problem is I lived in the states for the last couple years of my life, so I wouldn't qualify for IP anywhere else. Ontario was my best bet. And I only got green card a day or so ago lol. So I'm kinda stuck in a not fully canadian not fully american sort of limbo. But thanks for the feedback folks. 

Oh I see, that kinda sucks to be honest. Well for applications next year your green card will help a great deal.

Archived