Premed 101 Forums

Western Abs/ps

I was wondering if anyone could break down the format of the ABS/PS to me with specifics. What are the specific categories for the ABS? To those accepted, how did you go about writing your Personal statement? What would make a well rounded applicant with regards to ECs? If you could go back and change something about the ECs you did/didnt do what would you try and do different/get more involved with? I know there isn't a generic perfect abs/ps and that your unique experiences and how much you contribute/accomplish with them is much more important but is there any advice you would give to someone looking to write a strong abs/ps. 

ABS Categories:

Academic Awards
Other Awards
Employment

Hobbies

Leadership 

Shadowing

Research

Volunteer

When UWO came out with the ABS I knew it would be a significant portion of the new application process, so I found out what the categories were and looked at what parts I was lacking in. Basically I wanted to fill in all the holes to be the best applicant I could possibly be. So let's say you don't have research experience. I'd say go out and make it your mission to find some research experience immediately so you'll be a stronger applicant. Don't leave anything blank.

For the personal statement, I went through at least five versions until I was fully satisfied with it, spending the entire winter break perfecting it. I asked my more trusted, intelligent friends to provide feedback in terms of word choice and flow. I also tried to make my PS stand out by making it relate to a specific hobby of mine. This might be obvious, but my advice for the PS is to make sure you write something that no one else will write about; don't be generic.

I agree with what Waves said, there is no clear cut formula for what to do, but you want your PS to showcase how you are unique by illustrating your strengths, motivation, and goals. Go through your ABS and find activities that you think best showcase who you are, and how you would be a great dentist. Since word count is limited, make sure every line is making a point and is unique to you. Rule of thumb is if you can copy and paste any section of your PS into another applicants, its probably not strong enough. Use concrete examples and be specific, and keep the fluff to a minimun. Anyone can talk about wanting to help people or how they like dentistry, but if you can illustrate it with specific, concrete examples, you're golden.

Thanks a lot for the help guys, it means a lot. Also in the ABS, do you just list your activities for each and a reference, or do you provide a short description or what? Also, I know it is obviously quality over quantity but around how many activities did you guys have for each? Would it not be ideal to have only one or two in a category? 

No worries at all, I know how stressful this is and am glad to help.

Only for the leadership one did we have to provide a description, the rest is just listing.

I only had 1 item in the other awards section, 2 in employment, and 3 in research (which I did all in the past year), the rest I had the max amount which is 5.

It wasn't very clear on whether we were supposed to provide a description or not but I wrote down a one line description for each activity. I'd say try to have at least three in each category but as you know, longevity and quality are probably much more important.

Nice. Also is there any tips you guys would have in regards to research. I am about to start working in my first research position now after second year, but it is just like a general kinda lab assistant doing some genotyping and cleaning around the lab. Were your research activities similar, did you have publications? I am unsure of how to make that jump from research assistant to having my name published on articles/doing a poster presentation. I am also in a non-sciency undergrad so I can't apply to many of those official undergrad research programs often offered by the science faculties. Also for shadowing, how would you guys approach it? I am planning to shadow about 3 GPs and one orthodontist for about 50ish hours each, would that be too little do you guys think, should I aim for more dentists/more hours with each. Also, say one of my work things is also one of my best leadership things, assuming you can't include it in both do you think I should put it in the leadership since they ask for a description.

I had 65 hours of GP shadowing but I also did a lot of dentist networking in which I really got to know a lot about the industry (100+ hours). I think the number of shadowing hours you'll have is more than sufficient.

I think I maxed out every section of the ABS (I also had research - IMO any research is fine). I had 7 abstracts and 2 publications in progress but I don't think that is as important as just having the research experience. Understand that research entails various important evidence-based skills, discipline, inquiry, etc. that any health care practitioner would need to be successful. It's not about the type of research or how many publications but what your role was as the researcher and what skills you acquired during your tenure as a researcher.

Put ABS items so that it's most evenly distributed if possible - you don't want to have any sections super thin, if that makes sense.

In terms of the essays, I'm not the strongest writer and I didn't get anyone to read my essays (which actually worked out better than McGill - a lot of people read my McGill essays and I wasn't as successful at McGill). I just trusted myself, made probably 10 revisions, and tried to be genuine and memorable. There isn't necessarily a right or wrong answer, but there are things they look for or would screen out.

The ABS/PS IMO are very important. Can it compensate for a lower GPA and DAT? I think so to a certain extent. Do your best and submit it when you feel comfortable. 

Nice. Also is there any tips you guys would have in regards to research. I am about to start working in my first research position now after second year, but it is just like a general kinda lab assistant doing some genotyping and cleaning around the lab. Were your research activities similar, did you have publications? I am unsure of how to make that jump from research assistant to having my name published on articles/doing a poster presentation. I am also in a non-sciency undergrad so I can't apply to many of those official undergrad research programs often offered by the science faculties. Also for shadowing, how would you guys approach it? I am planning to shadow about 3 GPs and one orthodontist for about 50ish hours each, would that be too little do you guys think, should I aim for more dentists/more hours with each. Also, say one of my work things is also one of my best leadership things, assuming you can't include it in both do you think I should put it in the leadership since they ask for a description.

A lot of people in our class (2020) didn't have shadowing or had minimal. But it was also the first year that they did the abs and it wasn't released until November (I think), so people wouldn't have known they wanted shadowing. I'd imagine that over the next couple of years, the amount of shadowing they consider to be 'good' will increase, as will the amount of shadowing that applicants have.

With that being said, 200 hours of shadowing is a lot and to me that seems like it would be on the higher end of the spectrum for applicants.

What is considered "maxed out" for the ABS section, how many slots are there that you can fill for each of the sections. Also, when does the ABS/PS become available to begin and around when is the deadline usually. Thanks again for the helpful advice guys.

Category (Maximum # of Entries)

Awards (5) - Starting from undergrad onwards

Employment (5) - Starting from undergrad onwards

Hobbies (3)

Leadership/Teamwork Skills (5)  - Starting from undergrad onwards

Shadowing/Dentistry Experience (5)

Research (No Max)  - Starting from undergrad onwards

Volunteer (5) - Starting from undergrad onwards

I didn't max employment (had 3) and shadowing/dentistry experience (had 2) but maxed everything else and had 3 entries for research. 

Deadline is first few weekdays of January (may vary slightly from year to year). You can definitely start and finish it all over the winter break (2 weeks is more than enough if you focus). I think the ABS/PS comes out early Nov but please correct me if I am wrong.

I had around 100 hours of shadowing – most US schools recommend 100 hours so I think that's a good amount. For research I had one publication. Maybe when you've become closer with your supervisor you can ask him/her if there are any further opportunities for you to participate in like poster presentations and such. If you do a thesis in 4th year that'll definitely help since IIRC they told us to include research projects in the research section.

Also keep in mind that the ABS categories may change slightly because the previous year's ABS was a tad different (e.g. instead of hobbies, there was a section outlining what activities you've done in your life that prove you're sufficient at manual dexterity). 

• 1 year later...

Archived