Premed 101 Forums

May 13 Support/q+A Thread

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know what happens when you're on the waitlist in the middle third? Are you rejected based off previous stats?

Sometimes reaches the middle third but rarely every reaches the bottom third. It all depends on the year and how many people reject offers.

What's the waitlist movement like for OOP? From the email sent out looks like 61 people are in consideration this year...I'm guessing most of the people on the waitlist will get off?? I'd love for someone to shed light on this!

What's the waitlist movement like for OOP? From the email sent out looks like 61 people are in consideration this year...I'm guessing most of the people on the waitlist will get off?? I'd love for someone to shed light on this!

Usually there is a lot of movement on OOP waitlist except last year there was very little movement. So I think it depends on the year.

Barry said last year only got to 30 but the year before cleared the whole list so it really varies. I think your odds are way better this year because the mcat cut offs are higher so people are more likely to get into other schools. Good luck everybody! If you look on the accepted wait listed rejected thread it looks people are already starting to pull themselves off the wait list so expect a good amount of movement in 2 weeks.

Hi guys

This is my 1st post.

IP

Waitlisted

GPA 83%

MCAT: Met the cutoff

I know that I did very well in the MMI due to my previous experience in medicine from my home country.

Congratulations from my heart to all who got accepted.

After the MMI, Dr Ziola said that the top third was got accepted in the past 10 years. But notice that in the past years, the wait list were 30 in three sections. This year, the wait list is 45 over the three sections.

After the MMI, Dr Ziola said that the top third was got accepted in the past 10 years. But notice that in the past years, the wait list were 30 in three sections. This year, the wait list is 45 over the three sections.

That's a good point you bring up. I wonder why they switched to 45? 

That's a good point you bring up. I wonder why they switched to 45? 

From what i have heard last year they had 30 on the waiting list, and all 30 were selected. They ran out of people in province and ended up selecting out of province for in province seats (2 seats i think). They don't want to run into the problem of waitlist being too short again so i'm guessing they extended it.

I'm in the middle third in the 45 scale so, 15-30. On the old scale that would be deep into the waitlist, which is not good. Here's to hoping the amount of declines are similar to last years. 

From what i have heard last year they had 30 on the waiting list, and all 30 were selected. They ran out of people in province and ended up selecting out of province for in province seats (2 seats i think). They don't want to run into the problem of waitlist being too short again so i'm guessing they extended it.

I'm in the middle third in the 45 scale so, 15-30. On the old scale that would be deep into the waitlist, which is not good. Here's to hoping the amount of declines are similar to last years. 

I would hazard the following:

1. Similar decline numbers as last year than previous years since more applicants may have applied to more than one school (due to BSc and MCAT requirements) especially those with averages greater than 85% and decent MCAT scores

2. Movement could be similar. Although there are more Equity candidates interviewed than last year, they may or may not end up taking up all 10 seats. So there may be some seats left from equity quota (including OOP). And the fact that all 10 seats were available to IP last year should not change the dynamics that much since all successful equity candidates (5) got in through the SK pool. 

i.e. Available seats to IP last year = 90.  so out of 88 accepted there were 5 equity + 3 deferred from previous year. IP accepted and confirmed from those successful would have been something like 80 out of 117 (remaining after interview). Hence at least 25 would have likely declined + 5 deferring to exhaust a wait list of 30...that's including 9 rejected on the grounds of professionalism (not sure if these were all IPs  - unlikely, since they could have been from all pools of candidates - IP, equity and OOP)

So for this year, assuming similar declines or more(unlikely but possible), that could be 75 minus (25(declining)+ 3 to 5 (deferring)) - including possible additional from OOP+Equiity, which makes a wait list of 45 reasonably justifiable (although overly too optimistic).

But again, these are all guesses and no one knows what the final numbers would be (not even COM). So roughly, I would imagine similar numbers. Therefore, don't give up hope too early if you are on the wait list. And time will reveal for sure

Does anyone have any info on how much movement there might be in terms of site selection? I threw out the post-interview paper...

I figure (but correct me if I'm wrong) that if they go 30 deep into the IP wait list again, the chance of getting switched to your preferred site might be pretty alright?

I don't have an exact number for you unfortunately, but I do know that there is some movement between sites. As an example, a former classmate of mine was accepted last year and initially assigned to Regina, but was later offered a seat in Saskatoon as it was his preferred location.

On 5/14/2016 at 12:45 PM, Scorbix said:

I don't have an exact number for you unfortunately, but I do know that there is some movement between sites. As an example, a former classmate of mine was accepted last year and initially assigned to Regina, but was later offered a seat in Saskatoon as it was his preferred location.

Didn't know that everyone on the wait list got accepted last year, so I guess the 45 makes sense now. I hope the declines is at least close to last year, although it's unlikely because it's more competitive this year and there were more IP applicants interviewed.

Archived