Premed 101 Forums

Hospital In Japan Gives Prospective Surgeons Difficult Tryout Tests In Order To Get Selected

CC36

Saw this video online today and thought it was interesting. I'm not even sure if its real or not but it does put forth an interesting idea. Having try outs for surgeons by having them complete certain tasks to see who possesses the required skills. I think this would be interesting if they made potential surgery residents do this in an effort to find those who possess the required manual dexterity skills before they undertake X amount of years doing residency. What are your thoughts? Do you think something like this would ever happen in Canada?

Click Here

Looks interesting, but I don't know if this really would be useful. I mean, surgical residents gain all/most of the manual dexterity they need throughout their residency. Sure, some people are naturals, but others can be trained to be competent.

Plus, from what I read, simulations are only useful to a certain point. The stress of being in an OR + operating on a real live human has something about it that cannot be felt from simulations/manual dexterity tests. Basically, I believe that innate dexterity should not be a prerequisite, as people are quite trainable. 

Looks interesting, but I don't know if this really would be useful. I mean, surgical residents gain all/most of the manual dexterity they need throughout their residency. Sure, some people are naturals, but others can be trained to be competent.

Plus, from what I read, simulations are only useful to a certain point. The stress of being in an OR + operating on a real live human has something about it that cannot be felt from simulations/manual dexterity tests. Basically, I believe that innate dexterity should not be a prerequisite, as people are quite trainable. 

seems to me from talk to surg residents the dexterity is the least difficult part of things. Ha, still just like there they need some way to reduce the number of applicants.

seems to me from talk to surg residents the dexterity is the least difficult part of things. Ha, still just like there they need some way to reduce the number of applicants.

But they may be sacrificing other more important (from our perspective) factors that make a good surgeon.

But they may be sacrificing other more important (from our perspective) factors that make a good surgeon.

of course - that is always the problem with any non-holistic system.

In this case though all the applicants were medical students - that particularly in Japan already means they have a bunch of other things they are looking for.

Archived