Premed 101 Forums

Gpa/mcat Cutoffs

Hey guys, quick question about cutoffs for OOP. To apply the GPA cutoff is 78%, and the MCAT is something along the lines of a 508. I've read that the "actual" MCAT cutoff is going to be higher than the 508. Does this also mean that the GPA cutoff will also be higher than the one posted on the site? 

Note: If someone could also post last year's "actual" GPA and MCAT cutoffs, it'd be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Last year's "actual" OOP cutoffs were 83% and 34 VR11. If you're above the cutoff, you're guaranteed an invite. I have a feeling that the cutoffs will be similar this cycle because the AdComs were pretty stoked to fill all the OOP spots last cycle. No idea how the new MCAT score system works but if you're over 95th percentile I think your chances are pretty good.

Last year, invites came out on February 11th, so be patient and good luck! Rejections come out before Christmas break if you don't make the cutoffs I'm pretty sure.

Really? So they determine what the cutoffs are in december and let you know if you didn't make it?

I'm borderline for OOP  35 MCAT but 10VR, so it'll be nice to know if that's the case!

Oops, I should've clarified. Total score is more important, VR is just used to break the tie for two people with the same total score. I had a 36 VR10 and got an invite last year. Hope that helps. 35 VR 10 and 34 VR 11 would've gotten an invite last year too.

Gots the same MCAT score as you had last year, fingers crossed that the OOP cutoffs stay the same! Ahh.

Damn, alright.... I didn't realize it worked that way. Thanks for the encouraging words, friends :)

I'm sure you're fine with a 38! nice science score by the way

Thank you!

For the guy with the 38, I'm hoping you applied to Manitoba too

I did apply to Manitoba, but I'm far less confident about an interview there due to my GPA (3.65 OMSAS)

Damn, alright.... I didn't realize it worked that way. Thanks for the encouraging words, friends :)

Thank you!

I did apply to Manitoba, but I'm far less confident about an interview there due to my GPA (3.65 OMSAS)

1. Last cycle for OOP applicants to Saskatchewan, after interview the chance to get accepted for MCAT 38 and MCAT 34VR11 are the same, because after interview is 100% based on MMI scores, so if you didn't screw up your application (GPA, reference, etc) you almost 100% will get interview invitation, you should start to practice MMI.

2. For Manitoba, I knew one with OMSAS 3.71 get accepted last cycle as OOP, since last cycle OOP accepted aGPA are 4.3 to 4.5, so OMSAS 3.71 can convert to Manitoba's aGPA somewhere between 4.3 to 4.5 after dropping worst 10 courses. I think your chance for interview is 50% or more.

Based on last cycle, Your chance for interview at Saskatchewan is better than Manitoba.

But after interview, your chance accepted to Manitoba will be better than Saskatchewan.

Since Saskatchewan interviewed 140 OOP for 10 seats and 100% based on MMI.

Manitoba interviewed 25 OOP for 10 seats and only 45% on MMI.

Good luck.

1. Last cycle for OOP applicants to Saskatchewan, after interview the chance to get accepted for MCAT 38 and MCAT 34VR11 are the same, because after interview is 100% based on MMI scores, so if you didn't screw up your application (GPA, reference, etc) you almost 100% will get interview invitation, you should start to practice MMI.

2. For Manitoba, I knew one with OMSAS 3.71 get accepted last cycle as OOP, since last cycle OOP accepted aGPA are 4.3 to 4.5, so OMSAS 3.71 can converted to Manitoba's aGPA somewhere between 4.3 to 4.5 after dropping worst 10 courses. I think your chance for interview is 50% or more.

Based on last cycle, Your chance for interview at Saskatchewan is better than Manitoba.

But after interview, your chance accepted to Manitoba will be better than Saskatchewan.

Since Saskatchewan interviewed 140 OOP for 10 seats and 100% based on MMI.

Manitoba interviewed 25 OOP for 10 seats and only 45% on MMI.

Good luck.

Your breakdown was extremely helpful for me, thanks for taking the time to do that and thank you for the good luck wishes :) good luck to you too!

Your breakdown was extremely helpful for me, thanks for taking the time to do that and thank you for the good luck wishes :) good luck to you too!

To add to MD2B2019, in regards to manitoba, I interviewed (and got in) with a OMSAS 3.69 / 39.  So I don't know if that makes you feel any better, but hopefully!

Sorry to hijack the SK thread.

To add to MD2B2019, in regards to manitoba, I interviewed (and got in) with a OMSAS 3.69 / 39.  So I don't know if that makes you feel any better, but hopefully!

Sorry to hijack the SK thread.

Definitely does, thanks for letting me know :) congrats on your acceptance!!!

Archived