Premed 101 Forums

Mpt Competitiveness 2017, Tips For Mmi?

Hi, Im a UBC kin student and I won't be graduating until 2019 but I got really worried because i knew someone who applied with 90+% average and had amazing references from profs as he worked in several labs, but he didn't get into UBC MPT. I was shocked at this and i started to get really worried, like I think I can get an average in the high 80s but not in the 90s, and I'm already involved in a profs lab, so I'm working on getting my references. I've also volunteered for over a year at a physio clinic now and have been volunteering at a senior home for over 3 years.

tldr; having anxiety over my future because someone i know who was super smart and had good references/volunteer experience didn't get into PT so how competitive exactly was the UBC MPT 2017 admissions if anyone here applied? what are some tips for the MMI? best way to practice?

Hi, Im a UBC kin student and I won't be graduating until 2019 but I got really worried because i knew someone who applied with 90+% average and had amazing references from profs as he worked in several labs, but he didn't get into UBC MPT. I was shocked at this and i started to get really worried, like I think I can get an average in the high 80s but not in the 90s, and I'm already involved in a profs lab, so I'm working on getting my references. I've also volunteered for over a year at a physio clinic now and have been volunteering at a senior home for over 3 years.

tldr; having anxiety over my future because someone i know who was super smart and had good references/volunteer experience didn't get into PT so how competitive exactly was the UBC MPT 2017 admissions if anyone here applied? what are some tips for the MMI? best way to practice?

Hey,

It was probably the interview that brought that individual down, as I know people with lower averages getting in. 

As for MMI tips, I don't think I'm qualified to answer that unfortunately ;)

Hey,

It was probably the interview that brought that individual down, as I know people with lower averages getting in.

Hey, thanks for replying! I was thinking that too.. it was hard to imagine him bombing the interview because he was a very likeable clever guy, but who knows how we act under pressure! I know you can't discuss what questions you got ESPECIALLY not over internet, but are we required to know economical/political issues surrounding PT etc? I know that for example pharmacy it would be good to know issues on mariijuana, euthanasia, fentanyl, etc because many ethical questions surround those, but what topics do you recommend reading up a bit on regarding the profession of physical therapists that are debatable/open to discussion?

Hey, thanks for replying! I was thinking that too.. it was hard to imagine him bombing the interview because he was a very likeable clever guy, but who knows how we act under pressure! I know you can't discuss what questions you got ESPECIALLY not over internet, but are we required to know economical/political issues surrounding PT etc? I know that for example pharmacy it would be good to know issues on mariijuana, euthanasia, fentanyl, etc because many ethical questions surround those, but what topics do you recommend reading up a bit on regarding the profession of physical therapists that are debatable/open to discussion?

I didn't interview for PT but I interviewed for dentistry. For MMI there were some current issues type of things, but they weren't specific to dentistry (or even health care) related. More so just random topics to see how you think on your feet it seemed. 

Not sure about PT. 

Hey,

As someone who got into UBC without having a 90%+ i can attest to that. :P

If you're curious about the whole MMI process UBC outlines it pretty well in their FAQ section on the MPT website. 

As for MMI tips (like you say we can't discuss exact questions) I do have a few suggestions, just for what worked for me. 

The post above by Bambi is a great guide and i used it (and others) to help me formulate the first part of my answers like pretty much every applicant will do:

Discuss both sides/parties/pros's cons/impact

Consider any ethical implications (know the 4 pillars of medical ethics)

etc, etc

However, you have to understand that you are competing against 160+ other qualified people all with A averages who all know the generic MMI responses. Try to think of what is going to set you apart from them, this is where bringing in your experiences is crucial. For example I've had clients who barely speak English, died from Fentanyl, had brain damage, chronic diseases etc.  

Think of the underlying theme of a question (ie patient rights/automony, cost/benefit etc) and you'll have a few examples from experiences in your back pocket that you may be able to speak to in reflection. 

My outline was basically:

2-3 minutes, introduction and cookie cutter answer

2 minutes personal experience 

1 minute, follow up questions or in case you go too long with other parts (haha) 

Other things are to relax and smile, you can even crack a joke if the question or context is appropriate (I made a few interviewers laugh) 

I think it's great you are looking into your future options even with 2 years left in undergrad, great initiative. 

Hope it helps and best of luck. 

Archived