Premed 101 Forums

Hey everyone,

I am starting clerkship this year and I am interested in Radiology; however, I was wondering how a rotation works in radiology.

Are you always with an attending or resident watching them read or do they give you images to look at to review at the end of the day?  

What is the best way to prepare for a rotation in radiology? Simply review anatomy? Any good references for students that are must reads before the rotation?

How would a rotation in general radiology differ from a rotation in interventional? Would I have a better chance to expose myself in an interventional rotation as I would be with the attending more often? 

Thanks for the info! 

Hey everyone,

I am starting clerkship this year and I am interested in Radiology; however, I was wondering how a rotation works in radiology.

Are you always with an attending or resident watching them read or do they give you images to look at to review at the end of the day?  

What is the best way to prepare for a rotation in radiology? Simply review anatomy? Any good references for students that are must reads before the rotation?

How would a rotation in general radiology differ from a rotation in interventional? Would I have a better chance to expose myself in an interventional rotation as I would be with the attending more often? 

Thanks for the info! 

well as a rad resident I think I can answer this to a degree. you usually rotate around spending 1/2 a day at a time with one particular person. Usually you what them work, and if you are lucky they will actually ask you questions and teach you as you go along. Sometimes it is a little boring ha if they don't - like hugging the wall in the OR and just watching someone do an operation you understand nothing about.

Anatomy is of course key - often that is exactly what you will be quizzed on. Also though reading a basic rads text book, or using a basic rad website in advance is a good idea if you want to stand out.

you would be with staff more with interventional - but it is variable. If you want to be ready for CARMS it is probably better to do the diagnostic route as that is what you will spend most of your time on electives doing and that is what you have to be able to impress people with. Plus it seems that most people on the selection committees happen to be diagnostic rads

Pick a hospital that is known for providing students with teaching/learning opportunities. I just did one where, were I interested in matching to radiology, I would have had no way to stand out.

Perhaps it might be worthwhile to share so we can avoid it or at least tread with caution? 

Archived