Premed 101 Forums

May 13 Support/q+A Thread

Thanks virgil.

Any idea how MMI is scored? out of how many etc. 50% sounds like a game changer for anyone

IP: 20% MCAT; 30% GPA; 50% MMI

OOP: 100% MMI

As for how exactly the MMI stations are scored, no one really knows for sure. It's usually kept confidential, having interview applicants for another program this spring myself.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IP: 20% MCAT; 30% GPA; 50% MMI

OOP: 100% MMI

As for how exactly the MMI stations are scored, no one really knows for sure. It's usually kept confidential, having interview applicants for another program this spring myself.

How do you guys think they will score the MCAT? by deciles?  

-------

4 Days! 

-------

4 Days! 

My guess

A. MCAT (20%) = 0.2*512 = 104.2 out of 105.6   or 20* (512/528) = 19.3 out of 20. These are all guesses.....

B. GPA (30%) = 0.3*85 = 25.5 out of 30 (likely)

C. MMI = No idea! Maybe 0.5* MMI Score out of 100 (if each station is out f 10)

Rank Score = A+B+C

Again these are all guesses..

MMI participants are ranked into deciles once all of the station scores are summarized. I believe each station you're given a number between 1-10 (or something like that), and then your overall scores leads to your decile rank. As to how that translates into a percent of your overall score I'm not entirely sure. Hopefully that answers your question.

My guess

A. MCAT (20%) = 0.2*512 = 104.2 out of 105.6   or 20* (512/528) = 19.3 out of 20. These are all guesses.....

B. GPA (30%) = 0.3*85 = 25.5 out of 30 (likely)

C. MMI = No idea! Maybe 0.5* MMI Score out of 100 (if each station is out f 10)

Rank Score = A+B+C

Again these are all guesses..

MCAT is what i'm not sure about, in regards to how they will evaluate it. 

Will they do 0.2 * (512/528) because if they simply divide it, that doesn't really differentiate a 500 MCAT score from a 512 that much as

0.2 * (512/528) =19.4

0.2 * (500/528) = 18.9

What do you guys think?

Will they do 0.2 * (512/528) because if they simply divide it, that doesn't really differentiate a 500 MCAT score from a 512 that much as

0.2 * (512/528) =19.4

0.2 * (500/528) = 18.9

What do you guys think?

Sounds reasonable to me. I will admit that really doesn't do much to distinguish a superb MCAT score from a very low MCAT, but then again the MCAT -- at least for IP applicants -- only counts for a small portion of your overall score. Historically it's been your MMI score that is the make or break for acceptances. All we can really do now is wait...fortunately I feel like I've now made my peace with the decisions one way or another. Doesn't discount my excitement, though!

0.2 * (512/528) =19.4

0.2 * (500/528) = 18.9

What do you guys think?

I think It would make more sense to use the percentiles of the scores.

So, 0.2 * (87) = 17.4 

0.2 * (50) = 10

This would also allow comparison between old and new MCAT which I think they use for this cycle (not sure though).

I think It would make more sense to use the percentiles of the scores.

So, 0.2 * (87) = 17.4 

0.2 * (50) = 10

This would also allow comparison between old and new MCAT which I think they use for this cycle (not sure though).

Sounds reasonable. In the document below, they envisaged converting old to new by multiplying by 1.3333 (with the expectation that new was going to be out of 60)

http://www.usask.ca/secretariat/governing-bodies/council/committee/academic_programs/reports2013-14/APC%20Decision%20Medicine%20MCAT%20January%202014.pdf

That being said, U of M seems to calculate the operative MCAT score using the formula on page 8. See http://www.umanitoba.ca/admissions/media/medicine_bulletin.pdf

They then determine composite score by multiplying operative score by the percentage contribution (Page 9). 

U of C's approach is somewhat different - using mean scores and SD from the mean. See Section 5.2 (page 21) of https://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/applicant-manual-2015-2016-for-website.pdf

Without knowing the approach adopted at given school, it might be hard to know the right formula

Sounds reasonable. In the document below, they envisaged converting old to new by multiplying by 1.3333 (with the expectation that new was going to be out of 60)

http://www.usask.ca/secretariat/governing-bodies/council/committee/academic_programs/reports2013-14/APC%20Decision%20Medicine%20MCAT%20January%202014.pdf

That being said, U of M seems to calculate the operative MCAT score using formula on page 8. See http://www.umanitoba.ca/admissions/media/medicine_bulletin.pdf

They then determine composite score by multiplying operative score by the percentage contribution (Page 9). 

