Premed 101 Forums

Invite To Interview Stats - Class Of 2020

All the people that did really well on the old MCAT are already in for the most part. 510 83rd percentile, but it is hard to say how that stacks up to the past as a single composite mcat score could have a range of operative scores. They talk about old and new mcat pools, but they aren't pools that they assigned a number of seats to each. They can't really use a z-score within each pool as the old mcat has the high scorers removed. They will have to decide on some method, maybe they could use the 2019 scores again this year.

Yes, but correlating approximately the percentile ranks, the average for old mcat is 10.09 probably equals to approximately 30-31, which is a 83 percentile. Also looking at the lowest scores, a 498 correlates to a 43 percentile, and from the old mcat, a 7.75 most likely equals to a 23-24, which is about the 43rd percentile. Of course these are just approximation. In either case never have I seen people from the 43rd percentile being given an interview at the university of Manitoba.

Also, there are other factors that come into play. For example, people with the old MCAT may contain people who have taken the MCAT multiple times, therefore causing the old MCAT scores to be inflated (since many people do better with rewrites), and you must also take into consideration people who may have written it in January (it was still the old MCAT) so it may have contributed people with high "old" mcat scores.

And the new MCAT means these people most likely only wrote it once, meaning that people applying from that pool most likely have a lower score, therefore making the average for the new MCAT to appear to be lower or less competitive since this means these people are "newbies" and may have had a more difficult time writing the MCAT for the first time.

Overall, I doubt they will simply take last years result to calculate a z-score, but I am sure the admissions committee came up with a method that does not give anybody any advantage. Their website mentions that they consulted with a statistician to ensure fairness for everybody and I am sure this statistician is able to figure all of this out.

So they invited more OOP this year? 35 versus 26?

They didn't invite 35 oop. From the table, it appears this is the number of rural OOP applicants whose files were reviewed.

It looks like they didn't release the number of OOP interviewed. I'd expect it to be similar or less than previous years, since they cut OOP spots to 5% of the class from 10%.

They didn't invite 35 oop. From the table, it appears this is the number of rural OOP applicants whose files were reviewed.

It looks like they didn't release the number of OOP interviewed. I'd expect it to be similar or less than previous years, since they cut OOP spots to 5% of the class from 10%.

Okay Thanks! looks like you've received many interviews!! congrats! what are your top 3 choices?

Yes, but correlating approximately the percentile ranks, the average for old mcat is 10.09 probably equals to approximately 30-31, which is a 83 percentile. Also looking at the lowest scores, a 498 correlates to a 43 percentile, and from the old mcat, a 7.75 most likely equals to a 23-24, which is about the 43rd percentile. Of course these are just approximation. In either case never have I seen people from the 43rd percentile being given an interview at the university of Manitoba.

Also, there are other factors that come into play. For example, people with the old MCAT may contain people who have taken the MCAT multiple times, therefore causing the old MCAT scores to be inflated (since many people do better with rewrites), and you must also take into consideration people who may have written it in January (it was still the old MCAT) so it may have contributed people with high "old" mcat scores.

And the new MCAT means these people most likely only wrote it once, meaning that people applying from that pool most likely have a lower score, therefore making the average for the new MCAT to appear to be lower or less competitive since this means these people are "newbies" and may have had a more difficult time writing the MCAT for the first time.

Overall, I doubt they will simply take last years result to calculate a z-score, but I am sure the admissions committee came up with a method that does not give anybody any advantage. Their website mentions that they consulted with a statistician to ensure fairness for everybody and I am sure this statistician is able to figure all of this out.

I get what you're saying, but if this is true, I feel like the lowest MCAT invited wouldn't be a 7.75. I think the pool is just less competitive this year.

I get what you're saying, but if this is true, I feel like the lowest MCAT invited wouldn't be a 7.75. I think the pool is just less competitive this year.

I definitely agree that it is less competitive, there are so many factors at play. Simply stating that all the high "old" mcat scorers have been accepted which is what caused the low average for the "old" mcat score would in no way cause somebody with a 7.75 to get offered an interview.

And attempting to correlate the percentile definitely shows similar results for the new mcat.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same here.. bother applying with a 32? 10.625 operative score. Converted grades probably around 4.2-4.3

Are you OOP? If so, don't apply, you need at least 11 as an operative score to be considered, they just don't have a cutoff for the new MCAT since they had no idea what it would be for this year

10.88 was the lowest for OOP to receive an interview this year.

I guess they must have changed that this year since things were harder to compare with the new MCAT. This year was an extreme exception since OOP minimum MCAT is usually around 12.0. Even the applicant bulletin says:

However, the Admissions Committee discourages individuals from applying who have an AGPA lower than 3.94 and an operative MCAT® score lower than 10.75 for tests written prior to 2015. If you fall into one or both of these categories, you have a low chance of receiving an invitation to an interview.

Archived