Premed 101 Forums

LORs Question

Pecan

Hey guys,

So I've been reading through the letter of recommendation requirements for each of these schools (since my school doesn't have a premedical advisory committee), and I noticed that certain schools like Boston for example, require letters of reference from professors that taught either physics, chemistry or biology. I guess this is more so to the people that have already gone through this process, but how did you go about obtaining these? I don't know about everyone else, but my classes for these had about 300 students or so, so there definitely wasn't any one-on-one contact or anything. So aside from them acknowledging that I got a certain grade in their class, what else can really be said? I'm sorry, I'm just not used to this style of LOR, certainly not when I went through OMSAS this year. 

Any input would be very helpful. Thank you.

At this point there's not much you can do, but you can participate appropriately during class time, regularly attend office hours to discuss course content so they can get to know you, take multiple classes with the same prof, excel in the laboratory components, ask about any bonus projects or research/review opportunities for poster presentations etc. Consider profs of advanced seminar/discussion courses with smaller class size, or classes with reports/essays/projects as opposed to just exams so that the prof can see some of your thought process/critical thinking in your work. If you never spoke to a prof and you were just 1/300 then you're not going to get far, unfortunately.

Archived