Premed 101 Forums

How To Tell Your Employer You Will Be Quitting Your Job For Med School?

Don't waste them. Don't waste your time.

Seriously.

Perfect thing for me to read today.  I gave in my notice today and am going to take the summer to do some travelling (dive in Bali and the GBR and cross those off my bucket list).  Totally agree that this is one of the few times we will have for extended travel - gotta take advantage!

• 2 weeks later...

This post is still quite relevant for me! Less than 3 months until school starts, and my neither my wife nor I have officially quit our jobs. I'm obviously leaving no matter what, but will probably be working right until early August (tentatively leaving as of the long weekend). The biggest wrench in our plan is that my wife's organization is now under new management, and they're potentially offering significant buy-out package to employees that want to leave. If she's eligible it'll be approximately 8 months worth of salary. If she quits early she gets nothing.

The problem is they likely won't decide until sometime late summer whether she'll get the money. It's definitely worth waiting over, but we can't go through the steps of selling our house and moving down to Hamilton until she knows.

So I might be sleeping on someone's couch for a little while if it's not sorted before Aug 29th :)

My opinion - just me - but if you stay there you are wasting your time, and time is life. You want to pour more time into the volunteer stuff I get it. Working a sales job not so much. I bet if you ask any resident like me who is now fully 7 years in to that 10 year cycle (ha, at least) would say the same thing.

Go live your life.

Tick Tock.

Quoted for truth. 

I'm finally finishing my training and moving into a staff job.  The hospital *really* wanted me to start in July.  I countered with a September start, so that I can have my first summer off since the summer of 2007.   That decision will easily cost me at least $50,000, which should give you an idea of how much value I place on having a large block of uninterrupted free time.

Don't pee away one of the last large blocks of time that you'll have for the next decade by working at some dumb sales job. 

Quoted for truth. 

I'm finally finishing my training and moving into a staff job.  The hospital *really* wanted me to start in July.  I countered with a September start, so that I can have my first summer off since the summer of 2007.   That decision will easily cost me at least $50,000, which should give you an idea of how much value I place on having a large block of uninterrupted free time.

Don't pee away one of the last large blocks of time that you'll have for the next decade by working at some dumb sales job. 

lol. this made me laugh pretty hard actually accidentally while at said "dumb sales job." But I was alone in my office so it was OK. lol. Thanks rmorelan and ploughboy and everyone else for your advice...with the stupid hiccup with my LOC (read more: http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/90872-has-anyone-had-loc-be-declined), I am going to have to wait a tad more to give notice...but I hope I can give it by the third week of June so I can be off by the second week of July, then I'd still have a good month and some before orientation. If the LOC had been approved as I thought it would be, without this appeals process now, I would have given notice early next week. Oh well!

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly day-dream about the day I get my acceptance letter and how I will leave. It is one of the main reasons why I'm just putting my head down. I really hope that I don't mature enough to be above gloating. The day I get my acceptance letter is going to be a bad day for many people.

I'm only starting my undergrad in September, but if I can say one thing, it is this: working in the real world with no post secondary education, and coming from an immigrant family with no connections, I am going to work my fingers to the bone to ensure that I never have to work another blue collar, near minimum wage job again.

• 1 month later...

I just felt like writing here as I am really not having a fun time working out my notice and just wanted to vent. Since I gave my resignation, things have been really awkward...when I handed my letter to my boss, they didn't even say congrats or anything...just kept a pretty hard jaw and basically was like "OK." Maybe I shouldn't have expected any salutations, like good luck, my best, or congrats etc...but I am definitely the kind of person that would, so it just....ugh.. also I don't think anyone else knows as no one's said anything. I dunno, it's the first time I've ever had to resign (vs a contract ending etc)...so...I guess I didn't know what to expect. Well, at least I can look forward to some me-time soon.

