Premed 101 Forums

Email Professor For A Grade Bump

coolfajitas

Hello! 

I've gotten my final exam mark back that was all multiple choice and I didn't do as well as I hoped. I calculated what my final grade in the course would be and it's a 78.99. I'm not in the city of my university anymore so I can't go to see my professor in person but I would like to email her to ask if it would be possible to bump my grade to an 80. 

I've never asked a professor for bumping up my grade before so I have no idea how I should approach it. Is there a 'better' way to ask to increase the chances of her agreeing to do it (how I should word it)? I assume it depends if she's 'nice' or not, but it's hard to say. I've never gone up to talk to her before so it's not like she knows me in person either :( 

I would really appreciate any advice or tips.

Hi friend,

Unless you think there was some kind of mistake, I think you should gracefully take the grade.

If you choose to continue, I would ask to see the exam to contest for marks that you should've been awarded. I believe this can only be done in person. Simply asking for 1.01% is inappropriate.

Good luck!

You are an unknown, totally random student who, for no good reason, is asking the prof to have an ethical breach in treating you differently from all others who took the same exam and might like a better grade too. If I were her, based upon the facts known to me, I wouldn't even reply. InstantRamen's post makes sense.

Hello! 

I've gotten my final exam mark back that was all multiple choice and I didn't do as well as I hoped. I calculated what my final grade in the course would be and it's a 78.99. I'm not in the city of my university anymore so I can't go to see my professor in person but I would like to email her to ask if it would be possible to bump my grade to an 80. 

I've never asked a professor for bumping up my grade before so I have no idea how I should approach it. Is there a 'better' way to ask to increase the chances of her agreeing to do it (how I should word it)? I assume it depends if she's 'nice' or not, but it's hard to say. I've never gone up to talk to her before so it's not like she knows me in person either :(

I would really appreciate any advice or tips.

Objectively, there is simply no good reason the prof should give you a bump. Sorry, but I don't think it's appropriate to email your prof expecting a bump.

Maybe the curve will save you. 

But if not I'm with everyone else: poor form.

It's not the end of the world; I got a "C" in 1st year physics and I just matched to a competitive surgical residency (not looking for accolades, just trying to let you know everything will be OK). Best of luck!

The only reason I want the bump is because it would change my letter grade :/ But yeah I understand what you are all saying... I would definitely want to see my exam in person but it's just not possible since I'm out of town now. 

That's my point. If professors did this for every student who got 1 point below the cutoff for 5 point letter grade intervals...1/5 grades in ALL classes would be bumped up a grade.

Statistically, ~20% of all grades are like this. That's life. We ALL had lots of grades within 1%, but with 5% intervals, that's the normal, not a special case for you

Archived