Premed 101 Forums

-------------------

------

All in all, I feel optimistic. I know I have an almost guaranteed interview at Mac based on my stats. Toronto too, because of my letters, if the letters are really worth ~20% and GPA 60%. I'm hopeful for Queens and Ottawa, but it depends on whether they see my ABS as unique or lacking, and whether my letters will hold weight in their judgement.

If you asked grade 12 me 3 years ago (which was around when I decided to pursue medicine seriously, not as some dream but as a goal) if I wanted to be in this situation I would have bit your arm off.

You will get interviews at all 4 schools with those truly impressive stats.   You still need to do well in the interviews to get an offer.   Humility and sincerity are important traits.  Practice interviewing and have people (who you do not know) provide candid feedback on how you come across. Look for any weakness in your presentation skills and work that in preparation for the interviews.

9 hours ago, MitralLunar said:

Pretty sure shit-post. Post screenshot of your MCAT score...

BTW what are my chances?

McatII.PNG

Haha, if that's really your MCAT score then I'm sure you've also realized that having a super high MCAT score is not really that useful in Ontario. Useless for Toronto and Ottawa, and only CARS matters at Mac, so it's really not helping me as much as you'd think. Which is somewhat of a good thing in my opinion, because after a certain point it just becomes, as my friend puts it, a dick-measuring contest which we can see a prime example of here. 

I would apply to the high-ranking US schools but I want to stay in Canada and I don't want to go to a school where the proudest achievement of the students is their score on an exam. I believe in the validity of the MCAT to measure reasoning and knowledge, but I know as well as anyone that doing well on an exam is not the be all and end all of being a good doctor.

8 hours ago, Meridian said:

You will get interviews at all 4 schools with those truly impressive stats.   You still need to do well in the interviews to get an offer.   Humility and sincerity are important traits.  Practice interviewing and have people (who you do not know) provide candid feedback on how you come across. Look for any weakness in your presentation skills and work that in preparation for the interviews.

You don't think my "minimalist" ABS will get in the way at Ottawa and Toronto where my MCAT  won't help me? Is it one of those things where they say they don't take it into consideration but it might still influence them?

9 minutes ago, yohohoy said:

You don't think my "minimalist" ABS will get in the way at Ottawa and Toronto where my MCAT  won't help me? Is it one of those things where they say they don't take it into consideration but it might still influence them?

It's about quality over quantity with the ABS. I had 2 friends with few (21, 25) but meaningful activities, and they got into U of T and Queen's, respectively. If your activities are as strong as you say they are, I wouldn't be worried.

On 2017. 10. 3. at 10:30 AM, yohohoy said:

Haha, if that's really your MCAT score then I'm sure you've also realized that having a super high MCAT score is not really that useful in Ontario. Useless for Toronto and Ottawa, and only CARS matters at Mac, so it's really not helping me as much as you'd think. Which is somewhat of a good thing in my opinion, because after a certain point it just becomes, as my friend puts it, a dick-measuring contest which we can see a prime example of here. 

I would apply to the high-ranking US schools but I want to stay in Canada and I don't want to go to a school where the proudest achievement of the students is their score on an exam. I believe in the validity of the MCAT to measure reasoning and knowledge, but I know as well as anyone that doing well on an exam is not the be all and end all of being a good doctor.

20 minutes ago, MitralLunar said:

Um.. that is my real score and unlike you troll, I proved it. Btw 4.0 GPA is a given and multiple publications and conferences as well. Stop being a hater, there is always someone better than you.

Alright man, sorry for bothering you. I'm deleting this thread anyway.

Btw, I never said that wasn't your real score. The point I was making was that a high MCAT score doesn't matter in Ontario and that high MCATs are more about competitiveness than actual validity after a certain point.

I don't doubt that there are many people better than me.

I hope this isn't how you interact with people in person.

• yohohoy changed the title to .

Archived