Premed 101 Forums

Keeping busy until Match day

Dermviser

53 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

bravo - I mean I am hearing all this other institutional approaches but I really do rank match day up there with other key life event days. Going to work on Match day to me is almost kind of like going to work on your Wedding day. 

Cant have the fragile academic staff having to write a note, see their own patients or god forbid visit the ER.....

4 hours ago, GrouchoMarx said:

match day is life affirming or life destroying. ive seen both.

no matter which it is, the next step is booze.

go shopping for a nice single malt scotch. dive deep into the brands. thatll occupy your time before match day.

I’m pregnant so booze is out. I’ll be the only person at the match party with a tall glass of ginger ale. 

Makes me the automatic DD I suppose though. 

No they are time-locked with javascrip.

im pretty sure people at Red_Dit could analyze the source page and figure the right javascript code to inject into the page to bypass this and show the result way earlier. But now it doesnt matter since its only some hours from now.

On 2/27/2018 at 3:26 PM, mjd2012 said:

any possible chance that match results will be posted before Thursday at 12:00 noon? have they come out any earlier in the morning, for example, in the past? or is it always dead on?

Has never happened - it is pretty locked down. 

1 hour ago, AlexMD said:

No they are time-locked with javascrip.

im pretty sure people at Red_Dit could analyze the source page and figure the right javascript code to inject into the page to bypass this and show the result way earlier. But now it doesnt matter since its only some hours from now.

Ha, sure but if I was programming it there would also be locks on the database access as well. You can do whatever you want to the javascript but the data simply isn't there to play with 

5 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

Ha, sure but if I was programming it there would also be locks on the database access as well. You can do whatever you want to the javascript but the data simply isn't there to play with 

good point. anyways its not a couple hours that will change nothing now.

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎27 at 11:53 AM, NLengr said:

Cant have the fragile academic staff having to write a note, see their own patients or god forbid visit the ER.....

I was on a surgical rotation on my match day, and they kept us there all day!  We literally had to sneak away to check our results.  The staff even kept us for teaching from 4-5pm despite knowing that it was our match day!  One poor girl matched but to a distant location and was devastated and we sat there getting pimped.  Truly still bitter thinking back on it 6 years later.  

20 minutes ago, goleafsgochris said:

I was on a surgical rotation on my match day, and they kept us there all day!  We literally had to sneak away to check our results.  The staff even kept us for teaching from 4-5pm despite knowing that it was our match day!  One poor girl matched but to a distant location and was devastated and we sat there getting pimped.  Truly still bitter thinking back on it 6 years later.  

Yeah that is officially reaching the point of being an ass. 

Rule 1 for match day: Don't be an ass.  

1 hour ago, rmorelan said:

Yeah that is officially reaching the point of being an ass. 

Rule 1 for match day: Don't be an ass.  

I guess they actually established the new standard on "how to be an ass for your clerks on Match day".

8 minutes ago, MDLaval said:

I guess they actually established the new standard on "how to be an ass for your clerks on Match day".

oh yeah, right up there with sticking someone on call the night of the match so they cannot go out and celebrate with their entire class. Or the patented hold this retractor in the OR for 3 hours from 11:30-2:30 on match day. No moving now. Classic

8 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

oh yeah, right up there with sticking someone on call the night of the match so they cannot go out and celebrate with their entire class. Or the patented hold this retractor in the OR for 3 hours from 11:30-2:30 on match day. No moving now. Classic

I'd probably contaminate myself 'by mistake' at around 11:55 and say I have to use the toilet real quick.

20 minutes ago, AlexMD said:

I'd probably contaminate myself 'by mistake' at around 11:55 and say I have to use the toilet real quick.

Ha, try that any they just make you hug the wall of the rest of the time. Won't want you to lose out on the educational opportunity.

4 minutes ago, Birdy said:

That felt slightly anticlimactic. One of my mad refreshes worked and I matched my first choice. 

Now we figure out the details. 

Congrats!

(as strange as it sounds for MOST people it is anti-climatic - this is where all those stats kick in. It is only dramatic when it doesn't work)

22 minutes ago, Birdy said:

That felt slightly anticlimactic. One of my mad refreshes worked and I matched my first choice. 

Now we figure out the details. 

Congrats!! 

Got my 1st choice too. Really happy.

Congrats to everyone. 

Archived