U of C approaches it a little different. See Section 5.2 (page 21) of https://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/applicant-manual-2015-2016-for-website.pdf

Whoa, how did you stumble across that doc? Interesting paragraph on the discussion of minimum MCAT scores, which I haven't come across anywhere else. For anyone who doesn't want to read through it, they discuss having quite a low absolute cut-off of 20 (old) or what converts to about a 493 (new), with the rationale being that 1) it's included in calculating your rank anyways, so it still matters, and 2) they didn't want to reduce the already expectedly low applicant numbers any further. 

Interesting! 

Edit: There are some section minimums listed in that doc, but I'd caution against anyone reading them and freaking out. At this point we just don't know how things will shake out. Hold tight for a few more days :)

So I heard that someone got an acceptance letter already - does anyone know if they're sending out letters earlier?

Do you know if he/she is applying for an MD+PhD? Some schools seem to send out those acceptances earlier.

So I heard that someone got an acceptance letter already - does anyone know if they're sending out letters earlier?

Noooooo now I've started the constant email refresh early. Is this a confirmed source or a friend-of-a-friend kind of deal? I haven't heard of them doing acceptances in a scattered way before, but you never know.

As far as I am aware all acceptances/waitlist spots/rejections go out on the same day; can't say I've ever heard of an early acceptance. Was this "letter" via snail mail? I'm quite certain the UofS only ever communicates by email. In any case I'll be impatiently waiting until Friday! If this friend did genuinely receive an acceptance, then a very heartfelt congratulations to him/her!

Noooooo now I've started the constant email refresh early. Is this a confirmed source or a friend-of-a-friend kind of deal? I haven't heard of them doing acceptances in a scattered way before, but you never know.

Definitely friend of a friend type of thing and it's got me all confused haha well I'll just wait then and not worry!

Does anyone know what U of S acceptance/rejection email titles might look like?

I believe they're pretty generic regardless of acceptance/rejection. Something along the lines of "UofS Medicine Admissions".

Yeah that was the email title from my acceptance email a few years ago.

I feel for Manitoba. Apparently they don't even start emails 'til around the 18th, and even then they don't happen all at once. At least we're not Manitoba (she says, for the 1000th time in her life).

You know, as an older applicant I can appreciate that my happiness doesn't depend on this, but the 13th has just felt like this big looming thing for so long. One year ago almost exactly I was sitting at my desk at work, said *#$# it and booked an MCAT date. One year later, I'm looking forward to it being done with, one way or another. 

Good luck guys, two more days.

You know, as an older applicant I can appreciate that my happiness doesn't depend on this, but the 13th has just felt like this big looming thing for so long. One year ago almost exactly I was sitting at my desk at work, said *#$# it and booked an MCAT date. One year later, I'm looking forward to it being done with, one way or another.

Good luck guys, two more days.

I know what you mean! I actually hadn't intended on applying to Medicine this year until I saw my friend get his backpack this summer. I then went to his white coat ceremony with him and thought, "yup, I need to try again". My MCAT registration was very last minute and I actually had to drive to Calgary a week before final exams in September to write it. I did extremely poorly on it, but I somehow managed to get an interview and pass (felt like my best MMI yet - having done a few I my life).

If I'm not successful this cycle - which I do feel will be the case - I'll be finished my masters, be able to work in an ICU (yay!) for a year, and then apply again for one final time. It's just nice to be able to share in the final countdown excitement with a lot of people; but I'd love to be able to phone my grandma on Friday and tell her there's gonna be another doctor in the family.

I know what you mean! I actually hadn't intended on applying to Medicine this year until I saw my friend get his backpack this summer. I then went to his white coat ceremony with him and thought, "yup, I need to try again". My MCAT registration was very last minute and I actually had to drive to Calgary a week before final exams in September to write it. I did extremely poorly on it, but I somehow managed to get an interview and pass (felt like my best MMI yet - having done a few I my life).

If I'm not successful this cycle - which I do feel will be the case - I'll be finished my masters, be able to work in an ICU (yay!) for a year, and then apply again for one final time. It's just nice to be able to share in the final countdown excitement with a lot of people; but I'd love to be able to phone my grandma on Friday and tell her there's gonna be another doctor in the family.

Ha, I wonder if we wrote the MCAT together (also wrote in Calgary in Sept). 

And I know exactly how that feels. I'm pretty happy with my life as is, but this just feels really right somehow... in terms of timing, and that feeling of everything coming together. Anyways don't count yourself out just yet- rooting for you come Friday.

Archived