Premed 101 Forums

Less Favored?

biochem4

Bro it's 100% true. I was talking to an upper year med student at UofT who used to be involved with the admissions process and they told me point blank that they add or subtract points from an applicant's score depending on what school they attended. Honestly you have ZERO chance and should NEVER apply to medical school in Canada. Don't even THINK about UofT LOL!! 

On the brightside though, you can at least apply to the Caribbean or the Atlantic Bridge program where they don't discriminate based on the school you attended. Maybe consider Australia.

Bro it's 100% true. I was talking to an upper year med student at UofT who used to be involved with the admissions process and they told me point blank that they add or subtract points from an applicant's score depending on what school they attended. Honestly you have ZERO chance and should NEVER apply to medical school in Canada. Don't even THINK about UofT LOL!! 

On the brightside though, you can at least apply to the Caribbean or the Atlantic Bridge program where they don't discriminate based on the school you attended. Maybe consider Australia.

i am alarmed about this post.........

I think it was a joke lol, lighten up people everything will be okay :).

ha, sarcasm doesn't exactly translate well on the internet :)

medical schools don't favour particular undergraduate schools over others by policy. Doesn't seem to stop endless rumours floating around about it. 

The strange thing is the rumours are contradictory - on one had you have all these people complaining our say Mac Health Science as being a program that is so easy to get great grades in that it is unfair - supposedly widely known fact, and on the other hand from time to time you have people claiming that other schools are considered less worthly because they are somehow easier schools. 

That doesn't make sense - if they were degrading schools somehow because they were known to be easier, wouldn't then say Mac again be the main target? But it isn't. Then for some reason people think York is a target when by all the criteria there is out there York is not a particular different schools compared to many, many others. 

You can accuse medical school admissions as being confusing and at times unfair but it is not logically inconsistent most of the time :) You may not know/understand all of their reasons but there are reasons for all the policies. Trouble is like most rumours they are hard to stop once they are released - regardless of what logical arguments you make. 

ha, sarcasm doesn't exactly translate well on the internet :)

medical schools don't favour particular undergraduate schools over others by policy. Doesn't seem to stop endless rumours floating around about it. 

The strange thing is the rumours are contradictory - on one had you have all these people complaining our say Mac Health Science as being a program that is so easy to get great grades in that it is unfair - supposedly widely known fact, and on the other hand from time to time you have people claiming that other schools are considered less worthly because they are somehow easier schools. 

That doesn't make sense - if they were degrading schools somehow because they were known to be easier, wouldn't then say Mac again be the main target? But it isn't. Then for some reason people think York is a target when by all the criteria there is out there York is not a particular different schools compared to many, many others. 

You can accuse medical school admissions as being confusing and at times unfair but it is not logically inconsistent most of the time :) You may not know/understand all of their reasons but there are reasons for all the policies. Trouble is like most rumours they are hard to stop once they are released - regardless of what logical arguments you make. 

I think the gist of the joke post (and possible rumours) is that York is not considered to be an elite/prestigious institution and so its graduates are disadvantaged for admissions.  While of course there is no overt discrimination, Mac Health Sci students do seem to benefit from advantages of being admitted in a very selective program.  The only quantitative admissions data of schools that I know of - from MacLean's suggests that York, compared to its size had very few graduates attending medical school  (20 / total undergraduates 47 000 in 2014) vs usually about 100 out of 200 MacHealth Sci students.  Clearly there would be many factors at play (interest of students, etc..), but from a pure chance point of view, there are clearly differences (I'm not convinced by the argument that York students aren't interested in medicine).

http://www.macleans.ca/education/university/gambling-on-an-m-d/

I think the gist of the joke post (and possible rumours) is that York is not considered to be an elite/prestigious institution and so its graduates are disadvantaged for admissions.  While of course there is no overt discrimination, Mac Health Sci students do seem to benefit from advantages of being admitted in a very selective program.  The only quantitative admissions data of schools that I know of - from MacLean's suggests that York, compared to its size had very few graduates attending medical school  (20 / total undergraduates 47 000 in 2014) vs usually about 100 out of 200 MacHealth Sci students.  Clearly there would be many factors at play (interest of students, etc..), but from a pure chance point of view, there are clearly differences (I'm not convinced by the argument that York students aren't interested in medicine).

http://www.macleans.ca/education/university/gambling-on-an-m-d/

sure - I mean the arguments either way have been discussed extensively on the forum :). The counter point I would make is simply that Mac Health Sci is not the only selective program out there (we can all name dozens of programs that have similar grade requirements to get into for instance), but very few of those programs have the resultant UG GPA on average that Mac Health Sci has. Not judging whether that GPA is appropriate or not, ha, I am merely pointing out it exits (while for say Waterloo comp sci, Engineering science at Toronto.....it does not). I am certainly not arguing that going in the Mac Health Sci looks like a good idea if you can do it for med school purposes - the stats speak for themselves there. 

'

Read that article before - leaves open the question of why a bit. They are certainly making the argument that students that want medicine are going to particular schools creating a culture that self perpetuates itself.  Being around lots of people trying to get into medical school is useful if you are trying to do the same. Perhaps interest sparks resources, including knowing the rules of the system. Also if you are surrounded by people working hard, you are more likely to do the same as well, and that helps advance your application. Like you I think this is likely multi-factorial. I still don't think one of those factors is the medical schools themselves blocking certain schools (or pumping up other ones for that matter). 

I under what the people at York think is going on - if you are an UG school you want your students to access higher level professional schools. It looks good, boosts moral actually, attracts better students, and ultimately leads to more alumni engagement and ha funding. 

Archived