Premed 101 Forums

Best Rotations To Do During A Physical Recovery...

I'm due with my third child on November 7th, though I'll almost certainly be delivering at the end of October. My husband will be staying home with the baby.

Clerkship starts November 21st with a 4 week elective block. I'm planning to do a 'reading elective' for the first week, which is an option we have and something I can do from home, which takes me to about a month postpartum. I was considering looking into research-based electives for the remaining three weeks but dropping into research for just 3 weeks is likely to be difficult, so I was thinking of a quieter clinical elective. 

Obviously anything with significant call or super long days in hospital isn't going to work. I was considering something like public health, fertility clinic, or community FM but I'm wondering if others have suggestions of other electives that might work for that time. 

Appreciate any input. Thanks!

Community FM might not be the best fit - busy clinics, lots of up-and-down activity. It'd be preceptor-dependent, but I wouldn't count on long periods of sitting. It'd be better in many ways than a lot of other rotations, don't get me wrong (no call, reasonable hours, no long periods of standing), but perhaps not as easy on the body as you might think.

I'd second the Path/Rads/Rad Onc suggestions.

Community FM might not be the best fit - busy clinics, lots of up-and-down activity. It'd be preceptor-dependent, but I wouldn't count on long periods of sitting. It'd be better in many ways than a lot of other rotations, don't get me wrong (no call, reasonable hours, no long periods of standing), but perhaps not as easy on the body as you might think.

I'd second the Path/Rads/Rad Onc suggestions.

Yah, I saw patients 9-6 with no break today on family med, and only sat down in super brief chunks to chart in patient rooms. The rest of the computers are for use while standing.

Go with a sitting specialty for sure.

I seem to remember you being interested in family, EM, or OBGyn - if you think you might want to apply for either EM or OBGyn, it might be worth considering trying to find a research project you could work on for that three week block related to one of those fields - you might be able to do a small research project during that time, and it would help your CaRMS app to have related research. You also might be able to get a reference letter from your research supervisor if you stay in touch with them, which is always good. Also, a research elective would likely be the least physically demanding on you, and working from home would mean more time with your new baby! Alternatively, maybe a fertility or reproductive endocrinology elective? But I haven't done one and have no idea what sort of physical demands that would have. 

I seem to remember you being interested in family, EM, or OBGyn - if you think you might want to apply for either EM or OBGyn, it might be worth considering trying to find a research project you could work on for that three week block related to one of those fields - you might be able to do a small research project during that time, and it would help your CaRMS app to have related research. You also might be able to get a reference letter from your research supervisor if you stay in touch with them, which is always good. Also, a research elective would likely be the least physically demanding on you, and working from home would mean more time with your new baby! Alternatively, maybe a fertility or reproductive endocrinology elective? But I haven't done one and have no idea what sort of physical demands that would have. 

I was thinking of RE given my interest in OB/Gyn and fertility in particular. I know at my RE's office he spends most of the day sitting, except when he's doing procedures (and even then, he's usually on a stool) and I don't expect that'd be terribly taxing. Thing is, the RE in Hamilton who does electives for Mac students is the doctor I was seeing until just recently. He's fantastic, but I'm not sure if that'd be so recent that it'd be awkward to have me as a student... There's another clinic in Burlington, but I doubt I'll be driving at 4 weeks PP and so it'd be rather taxing on my husband to have to drive me to Burlington and back every day. 

Research would be awesome, but - and I realize this may sound a bit dim - how does one get a short research elective? I have no idea where to even start asking about that sort of thing which is why I started more heavily considering clinical electives. There's nothing in the electives contacts, and I don't know anyone involved in research myself to ask. 

I was thinking of RE given my interest in OB/Gyn and fertility in particular. I know at my RE's office he spends most of the day sitting, except when he's doing procedures (and even then, he's usually on a stool) and I don't expect that'd be terribly taxing. Thing is, the RE in Hamilton who does electives for Mac students is the doctor I was seeing until just recently. He's fantastic, but I'm not sure if that'd be so recent that it'd be awkward to have me as a student... There's another clinic in Burlington, but I doubt I'll be driving at 4 weeks PP and so it'd be rather taxing on my husband to have to drive me to Burlington and back every day. 

Research would be awesome, but - and I realize this may sound a bit dim - how does one get a short research elective? I have no idea where to even start asking about that sort of thing which is why I started more heavily considering clinical electives. There's nothing in the electives contacts, and I don't know anyone involved in research myself to ask. 

I haven't personally done a research elective (but know of quite a few people who were able to find short ones), but I'd suggest maybe getting in touch with Doreen to see if she has any suggestions, or post in your class facebook group for suggestions? There are a lot of 2017s and 2016s in your class group, so someone with more personal experience than I have might be able to chime in. :)

Archived