Premed 101 Forums

Program Descriptions

I'm looking to see what letter requirements etc. different programs have, and I can't seem to find it. The program descriptions page just has a chart with the number of spots, but no details about what they expect.

Am I just not finding it, or is it not up yet? And if not, is there a way to see last year's descriptions to get an idea?

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, shikimate said:

So it appears there have been reduction in size of residencies. For example Western has 142+2 = 144 spots for CMG yet the class size is 171, so like 30 people don't even have spots at their home school?

true ha - although I am not sure that is too surprising for some of the schools. It is a bit extra odd for SWOMEN as the point of the school is to keep people. The difference is probably mostly the Windsor class.

I am still surprised we are keeping things at this level in terms of admission quotas - although that is of course a good thing for many people on the forum. 

1 minute ago, The Ace of Spades said:

It is for the short-term... but it's not until you're in the thick of it that you realize it's bad for the long-term...

ha true - at the beginning that seems like some other days problem of course. 

Even worse than going unmatched, or not getting into medical school in the first place is not having a job on the way out for a long length of time. 15 years of work with no pay off - ouch.  

Not every school's program descriptions are up (almost a week after the deadline... I'm looking at you, Calgary, McGill and Toronto) but it's sad and disconcerting to see the number of CMG spots is essentially unchanged from last year. Dalhousie added 14 spots this year, some schools have even cut, albeit slightly: Sask -2, Alberta -4. To Sask's credit, they made several former IMG spots "competitive" this year so CMGs can apply for them too. There's a few new MOTP-designated spots at places like Western and Queen's, probably part of the military's drive to fill physician vacancies.

Overall, it doesn't seem like there's any concerted effort to address the unmatched CMG problem. We may have a somewhat smaller backlog than last year after Ontario made an extra 50+ spots, but that cleared at most 50% of the accumulated backlog of unmatched graduates nationwide.

1 hour ago, shematoma said:

Not every school's program descriptions are up (almost a week after the deadline... I'm looking at you, Calgary, McGill and Toronto) but it's sad and disconcerting to see the number of CMG spots is essentially unchanged from last year. Dalhousie added 14 spots this year, some schools have even cut, albeit slightly: Sask -2, Alberta -4. To Sask's credit, they made several former IMG spots "competitive" this year so CMGs can apply for them too. There's a few new MOTP-designated spots at places like Western and Queen's, probably part of the military's drive to fill physician vacancies.

Overall, it doesn't seem like there's any concerted effort to address the unmatched CMG problem. We may have a somewhat smaller backlog than last year after Ontario made an extra 50+ spots, but that cleared at most 50% of the accumulated backlog of unmatched graduates nationwide.

when they do add anything I suspect it will be surrounded by a lot of fan fair. None of the provinces seem to be in any particular hurry to change anything at all. 

UBC has added a "CMG ROS" category to a 1st round derm spot (but nothing else) - maybe they're trying out the concept?  

While it would be fairly drastic for CMGs to start going to the US in large numbers, it looks like Health Canada is no longer mentioning firm caps on SONs for J-1 visas in the US (looks like "implied" caps).  This should impact IMGs (and USMGs) much more.  However, given that they must return to Canada after their training, there could be issues down the road in specialties with few jobs, given the large number of IMGs.  

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/health-care-system/health-human-resources/statements-need-postgraduate-medical-training-united-states.html

1 hour ago, tere said:

UBC has added a "CMG ROS" category to a 1st round derm spot (but nothing else) - maybe they're trying out the concept?  

While it would be fairly drastic for CMGs to start going to the US in large numbers, it looks like Health Canada is no longer mentioning firm caps on SONs for J-1 visas in the US (looks like "implied" caps).  This should impact IMGs (and USMGs) much more.  However, given that they must return to Canada after their training, there could be issues down the road in specialties with few jobs, given the large number of IMGs.  

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/health-care-system/health-human-resources/statements-need-postgraduate-medical-training-united-states.html

Correct me if I'm wrong but this doesn't affect Canadian USMGs who can get an OPT work permit to start residency, followed by H1B visa. They don't have to deal with J1 visas or the SON process. These individuals usually have the option of staying in the US long term (whether they want to is a different story).

32 minutes ago, shematoma said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but this doesn't affect Canadian USMGs who can get an OPT work permit to start residency, followed by H1B visa. They don't have to deal with J1 visas or the SON process. These individuals usually have the option of staying in the US long term (whether they want to is a different story).

USMGs with OPTs wouldn't be affected  - agree.

Archived