Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

FAQ: Should I Rewrite the MCAT (And other MCAT Score related Questions)

• Please log in to reply
318 replies to this topic

#301 Morinphen

Morinphen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

Oh man! You got a 129/128/130/128 and you're in nursing?? Did you take the "prereqs" before writing or just self-study?

I took biochem/orgo in my first undergrad, so I was somewhat familiar with the material despite doing very poorly. Are you in nursing too?

#302 PeterPatting

PeterPatting

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

I took biochem/orgo in my first undergrad, so I was somewhat familiar with the material despite doing very poorly. Are you in nursing too?

Yup although I did take gen chem in the summer. Took the MCAT last year and got a 127/125/126/128. Studying for the sciences was absolutely brutal man... (the amount of times I thought to myself - should've majored in bio or some science degree instead of nursing lol)

#303 PD23

PD23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:49 PM

MCAT: 518 (129/127/130/132)

Really worried about CARS holding me back. I'm an Ontario resident and don't really know if it's worth rewriting for one section that is borderline for most schools. My GPA is currently at a 3.87 but should be higher next cycle once it includes my 4th year marks. Thoughts?

#304 lulu95

lulu95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:25 PM

MCAT: 518 (129/127/130/132)

Really worried about CARS holding me back. I'm an Ontario resident and don't really know if it's worth rewriting for one section that is borderline for most schools. My GPA is currently at a 3.87 but should be higher next cycle once it includes my 4th year marks. Thoughts?

How long did you prep for CARS the first time around? It depends on if you think you'll be able to improve, and which schools you want to get into. If you want Mac and uOttawa, then you'll need to either rewrite or have an amazing CASPer. I'm not too sure about the other provinces, but Calgary also weighs CARS heavily, and you'd be disadvantaged as OOP.

Yeah, Ontario residency....... Basically, consider whether you think a 127 is the best you could do, and whether you would improve with more studying. And also how long it's been since you've touched a physics/biochem/physiology etc textbook (whether your stellar scores in the other sections would be negatively impacted).

Schulich Class of 2021

#305 m_jacob_45

m_jacob_45

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:17 AM

How long did you prep for CARS the first time around? It depends on if you think you'll be able to improve, and which schools you want to get into. If you want Mac and uOttawa, then you'll need to either rewrite or have an amazing CASPer. I'm not too sure about the other provinces, but Calgary also weighs CARS heavily, and you'd be disadvantaged as OOP.

Yeah, Ontario residency....... Basically, consider whether you think a 127 is the best you could do, and whether you would improve with more studying. And also how long it's been since you've touched a physics/biochem/physiology etc textbook (whether your stellar scores in the other sections would be negatively impacted).

Just wanted to add that Ottawa does not look at the MCAT at all. 

• iweepfortheyweep likes this

#306 iweepfortheyweep

iweepfortheyweep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:13 PM

I did my MCAT last summer to get 131/128/131/128. It sounds crazy that I'd want to redo it but I spent a total of 5 days for CARS prep and I feel like it's holding me back. Is it worthwhile to redo the MCAT just for the CARS?

Your career is just one way to define yourself.

#307 iweepfortheyweep

iweepfortheyweep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:14 PM

Just wanted to add that Ottawa does not look at the MCAT at all.

I'm pretty sure they look at MCAT now.
  • m_jacob_45 likes this

#308 m_jacob_45

m_jacob_45

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

According to their website they do not currently look at it (though that could change in the future of course).
  • iweepfortheyweep likes this

#309 iweepfortheyweep

iweepfortheyweep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

According to their website they do not currently look at it (though that could change in the future of course).

I'm sorry I blanked out. I was thinking of Casper. You're right!

#310 m_jacob_45

m_jacob_45

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:43 PM

I did my MCAT last summer to get 131/128/131/128. It sounds crazy that I'd want to redo it but I spent a total of 5 days for CARS prep and I feel like it's holding me back. Is it worthwhile to redo the MCAT just for the CARS?

No I don't think I would redo it unless you are very sure you could easily get all the same scores for the other sections. The only place this score is holding you back is most likely Western, depending on your gpa...

#311 slickvic

slickvic

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

129/125/128/125 

No interviews this round.. GPA is 3.95

I know I should be re-taking it to increase my chances at Mac/Queens/Western, but I'm so tired and burnt out at this point that I kind of want to just take a year off , re-apply in September hoping for Toronto/Ottawa, and then just re-write next year if I don't get in again... Any thoughts on this? 

#312 iweepfortheyweep

iweepfortheyweep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:34 AM

129/125/128/125

No interviews this round.. GPA is 3.95

I know I should be re-taking it to increase my chances at Mac/Queens/Western, but I'm so tired and burnt out at this point that I kind of want to just take a year off , re-apply in September hoping for Toronto/Ottawa, and then just re-write next year if I don't get in again... Any thoughts on this?

Depends on how much of a hurry you're in. If you don't need to get in this year, I'd advise not doing the MCAT because it's a huge commitment that requires lots of attention.

That being said, you have a great chance at Ottawa with that GPA.

#313 drang

drang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:40 PM

My MCAT (New score written 2015) is 506: chem 124/cars 127/ bio 128/ psych 127

Should I retake?

What should I focus my studying on, as in which section do you think I should improve on the most?

I am trying to get in to U of M.

#314 revenant

revenant

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:51 PM

Correct, their website indicates they're not looking at it for the moment, however I think this was updated because it was confusing applicants last cycle when they first announced their MCAT consideration. I believe the website will reflect their incorporation of the MCAT in July once OMSAS launches. At the same time, if the applicant is applying via French stream, the MCAT will likely not apply considering there is no French version (as done for the LSAT by UOttawa's Faculty of Law).

#315 dastruggles

dastruggles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:16 AM

3.89 and 515- 127/128/131/129 considering a rewrite for Western alone. I had interviews this year but I realized that my pre interview scores are quite low for the schools I was given because of my lack of ECs (barely made the interview cutoff for Calgary). Western and Mac are my best shots realistically and next cycle I'm only applying to Mac Western and UofT after reflecting on other factors in my life. Any alternative opinions?

#316 troy345

troy345

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:50 AM

Recently got my score and am wondering if it's competitive for the upcoming cycle:

GPA: 3.90

MCAT: 129/125/129/131

I am concerned that the 125 is going to hurt me :\

Thoughts?

• troy345 likes this

#317 m_jacob_45

m_jacob_45

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:09 PM

Recently got my score and am wondering if it's competitive for the upcoming cycle:

GPA: 3.90

MCAT: 129/125/129/131

I am concerned that the 125 is going to hurt me :\

Thoughts?

If you plan to go to a Canadian med school, I think you will need to rewrite unless you apply just to schools that don't look at the mcat at all... and you would probably be ok at U of T. The rest of schools that use the mcat will require a higher CARS. If you would consider going to the US, I think your mcat score would be competitive there. Good luck! 

#318 geegee94

geegee94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:07 PM

Hey everyone!

Debating whether or not I should re-write the MCAT this summer. My only concern is that I wrote it two summers ago and I'm working full time as part of my Master's so I'm worried about doing worse and messing up my chances for next cycle. I'm an Ontario resident. 

Score: 511

(Chem/Physics) 128 

(CARS) 126

(Bio) 127

(Psych) 130

cGPA: 3.93

Any thoughts on this? Thank you!

#319 samual

samual

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts