Premed 101 Forums

What is the best choice?

I’m in that position right now. If it’s an important course in your degree, just get that C+ and move on. It’s not the only course you are taking anyway. If you did well in your other courses you might end up with the same cGPA or more.

Bottomline is, just move on and do well in upper year courses.

3 minutes ago, biochem4 said:

I’m in that position right now. If it’s an important course in your degree, just get that C+ and move on. It’s not the only course you are taking anyway. If you did well in your other courses you might end up with the same cGPA or more.

Bottomline is, just move on and do well in upper year courses.

Thanks for the reply. Well This is my last and 5th year. So if I go with C+ 3.81 is what my GPA will be. 

Ps. I am pettioning the course which I got a C+ in. So I am not taking this course at the time.

4 minutes ago, ExercMed said:

Also was in this situation. I withdrew! The only thing to be cautious of is that you will be dropping from a full course load (I assume) to 4 courses in a semester. This could disqualify you from some weighting calculations when you apply (UofT comes to mind). 

yeah we need more information to do that assessment as dropping courses impacts special rules at several schools :) Your cGPA is important but what about your yearly break down and MCAT?

4 hours ago, rmorelan said:

yeah we need more information to do that assessment as dropping courses impacts special rules at several schools :) Your cGPA is important but what about your yearly break down and MCAT?

I have full course load for all my years. So if I withdraw only school that is going to be effected will be UofT. On the other hand my GPA for ottawa, Mac and Queens and Us med schools will be affectted. At the moment my FW GPAs are as follows:

W13: 3.8(started school in winter, my full course load was minimzed to 9 credits instead of 15 since I am a ESL student)

FW14: 3.78

FW15: 3.58

FW16: 3.89

FW17: 3.79(including the C+) ; taking C+ will increase it to 3.96

FW18: 3.9 ( I have some courses left, but this is the minimum I will get)

MCAT: (130,130,129,130) 

Hmm, I don't think dropping or keeping it affects anything at Western and Queen's.

In terms of McMaster, your GPA will probably be about 0.03 lower which doesn't seem like a big deal. 

The big question is will your 4th year (3.96 GPA) still be counted as full-time if you drop the course for Ottawa?

If not, then there is no point dropping it, because your wGPA will be higher for Ottawa & Toronto automatically, and only makes a 0.03 difference in McMaster.

2 hours ago, brady23 said:

Hmm, I don't think dropping or keeping it affects anything at Western and Queen's.

In terms of McMaster, your GPA will probably be about 0.03 lower which doesn't seem like a big deal. 

The big question is will your 4th year (3.96 GPA) still be counted as full-time if you drop the course for Ottawa?

If not, then there is no point dropping it, because your wGPA will be higher for Ottawa & Toronto automatically, and only makes a 0.03 difference in McMaster.

I am following a similar logic - the dropping of the course basically loses TO as a possibility- that is wiping out a major school, and the cost would hit Ottawa probably the hardest. Without dropping you on paper look competitive GPA wise for TO and you have a solid MCAT for them. I am not even sure you get the cut off (would have to do the math) to have Ottawa next year regardless of dropping.

My point is this is the sort of planning you have to go through :) Each school, each set of rules, each year broken down and factored in. That way you at least have no surprises.  

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Soltan said:

Doesn't OMSAS want us to assign a failed grade for W in the post secondary education section? 

This has got me really worried. 

A W is usually assigned to the transcript for a dropped course and holds no academic penalty. You simply do not enter it on OMSAS. 

https://www.ouac.on.ca/faq/academic-record-withdrawn-course/

1 hour ago, Soltan said:

Doesn't OMSAS want us to assign a failed grade for W in the post secondary education section? 

This has got me really worried. 

Having 1 W is not a big deal in itself. I had one and still got two interviews. The only downside is if it makes you ineligible for weighting. (Mine was in 1st year, so it made me ineligible for weighting at U of T, but otherwise, did not cause any issues). 

Archived