Premed 101 Forums

Consequences of rejecting offer?

Received a single offer for Western off of waitlist, but am considering taking a year or two off before doing medicine. What would happen if I rejected my only offer? Would I be blacklisted from Western or other medical schools in the future? I've already given my tuition deposit and indicated that I am interested in accepting, I just have not yet confirmed on OMSAS (which I must do by Wednesday)

57 minutes ago, FrickinFoucault said:

Received a single offer for Western off of waitlist, but am considering taking a year or two off before doing medicine. What would happen if I rejected my only offer? Would I be blacklisted from Western or other medical schools in the future? I've already given my tuition deposit and indicated that I am interested in accepting, I just have not yet confirmed on OMSAS (which I must do by Wednesday)

Any possibility of requesting for a deferral (for a year)?

I don't think rejecting would cause you any problems. I've heard it does, but it sounds more like premed rumours. Realistically, I see good reasons for them to discriminate against you in the future only in you accept, and then decide to simply not go.

Deferral is indeed your best bet. I tried it myself, but my school doesn't do deferrals :(. Hopefully Western does!

44 minutes ago, jul059 said:

I don't think rejecting would cause you any problems. I've heard it does, but it sounds more like premed rumours.

Might come from the US, where AMCAS asks if you've ever been offered a seat in an MD (and maybe DO) school. Answering yes blacklists you from basically everywhere over there. If there's no disclosure, then I don't realistically see how it might affect your odds of getting in anywhere else

Hey all, sorry for the delayed reply. Was thinking of taking a year off to just unwind from many years of school, prepare myself for medicine, and give myself a chance to apply for MD/PhD programs (which I hadn't done before). But, after talking to numerous people and seeing all of your responses (I know I'm not eligible for a deferral), I decided to accept my offer! Thank you for all of your replies! 

On 6/7/2018 at 9:36 PM, FrickinFoucault said:

Thanks! And really? I know that that's acceptable at U of T, but would you know if that's the case at Western? 

It's acceptable in at least one other medical school. It's not uncommon to hear people interrupting their studies to do a graduate degree, but all kinds of things are negotiable once you are enrolled.

What did you end up doing? Did you defer or reject the offer?

Archived