Premed 101 Forums

May 13 Support/q+A Thread

It seems like all the cool schools are doing it, so I thought I'd start one here. Feel free to post all of your generalized anxieties, unanswerable questions, wild speculations and the ups and downs of your journey.

Personally, I think my girlfriend is going to break up with me if I mention the wait one more time, so this will be my safe space.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well since I'm on this forum during my classes far too often I might as well contribute! The waiting post-interview is always the hardest part I find. This is my second time passing the interview and I'm really not wanting to have to interview for a third time.

May 13 my program/class is having a cabaret fundraiser, so I'll either be getting happy-drunk or sad-drunk. Either way drinks all around!

Edit: Also the backpack colours this year are all wonderful colours (except pink, which likely won't get picked anyway) so I'd love to get one!

Well since I'm on this forum during my classes far too often I might as well contribute! The waiting post-interview is always the hardest part I find. This is my second time passing the interview and I'm really not wanting to have to interview for a third time.

May 13 my program/class is having a cabaret fundraiser, so I'll either be getting happy-drunk or sad-drunk. Either way drinks all around!

Edit: Also the backpack colours this year are all wonderful colours (except pink, which likely won't get picked anyway) so I'd love to get one!

Hopefully this is your year! Did you interview last year as well?

Also, I see that Calgary's emails just went out. Those lucky *#&$ers. I guess it'll just be us and the U of A 'til the bitter end.

Hopefully this is your year! Did you interview last year as well?

Also, I see that Calgary's emails just went out. Those lucky *#&$ers. I guess it'll just be us and the U of A 'til the bitter end.

No, I didn't apply last year. Started a new program, etc etc.

Also Calgary y u do dis?!?? The U of S needs to do the same.

I heard from a few other people that all 3 were contacted for them. Only 2 have been contacted for me. 

9 days!

Congrats to those already contacted. What does it mean to be contacted?

1. Being considered to rule in or out? or 

2. Random process?

There seems to be different schools of thought on this topic. 

Congrats to those already contacted. What does it mean to be contacted?

1. Being considered to rule in or out? or 

2. Random process?

There seems to be different schools of thought on this topic.

As I recall from Dr. Ziola's comments post-interview (and from years past) the references are used STRICTLY as a RULE OUT factor; this means you are assumed to be fit for the program until suggested otherwise (such as poor references). As to how many references are contacted per applicant, I cannot say for sure. Logically, I would assume the fewer references contacted the better, but I don't want to plant a seed of doubt in anyone's mind, so I will restate that I am unsure in that regard!

To echo the above sentiments, it's likely that in some instances referees just weren't able to comment on some aspect of the applicant, or to answer some questions to the satisfaction of the interviewer. If that were me, I'd just call up the third referee to try to fill out my picture of who the applicant is.

Wouldn't stress about it.

NB- U of A results released this morning. 8 more days...

First U of C and now U of A releasing early? Would be lovely if the U of S followed suit!

Yup just makes the rest of us feel left out doesn't it? Does U of S have a specific day? I'm in ON and didn't apply to U of S or anything, I'm just sharing in the sucky sentiment that we are all just waiting....and waiting...my hope for acceptance is each day getting less and less, I just can't bear to think happy thoughts that are quickly followed by destructive ones. Especially because I've recently been speaking to some people who are multiple interviewees, amazing applicants in many ways, and still not getting on waitlist. Doesn't always seems fair, this process, but oh well.

Yup just makes the rest of us feel left out doesn't it? Does U of S have a specific day? I'm in ON and didn't apply to U of S or anything, I'm just sharing in the sucky sentiment that we are all just waiting....and waiting...my hope for acceptance is each day getting less and less, I just can't bear to think happy thoughts that are quickly followed by destructive ones. Especially because I've recently been speaking to some people who are multiple interviewees, amazing applicants in many ways, and still not getting on waitlist. Doesn't always seems fair, this process, but oh well.

Historically the U of S releases on May 15th (or the Friday closest to that date) - this year it seems likely the day will be May 13. Which, I mean, is nice for me because my class is having a cabaret so I'll be getting either happy drunk or sad drunk.

I'm already anticipating a rejection because it's less of a shock when the letters actually come out, but it would be a very welcomed - and long-time-coming - surprise if something else happened. Sure would love to be able to cancel my MCAT re-write date in August, though!

Always probably best to expect a rejection anyway, whenever I feel hope I try to squash it like a bug...actually seriously, I think I've been doing this subconsciously because I just don't like the feeling of having hope for it to work that way without the certainty in my hand.

Very stoic way of thinking to expect the worst but there is a big difference between hope and expectation. You'll be living a life of stress and fear if you have no hope. True you may be dissapointed if things don't work out, but that is a fundamental part of both the personal and the shared human experience that can not be avoided. Think of the doctor you'd want to have. Think of the doctor you'll want to be.

I have to say, as hard as it is to wait, I do appreciate the firm date set for offers. If we'd been given a vague 'sometime in early May' my nerves would be shot to hell by now. This constant, mild anxiety is maybe slightly preferable?

Have a good weekend everyone, the wait feels so much easier when you're having fun/keeping busy.

Don't count yourself out until May 15th. There was no way in HELL I expected to get in based on my MMI performance but the voodoo sacrifices pay off. Only one more week guys - you can do it!

Thanks virgil. 

Any idea how MMI is scored? out of how many etc. 50% sounds like a game changer for anyone

Any idea how MMI is scored? out of how many etc. 50% sounds like a game changer for anyone

I believe after the interviews the MMI will count towards 20% of your admissions. 30% is your GPA, and 50% is the MMI. Of course that's for IP. OP is 100% MMI (I think).

Glad that I'm not the only one feeling the stress and nerves! 

Archived