I just felt like writing here as I am really not having a fun time working out my notice and just wanted to vent. Since I gave my resignation, things have been really awkward...when I handed my letter to my boss, they didn't even say congrats or anything...just kept a pretty hard jaw and basically was like "OK." Maybe I shouldn't have expected any salutations, like good luck, my best, or congrats etc...but I am definitely the kind of person that would, so it just....ugh.. also I don't think anyone else knows as no one's said anything. I dunno, it's the first time I've ever had to resign (vs a contract ending etc)...so...I guess I didn't know what to expect. Well, at least I can look forward to some me-time soon.

Sorry that is happening to you. I was on pins and needles before I stepped into their office and told them. I don't think you should take it too hard or personally. I wish your boss could react differently (and I think professionally) but such is life. They are probably concerned about finding you a replacement, so if you can, help with finding one, but know that it's not your fault/responsibility. I think it's better if your boss makes the announcement, but since they are not doing that, I would start spreading the word that you are leaving to avoid ill feelings when you do leave suddenly (to everyone else) one day.

When one door closes, the other opens. Congratulations on the next chapter of your life! Let's enjoy the last of our guilt free summers lol

Sorry that is happening to you. I was on pins and needles before I stepped into their office and told them. I don't think you should take it too hard or personally. I wish your boss could react differently (and I think professionally) but such is life. They are probably concerned about finding you a replacement, so if you can, help with finding one, but know that it's not your fault/responsibility. I think it's better if your boss makes the announcement, but since they are not doing that, I would start spreading the word that you are leaving to avoid ill feelings when you do leave suddenly (to everyone else) one day.

When one door closes, the other opens. Congratulations on the next chapter of your life! Let's enjoy the last of our guilt free summers lol

Thanks so much for your empathy. Unprofessional yes, for sure.

They aren't worried about finding a replacement tho...relatively new, plus I'm not permanent....and they hadn't been treating me well anyway before this. But it just got kind of worse. You think they muster up enough to just be respectful and courteous. My boss did make the announcement...finally...and no one said a word and most looked away from me at the staff meeting...after like a full minute of silence....one person said congrats....no one else followed...it was like awful...but anyway...the worst is hopefully over now and things will be a bit better.

Yes, onwards!! I closed this door on purpose and on my terms so at least that was nice. Super excited for the next chapter.

It is sad how everybody lives in their own bubble and that is the entire focus of their life. Your employer does not consider for a moment how happy he is that you are improving your life, rather his entire energy relates to the inconvenience of find your next replacement. And most coworkers are not happy for you, deep down, they may be jealous. But in the big picture of your life, who really cares, you are going to a better place and need never look back. BTW, you received excellent advice here regarding the preciousness of time from now forward. The most time I get off is a week here and there as a resident, and I treasure this time.

It is sad how everybody lives in their own bubble and that is the entire focus of their life. Your employer does not consider for a moment how happy he is that you are improving your life, rather his entire energy relates to the inconvenience of find your next replacement. And most coworkers are not happy for you, deep down, they may be jealous. But in the big picture of your life, who really cares, you are going to a better place and need never look back. BTW, you received excellent advice here regarding the preciousness of time from now forward. The most time I get off is a week here and there as a resident, and I treasure this time.

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to me. It means a lot to me right now when anyone posts on here because I'm feeling very disheartened. I guess it makes me sad. I am trying really hard not to be. But I can't understand why others behave this way, I just never could.

I really don't think they are worried about replacement...without going into too much detail, my position essentially won't exist anymore when I leave so the replacement question isn't an issue. So if it's not a question of being annoyed in finding a replacement, then what is it??? Why would they be jelous if they didn't want to do this with their life? It's not even the same as a jilted pre-med, which I could almost understand *but not to OK that kind of behaviour because it's never OK)

Done in a few days, planning a road trip with my besties right after and then another trip with my mom and sis, and then to school it is... it's going to be awesome! i take it to heart that this time matters. Thanks for the reminder. 

Archived