Premed 101 Forums

Is A Gpa Of 79% Even Worth Applying?

Hi everyone,

I'm considering applying to med school this year, I'm from BC but I'll be applying across Canada and to several US schools (to the ones that I meet their minimum GPA requirement).

I hear AMCAS scales your grades (80% = 4.0) so I feel that I might have a chance? 

I've been a student for 7 years with an upward trend in my grades (last year grades GPA = 95% full course load).

Do I have a chance assuming my MCAT score is competitive (will be taking this summer) and I have decent/average ECs?

Hi everyone,

I'm considering applying to med school this year, I'm from BC but I'll be applying across Canada and to several US schools (to the ones that I meet their minimum GPA requirement).

I hear AMCAS scales your grades (80% = 4.0) so I feel that I might have a chance? 

I've been a student for 7 years with an upward trend in my grades (last year grades GPA = 95% full course load).

Do I have a chance assuming my MCAT score is competitive (will be taking this summer) and I have decent/average ECs?

80%= 4.0 only works for students who did undergrad at western and a few other ontario schools, not UBC.

For UBC your letter grades will simply convert via the 4.0 conversion A/A+=4.0, B+= 3.7 and so on and so forth in 0.3 increments.

As for applying to schools outside of UBC, it will depend on what the most recent years trend has been for GPA. Unless you got 3.8+ in 2 full-time years....and a killer MCAT, i wouldn't bother.

You have to have the MCAT first before any advice would be useful. IF you do score well AND have 2 years of 3.8+, then by all means you stand a fair chance as anyone else. IF you score really well on CARS, then sure go and apply to Mac. 

Otherwise not much else chance in Canada if you don't meet those two conditions.

AMCAS, again, upward trends will matter and a super strong MCAT score. Otherwise not much luck.

devil is always in the details - a break down by year can help, does UofT policy apply, were all those years UG years, what was your mcat score......

As for applying to schools outside of UBC, it will depend on what the most recent years trend has been for GPA. Unless you got 3.8+ in 2 full-time years....and a killer MCAT, i wouldn't bother.

You have to have the MCAT first before any advice would be useful. IF you do score well AND have 2 years of 3.8+, then by all means you stand a fair chance as anyone else. IF you score really well on CARS, then sure go and apply to Mac. 

Otherwise not much else chance in Canada if you don't meet those two conditions.

AMCAS, again, upward trends will matter and a super strong MCAT score. Otherwise not much luck.

Thanks, here is the breakdown of my grades over the past 7 years. I have not taken the MCAT but I am taking it this summer, what kind of score do you need to be considered a "strong" MCAT score?

Year 1: 78%

Year 2: 73%

Year 3: 86%

Year 4: 78%

Year 5: 78%

Year 6: 79%

Year 7: 88%

Thanks, here is the breakdown of my grades over the past 7 years. I have not taken the MCAT but I am taking it this summer, what kind of score do you need to be considered a "strong" MCAT score?

Year 1: 78%

Year 2: 73%

Year 3: 86%

Year 4: 78%

Year 5: 78%

Year 6: 79%

Year 7: 88%

Are all of those years full course load?

I think western looks at best two years...so maybe your year 3 and year 7 would make the cut for western. If you of course destroy the MCAT.

So western may be a possibility. And Mac as well if again you destroy CARS.

Other than that, I can't think of any other canadian schools you have a chance at outside of UBC(must have strong non academics to compensate). Again, if you absolutely destroy the MCAT..

Otherwise your next bet are USDO programs, you still need to do well on the MCAT but less pressure on desroying it for 99.9 Percentile.

If you did destroy it and got super high on the MCAT then USMD could be on the table, assuming you also have strong non academics

• 2 weeks later...

Are all of those years full course load?

I think western looks at best two years...so maybe your year 3 and year 7 would make the cut for western. If you of course destroy the MCAT.

So western may be a possibility. And Mac as well if again you destroy CARS.

Other than that, I can't think of any other canadian schools you have a chance at outside of UBC(must have strong non academics to compensate). Again, if you absolutely destroy the MCAT..

Otherwise your next bet are USDO programs, you still need to do well on the MCAT but less pressure on desroying it for 99.9 Percentile.

If you did destroy it and got super high on the MCAT then USMD could be on the table, assuming you also have strong non academics

Thank you. Yes all of those years are full courseloads. I have been considering Mac as well but I have not thought about western.

I have a lot of health-related ECs to compensate as well as an upcoming pharmacy degree. 

Any recommendations if I should take a second degree to boost up my GPA or will it not be worth it?

I have not thought about USDO programs... I will look into it. Are they easier to get accepted to?

Thank you for your input, comments, and suggestions!

Thank you. Yes all of those years are full courseloads. I have been considering Mac as well but I have not thought about western.

I have a lot of health-related ECs to compensate as well as an upcoming pharmacy degree.

Any recommendations if I should take a second degree to boost up my GPA or will it not be worth it?

I have not thought about USDO programs... I will look into it. Are they easier to get accepted to?

Thank you for your input, comments, and suggestions!

Check western's full course load requirements. They are pretty specific about the courseload

Check western's full course load requirements. They are pretty specific about the courseload

Thanks. I checked their course requirements and it seems I do fit the criteria (30 credit hours = 5 courses). However, it seems that they only take the best 2 years if you have 2 undergraduate degrees? It seems the "minimum GPA" is also calculated on the 2 best years in general. Is that the GPA that is used in the application process? Or eligibility?

Any thoughts on Mac's CARS section? Also USDO programs?

Thanks. I checked their course requirements and it seems I do fit the criteria (30 credit hours = 5 courses). However, it seems that they only take the best 2 years if you have 2 undergraduate degrees? It seems the "minimum GPA" is also calculated on the 2 best years in general. Is that the GPA that is used in the application process? Or eligibility?

Any thoughts on Mac's CARS section? Also USDO programs?

Western will look at your best 2 years for GPA considerations to make the interview. You don't need to have 2 degrees to do this.

Perhaps I misread you, but if you are applying to Ontario, you will need to convert all your grades (percentages) to GPA on the OMSAS scale and then take the average.

Oh I totally missed that. I'm assuming the big gap between the 3.3 and 3.7 for OMSAS will probably scale my averages down then, more towards a 3.3ish OMSAS GPA but I will do the conversion when I am free and get back to you guys.

Thank you for being so helpful!

Archived